PDA

View Full Version : SH5 Do not ignore clouds

W_clear
09-27-09, 09:32 AM
You can only see the sky, clouds and sea when the submarine on patrol in the Atlantic Ocean.Changes in the sea and clouds make you not lonely.My English is poor, I hope everybpdy can understand.:hmmm:

There are many types of clouds when the mebium clouds the weather,And now there is only one species in SH4,It is very bad.

GoldenRivet
09-27-09, 09:53 AM
I know what you're trying to say, and i agree.

Dowly
09-27-09, 12:21 PM
Gotta agree aswell. SH series need to seriously make the player go 'WOW' when it comes the enviroment. It's been 'OK' in the earlier games, but like W_clear said, we see alot of the water and sky during the patrols so. ;)

JU_88
09-27-09, 01:13 PM
Volumetric fog would be nice, that means fog where you can actually see the swirl, like the kind in Silent hill 2 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21s45Yel5VM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvNGGFN3M (one of the greatest games every made btw)

Volumetric clouds would allow for histoical ambushes from aircraft - but imho its way too much to ask for a subsim :)

Brag
09-27-09, 01:38 PM
It would be a break to see cumulous clouds of an approaching front, or if nothing else just a change of scenery. Aircraft coming out of clouds would be nasty surprise, too.

Could the weather work something like the convoys move? A storm or other weather phenomena could extend for X number of miles and move across the game world.

High cloud preceeding a warm front, Cumoulous advancing across a clear sky with and whithout squall lines in the fore of a cold front.

Areas of fog could move like storms.

by changing the frequency and routes, more realistic and different climatic conditions would be a chieved.

:know:

Adriatico
09-27-09, 03:22 PM
Right W_clear :up:

Sea and Sky (Environment) was sometimes neglected with explanation "it's simulation, who cares about beauty..."

Environment visuals in modern sim are must!

It gives you feeling of really being there :o.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3703/environ.jpg

If only SH3 had modern environment visuals, I would play it for years to come...

MRV
09-27-09, 08:05 PM
Fully agree with that too. I think about this every time I see the real ocean. For example instead of having one type of thunderstorm with heavy fog like in SH 3 and 4, I would love to see the storm building up in the skies like this:

http://www.beautifulvista.com/Recent_Photos/Bike_Ride_Photos/Thunderstorm_Sunset_May_19_2004.jpg

THE_MASK
09-27-09, 08:06 PM
Stop trying to make sh5 suit old outdated hardware and give us some [descent]sp. graphics .

Dowly
09-27-09, 08:10 PM
Stop trying to make sh5 suit old outdated hardware and give us some [descent]sp. graphics .

You gotta remember that this isnt some new hotshot, overlyhyped, reviewerbribing FPS game we are talking about. Doing "Crysis" with SH5 would propably cut the sales with 30-40% due to ppl not being able to run it. And that would be the end of SH series.

mookiemookie
09-27-09, 10:59 PM
Volumetric clouds would allow for histoical ambushes from aircraft - but imho its way too much to ask for a subsim :)

Maybe volumetric clouds is too much to ask, but working air ambushes in to the game somehow would be great.

Adriatico
09-28-09, 01:38 AM
Sober is right!

SH5 and other simulations are developed to last for a years...
If it doesn't force portion of people to change their graphic cards in a year of realease... it won't last long in a future...

We are entering "new era" of huge screens and monster GPU-s in 2010. ...so if SH5 "doesn't catch that train" - it will be seriously limited from the start.

I don't say that it should be "hardware hog" or require Dx11 from day one, but certanly should not be aimed to suite older graphic cards... to sacrify visuals.

:o

Sorry Dowly, it is just opposite... releasing SH5 with "limited" graphics - would probably be "start of the end" of SH brand.
From one side, some people would dislike demnding graphics in a first weeks... but most of people would like great visuals and buy just for that reson... and continue buying in years to come.

