PDA

View Full Version : Hats-off!

CaptainJack
09-12-09, 03:28 PM
Greetings all - thought I would say hi after not posting for close to 5 years (back in the days of SHII - Pacific Aces). On again, off again fan of the series since original SH, but never owned III and just recently purchased a discounted SH 4 WoP.

My hats-off to this most fantastic site and forum :salute:. It appears there was much consternation over what was originally a rushed, incomplete release. But thanks to the devs - the basic engine was there for a great sim, and thanks to all of you the support for continued patching and modding has produced an excellent product. Seems I bought at the right time. The abundance of game tips and mods has inspired me to finally sink my teeth in and get serious about manual targeting - a most rewarding experience which I likely would have never attempted save for the excellent tutorials here (Werner Sobe; Rockin Robbins, Nicholas' Easy AOB being a few excellent examples). There is nothing like sinking a ship by the seat of your own pants!

I am currently playing with the RFB Mod 1.52; and the Easy AOB, using both the O'Kane, WernerSobe techniques as situation requires. On third patrol of a 1943 career in a Gato class (Scamp) and the tonnage is starting to pile up.

So thanks again!! PS - the Advanced Search function on this forum is also most excellent, allowing me to find answers to practically every question I have! Good hunting to all!

DigitalAura
09-12-09, 05:15 PM
hey, welcome back! My only experience was a few years ago on SH2 as well...and as you say, auto target was all I used too. You're exactly right, there's simply no addiction to it until you sink your first boat with manual targeting (and sonar only!). :salute:

CaptainJack
09-12-09, 11:54 PM
hey, welcome back! My only experience was a few years ago on SH2 as well...and as you say, auto target was all I used too. You're exactly right, there's simply no addiction to it until you sink your first boat with manual targeting (and sonar only!). :salute:

Thanks! Have not tried the sonar only method... will have to read up on that!