PDA

View Full Version : Sub caught in a explosion?

Von Talon
09-15-09, 01:32 PM
I was attacking to Passenger/Cargo -ship with my deck gun. I didn't want to waste a torpedo to it. After lot of shells, the ship started to sink. I was about 50-100m (quite close). "She is going down" -message appeared. After 5 minutes, the ship started to explode. Suddenly, I get alot of damage reports.
My sub was severly damaged: Batteries destroyed, Diesel engines destroyed, bridge destroyed, deck and flak gun destroyed. Almost every part of my sub was destroyed and critical leak in every compartment. And every watch was dead. First, I thought that I was under attack, and I ordered to dive (dumbest decision EVER). Then I realized that I was caught in the explosion. Well, I noticed that my sub couldn't hold periscope depth, and asked from the navigator: Whats the depth under keel? -46 meters, he answered. As you can guess, I sank to the bottom. I ordered everyone to fix the boat. Luckily, I had many repair fellows becouse my sub gets damaged very easily :yeah:

I managed to pump the water out and fix some critical parts, and then surfaced. Was my sub cought in the explosion of the enemy vessel?
I can't find any other explanation for this.

JU_88
09-15-09, 01:40 PM
Yep, you were way too close and got caught in the blast, stay at about 700m and you should be ok.
besides, you need to be at that distance to score keel shots with the deck gun and torpedos wont detonate until 400m.

sergei
09-15-09, 01:59 PM
Oh hell yeah. You were lucky to get away with it.:)
I'd torpedoed a large freighter that left it dead in the water. What the hell I thought. The sea is calm and it's early war so I figure I'll surface and finish her off with the deck gun.
Like you I got nice and close so I could look at the pretty explosions.:damn:
The ship goes up like the Fourth of July.
I get damage reports from EVERYWHERE. There's flooding EVERYWHERE. And most of my crew seem to be dead. 5 minutes later the broken remains of my sub were on the bottom.
After that my minimum safe distance for deck gun action is 1000m.

Brag
09-15-09, 03:20 PM
Yup!

Klose kabooms kause killer krash :D

Red Heat
09-15-09, 03:59 PM
All aways remember... you all always can take an enemy with you!

Brag
09-15-09, 04:25 PM
In real life, can't remember which boat was sunk by a truck lashed on deck of a ship. An explosion sent the truck flying and it landed on top of the U-boat :dead:

Red Heat
09-15-09, 04:30 PM
I remember that story too, Brag...it was the only uboot sunk by those circunstances, and i cant remember witch uboot...may be in the u-boat net! :yep:

Patkins1983
09-15-09, 04:33 PM
I am currently trying to get targets with the deck gun at around 10km. Its going well and that should be a nice safe distance if the ship has high explosives on board.

Mittelwaechter
09-15-09, 05:40 PM
SM U 28 - WWI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-28_(Germany)

bojan811
09-15-09, 06:20 PM
Long ago, I stumbled on convoj and after kiling all DD, i started shooting merchant ships with deck gun. I was firing at one ship at 200 m distance and when he explode I finish my career as a submarine was completely destroyed by explosions. So you had luck with your carrer. But i must admit that my boat was a little bigger than yours, some 10,000 T biger.:D

cawimmer430
09-15-09, 08:24 PM
I had a similar experience once. I learned my lesson. Enjoy the fireworks from a safe distance. :yeah:

By the way, don't you guys just hate it when THIS happens?

I was deep inside enemy territory near Liverpool (I love hunting in that region!) finishing off a small merchant with my deck gun.

Suddenly two Hurricanes pop out of nowhere and one of them scores a direct hit on my conning tower. One watch officer dead, deck gun crew ok. I immediately went to flank speed and dove to 25 m, then assessed the damage. Conning tower and flak gun completely destroyed. Deck gun ok. Command room lightly damaged. Both my attack and observation periscope were totally destroyed. I was blind on the surface.

Here's my problem. I was deep within English territory and couldn't even place lookouts on the conning tower. My only choice was to travel submerged underwater by day, and at full speed at night, which is still risky given my location and proximity to patrolling enemy warships. Well, this tactic worked for me and I've never felt so happy to return home to Brest for repairs. Amazingly I didn't encounter any enemy warships or merchants on the way out via hydrophone when traveling submerged.

U-46 Commander
09-16-09, 06:27 AM
Same here. Got to close to a boat (Filled with ammo and Explosives as I later found out) It blew up, and brought my hull integrity down to about 60%. I headed back to my base, and was put out of the war for about two months!

Lt.Fillipidis
09-19-09, 06:12 AM
In addition to all that said.
Never pass near a sinking ship even submerged.
Many ships explode when sinking rather when the torp hits so if your nearby, submerged, *something* might hit you.

Found out the not-so-hard way since a tiny piece landed on me causing some damage.

U2222
09-19-09, 07:45 AM
Not necessarily the result of u-boat action but an article on ammunition ship explosions
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/ae.htm

kdv
09-19-09, 09:51 PM
I've never noticed, but if you return from a mission with severe damage, does it take longer between missions to simulate repair times?

Been there with the ammo ships, get a little cocky, too close - wreck the uboat in the explosions. Now no closer than 500m when shooting.

Task Force
09-19-09, 11:59 PM
In real life, can't remember which boat was sunk by a truck lashed on deck of a ship. An explosion sent the truck flying and it landed on top of the U-boat :dead:

lol, yep I remember that... I can imagine when they were talking about it...

so how did they die...

well sir your never gonna believe this.

:rotfl2:

BigBadVuk
09-20-09, 05:37 AM
Is it then possible to sink other shps by destroying highly explosive targets such as pyro class ammunition ship or by blowing up DD near other cargo in convoy etc..?
I`m asking because i never saw anything similar to happen in game ,and i attacked countless ships in many convoys.

U2222
09-20-09, 06:08 AM
I remember a post some years ago by somebody who witnessed (in game)a ship explode and take others with it, causing major damage to his u-boat, so I guess the answer is probably yes

Commander Gizmo
09-20-09, 08:22 AM
Yes, it is in fact possible. It happened in my last patrol. A ship exploaded from oned end to the other after a torpedo hit as another ship was passing very close. The second ship also exploaded from end to end and sank. I didn't get the second as a kill on my record though.

It may help to have enhanced damage effects enabled. The ships in most convoys travel with at least 700 meters between ships unless one gets disabled. I just happeneed to have the torpedo hit while the other ship was unusually close and both were explosive.

Fluffysheap
09-25-09, 02:28 AM
Nuttiest thing that's happened to me is when, using GWX3 + enhanced damage effects, I sank a schooner with the deck gun. I had to get pretty close to hit it just because it was so small. It started to sink, just as it went below the water line, it blew up and scattered debris all over. I wasn't damaged but a chunk of junk landed about six inches to the left of the boat.

Made me wonder two things:
1) If the flying debris from an explosion is just for show or if it will cause damage if it hits you, and
2) What the heck causes a schooner to explode?

U2222
09-25-09, 06:26 AM
Maybe the explosive cargo?

sergei
09-25-09, 09:02 AM
They were probably running a load of cases of whisky they 'found'.
Explosive stuff I believe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_Galore!_%28film%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_Galore%21_%28film%29)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3463/31070329.jpg
:)