PDA

View Full Version : Sun/Moon Rise/Set Times

U2222
09-24-09, 09:05 AM
Is anything available to provide sun/moon rise/set times in game?
If this is still not available does anybody have a good source of this information?
Thanks for your help.
U2222

flakmonkey
09-24-09, 09:28 AM
Try a forum search for realnav mod, im sure it came with some sun/moon rise tables which you could use to calculate your longitude ingame....

Anvart
09-24-09, 10:24 AM
Moon full hardcoded ... can use textures only (in scene.dat)...
Some adjustments of the sun are in scene.dat (EnvSim controller + textures)...

Pisces
09-24-09, 10:35 AM
There is no info about that directly in the game. It depends on where you are exactly. (most important lattitude) But you should be able to measure your lattitude and longitude coordinates on the map (1 degree for every 120km in both directions), and deduce your timezone from it (IIRC SH3 has it's timezones shifted by 7.5 degrees from the real timezones or does something buggy with it... better test it out beforehand). With that and the time on the clock you should then be able to deduce Universal Time Coordinated (UTC). It seems the clock adjusts the timezone automatically (hours only) as you move to keep it it check roughly with local solar time. Definately not realistic, but so it is. Then you should have all the information to input it on some kind of sunrise/sunset calculator website.

Like this:

http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/sunrise/sunrise.html

Oops, I forgot to mention... SH3 switches day/night state when the sun is halveway visible. But real life definitions of sun/moon-rise and -set is when the upper edge of the sun/moon is on the horizon. So at the times when it is barely visible. So you need to take into account some minutes after sunrise and before sunset if you need to be accurate.

U2222
09-24-09, 04:37 PM
Thanks for your input folks
I checked realnav mod but it all seems a bit complicated to do a quick check on sunset/sunrise.
After all my crew should know where we are and Bdu should have provided some accuarete data/tables on board to check.
No big deal, I just carry on as always, a mental check of the clock when it goes dark and day breaks.

Another similar issue.
The watch keeper reports current weather but does not give any weather report of what weather is coming.
So when I'm in a storm following a torpedoed merchant, I have no idea if the weather is forcast to get calm enough to man the deck gun inside the
next day or not

Again thanks for your advice
Regards
U2222

BigBadVuk
09-25-09, 12:28 AM
If you guys remember that SHI had calendar with sun/moon times,and i cant remember about SHII i realy,up to these day,cant understand why ubi decided to remove calendar from captains quarters....
And i realy hope they will bring it back in SHV...

Laufen zum Ziel
09-25-09, 10:21 AM
Check subsim downloads under SHIII printable game aids,

BigBadVuk
09-26-09, 11:38 AM
OK ,but PRINT version is not what i want..WE need built in game calendar,nothing less,nothing moe...This is not rocket science,game engine already has that data so why not then just copy&paste same data to calendar....

U2222
09-26-09, 12:10 PM
Check subsim downloads under SHIII printable game aids,

Thanks for the lead, but I'm missing something.
I see the following subsim downloads - SH3 sub catagories:
gameplay / graphics / skins / ships / mission + maps / multiplayer / sound / mega mods and patches.....but no printable game aids.
Can you please give me a clue.
Thanks
U2222

Pisces
09-26-09, 06:26 PM
...This is not rocket science,game engine already has that data so why not then just copy&paste same data to calendar....Huh? What data exactly? And where is it then? Either way, those rise and set times are dependant on where you are. They are not fixed so I can't see how it can be put it in tables without some mathmatical correction needed.

p.s. the classes in rocket science I took in college did involve orbital mechanics... ;)