PDA

View Full Version : New here, want to learn Sub-Sims now that I'm retired.

jb0007
09-14-09, 05:28 PM
Afternoon all,
I'm Chuck-JB0007, and I recently retired here in the USA, and now with some time on my hands. I want to learn Sub-Sims. I've been a avid gamer for many years. Play Rfactor(VHR) (Sim Racing) Weekly in a NascarRacing group, and also have played alot of Links 2003 golf over the years, plus dabbled in some FPS games like BF2 and COD series, but never really found the time to devote to SUB-SIM since they seem much more complex. But now I would like to try. I bought both SH3 and SH4 at a computer building site I frequent as they both looked very good. Is there a group out there for NEWBIES to the SH series to help one catch up? I've played alot of multi-player games online over the years using Team-Speak and Ventrilo chat. Are these used much in SH?
Sorry for all the questions but figure I'd just give alittle background.
Thanks,
Chuck-JB0007
Oregon,USA

Falkirion
09-14-09, 06:33 PM
Welcome aboard. Have a look around in the Silent Hunter 3 and 4 forums. There's some good newbie guides in them.

mookiemookie
09-14-09, 06:39 PM
Welcome aboard! Congrats on reaching retirement! Come on over to the SH3 or SH4 forums. We're very newbie-friendly and can answer most any question you may have.

Come see us....we'll get you sinkin' ships in no time!

donut
09-14-09, 06:55 PM
Remembering game files where to find, what to mod is my downfall. IIRC:salute: AVG posted this;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1169553&postcount=1

jb0007
09-14-09, 10:45 PM
Tnx for the warm welcome guyz.

So i'm trying to figure out the timeline here on the SH series.

I have bought them all now, 1 and 2 were pre windows xp, then 3 is win xp and 4 goes with vista?

I have xp, so guesss i'll start witn SH3.

Also, SH3 is the Atlantic campaign of ww2 and SH is the pacific campaign???

Lastly for now, is there a Teamspeak channel I can get plugged into so I can ask some more newbie questions? I'm looking forward to spending part of my retirement learning this new SH sim series. I also bought Dangerous Waters off of Amazon to get alittle more background on SUB-SIMS.

Thanks,
Chuck-JB0007:arrgh!:

donut
09-14-09, 11:39 PM
SH4 will play on XP, depending on your rig.

JU_88
09-15-09, 03:21 AM
Also, SH3 is the Atlantic campaign of ww2 and SH is the pacific campaign???

Chuck-JB0007:arrgh!:

Correct,
SH3 is Alantic in the German Uboats
SH4 is int he Pacifc with US fleet boats
SH5 (released next year) will be Atlantic & U-boats once again.

kiwi_2005
09-15-09, 08:52 AM
Welcome. Most will tell you to go download one of the super mods for SH3 or 4 but i would wait a bit and play the game straight out of the box first just so you get the hang of it then once your confident in taking on the enemy then start on the mods that are available, information on the mods can be found here in the SH3 / SH4 section.

Good hunting.

Dowly
09-15-09, 08:54 AM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

jb0007
09-15-09, 01:24 PM
Thats gr8 news, to hear SH4 will run on XP. Guess I've changed my mind already before I start and go straight to SH4, unless others think SH3 would be a better start for a Rookie Seaman.

Reasoning here. I just returned from Pearl Harbor Submarine Museum a few months ago while in Hawaii, and I was totally taken back by it. Very nice memorial for the brave seaman from the past. If anyone hasnt seen it I highly recommend it. Its right next to the Main Pearl Harbor Memorial Launch.

I was amazed at all that was there. I had never been to pearl harbor before in hawaii, even though it was my 2nd trip there.

So as no one has mentioned that there is a Teamspeak Channel for SUB-SIMS woulkd anyone object if I volenteered mine????

I have a Nascar Racing/ Links Golf Teamspeak that handles up to 100, and used sparringly except on race nights on Tuesdays. So if anyone is looking for a Teamsepak to hang out on and chat about Nascar/ Golf /Gaming or SUB-SIMS, I'd likje to donate it. The IP is: 71.236.138.223 no Pw for now. I will make a SUB-SIMS Lobby.

If I'm out of order volenteering my TS, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chuck-JB0007
:arrgh!:

JU_88
09-15-09, 01:43 PM
If I'm out of order volenteering my TS, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chuck-JB0007
:arrgh!:

Out of order? ...absolutley not! :up:

donut
09-15-09, 01:46 PM
My rig mid range funictional, for SH4. AMD 64 processer 3000+ ,2 gigs ram, Nvdia 7600GT

AJ!
09-15-09, 02:05 PM
You will be completely fine running SH3 with a computer similar to donut. To tell the truth its been awhile since i played SH4 but i am sure that needs alot more then SH3 to run well :yep:

jb0007
09-15-09, 02:22 PM
Ok, thanks JU88, I didnt see anything about a general SIMS Teamspeak anywhere so thought I'd volenteer mine, since except on Tuesdays Race night when we race RFactor VHR Stockcars, it doesnt get used much.

SUB-SIMS seems like a gr8 place to hang out in these forums, to chat. Lots of info here for sure. Ifeel like a Duck out of water though with so much to learn. Being I Race Sims, and play Golf Sims, and alittle FPS games (but these older eyes have trouble keeping up with kids),thats why I'd like to find a older group of gamers in the 40+ range to chat and hang with for gaming/siming.

So any other simmers/gamers here on the west coast of the USA???
Thanks,
Chuck-JB0007 :arrgh!:
My Open Teamspeak: 71.236.138.223

Shearwater
09-15-09, 09:00 PM
Welcome aboard :salute:

(though I'm anything but a long term member myself)

Just to confuse you a bit further JB ;):
There's an expansion pack for SH4 called "U-Boat Missions". I don't know if it's still sold separately, but it's included in the SH4 Gold edition - in case you want to play U-Boats in SH4.

As for the learning part: It's not that complicated actually, and of course learning is half of the fun when it comes to playing sims. Just take it one step at a time.
I guess you'll get used pretty quickly to SH3/SH4 (not much difference here). Dangerous Waters offers you a wholly different experience. - Not really comparable to the other two sims, but immensely entertaining once you get the hang of it.

If you want to dive deeper into DW (pun intended), there's two sites I can recommend:

- Subguru's site (www.subguru.com (http://www.subguru.com)). Be sure to check out the Landlubbers Survival guide (in the download section)

- The Commanders Academy and Dive Center: http://www.commanders-academy.com/

I hope that wasn't too much information :) In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time :arrgh!:

Castout
09-18-09, 02:56 AM
If you're interested in modern submarines try Dangerous waters there's a new supermod called DWX(or sometimes called reinforce alert i.e, RA) that's worthy to try.