PDA

View Full Version : Needed: US S-boat class plans/schematics

Pacific_Ace
09-23-09, 10:14 AM
Hi...I'm looking for (and not finding) a plan view, blueprint, anything showing some detail of the internal layout of a later class S-boat. Any help is very much appreciated!

virtualpender
09-23-09, 10:22 AM
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/s26-ss131.pdf

Pacific_Ace
09-23-09, 10:33 AM
Wow, 8 minutes response time! You are now my Bestest Fwend Evah! Thank you
:salute:

Morpheus
09-23-09, 11:59 AM
... so she does have a conning tower. i wonder why we don't see it in the game?

morph

//Edit: within the game it appears to me that you step directely from the command room up to the bridge

ETR3(SS)
09-23-09, 12:40 PM
Probably because it's pretty empty looking. What's the point of an empty space in the game then?

Bubblehead1980
09-23-09, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure but from what i read in the book Pigboat 39 about the S-39, they had a conning tower but there were no controls or stations in it like fleet boats.Conning tower was just sort of a passage and support for the bridge.In the game , perhaps where the ladder ends at the hatch in the control room, leads into the conning tower, then to the bridge.They still should have included the conning tower in the game though.

If there were controls etc and did not include it, just a huge omission by the devs, among many in SH 4.They included them for fleetboats, why not the S boats.

Many S-boats were given new conning towers in 43 so to reduce silhouette and so AA guns, Radar etc could be installed.Later S-Boats may have had equipment added since they had the new cooning towers they look comparable to fleet boats.Some were given TDC's so perhaps TDC etc was in the tower at somepoint.

Problem is there are no surviving S boats and its not easy to find great material about S boats these days.

Pacific_Ace
09-23-09, 01:43 PM
Bubble, does your book say anything about who operated the sonar and where? I ask because looking at that plan, there is a radio room but I see no sonar gear anywhere.

Nuc
09-23-09, 02:12 PM
S Boat interior

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=844751&postcount=5

Bubblehead1980
09-24-09, 01:34 PM
Ace, I got the impression from the book that the sonar is in the front of the control room like in the game.Been a while since I read the book but that is how I remember it.

If you get a chance, pick up Pigboat 39 by Bobette Gugliola.She was the wife of one of the Officers on S-39.Books details pre war duty in the Philippines, then the patrols after the war started all the way until the 39 ran aground in the Solomons in 42.Great read.