Kaleun_Endrass
09-28-09, 03:02 AM
most of people would like great visuals and buy just for that reson... and continue buying in years to come.
Absolutely right. I know people that sell their car and buy a new one every year just to have the newest car on the market. Itīs the same with cellphones.
There are even more people in front of their displays thinking the same way about computers and games. If it has outstanding graphics and uses the newest technologies they buy it.
Sometimes I tap in that trap too. I bought Assassins Creed because of that reason and shelved it for like half a year until I watched some youtube clips of it and realized how great that game is. Now Im a little bit addicted. (Helps to forget that we have to wait for SH5)

Blood_splat
09-28-09, 08:01 AM
Please no clouds that make me feel like I'm on Venus or some other planet.:yeah:

Seeadler
09-28-09, 08:30 AM
Even SH2/DC had a better weather engine than SH3/4. There were different sets for cumulus- and cirrus clouds. Through a weather script it was possible to create moving weather fronts or weather fronts which collided with each other and thus lead to completely new weather conditions. Unfortunately, the potential of this weather scripts was not full used by Ultimation, but this was also because the hardware (CPU / graphics card) at that time could not fully handle this.

I do not know which user of this forum here has made that time such a brilliant weather front for the west coast of Scotland. At least you could see a bad weather front and the clouds moved over the mountains on the west coast out to the sea, the weather slowly getting worse and the waves always stronger and then after some hours the storm broke out. For Pacific Aces we experiment also with such weather fronts, but we were also limited on the not full implemented graphic card features in the scripting language.

ReallyDedPoet
09-28-09, 08:43 AM
You gotta remember that this isnt some new hotshot, overlyhyped, reviewerbribing FPS game we are talking about. Doing "Crysis" with SH5 would propably cut the sales with 30-40% due to ppl not being able to run it. And that would be the end of SH series.

This is a good point. I think they need to find a happy medium here, somewhere between mid and high end as it relates to graphics.

Dowly
09-28-09, 09:21 AM
Sorry Dowly, it is just opposite...

Like I said, this is true for popular genres. Submarine simulations genre is like a fart in the wind compared to FPS or RTS games. :yep:

@RDP

True that, mate. :up:

Adriatico
09-28-09, 02:14 PM
I'm not expert for farts in a wind... but what's the big deal about Crysis comparison ?

It's "shallow shooter" very demanding, but almost two years old... so, by the time of SH5 playing (Summer 2010?) it should be easily handled by mid-range GPUs

If SH5 is to be played in 2011, 2012,..etc. why should we be scared of that graphic level?
(sea foam,transparency, reflection... instead of detailed bush)

Dowly, think twice what you ask for... you might actually get it... and bitterly regret in 12 months or so...

Don't ask twice Ubisoft for a cheap graphics.
:dead:

The General
09-28-09, 02:14 PM
Maerean_m has posted a Poll asking about the memory on people's V-cards. I think the majority shows 512 MB. This makes me think that the average Subsim fan likes to keep his system up-to-date. In SH5 I would like the top-end, of the scaleable graphics quality, only attainable by the very latest system. However, the volumetric fog in SH4 was a disaster quite frankly, what with transparent crewmen and a huge cut into FPS. In fact the graphics generally were twitchier than a Mexican jumping-bean with tourettes! With this I'd like to see a rock-solid graphics engine above all else.

onelifecrisis
09-28-09, 02:59 PM
+1
:yep:

Argus00
09-28-09, 05:49 PM
Put a clouds slider, from low to ultra high :up:

stabiz
09-28-09, 07:57 PM
Maerean_m has posted a Poll asking about the memory on people's V-cards. I think the majority shows 512 MB. This makes me think that the average Subsim fan likes to keep his system up-to-date. In SH5 I would like the top-end, of the scaleable graphics quality, only attainable by the very latest system. However, the volumetric fog in SH4 was a disaster quite frankly, what with transparent crewmen and a huge cut into FPS. In fact the graphics generally were twitchier than a Mexican jumping bean with touretts! With this I'd like to see a rock-solid graphics engine above all else.

Same here, I miss the the fluent stuff from SH3. SH4 acts up all the time for me, be it glitches, stutters or weird slow downs. (No, I am not trying to run it on a Commodore 64, my computer handles all the new stuff way better than SH4)

docnobby
09-29-09, 01:15 PM
We are entering "new era" of huge screens and monster GPU-s in 2010. ...

Well, we've been entering a new era every year for about 20 years. Faster computers and bigger screens are nothing new (I started with a 386 and 14" screen). :D

However I'd just say: Give us sliders! :cool:

I never understood those performance discussions, just give the user the option to tweak the visuals the way he likes it. Some people need 50 fps to be happy, I can live with 20 fps so I tweak my option to have the best visuals at the desired framerate.
Get a high end system, pull the sliders to the right. Keep your old system, pull the sliders to the left.
And everyone is happy. :sunny: