PDA

View Full Version : Lets actively promote the game....heres why.

Mush Martin
09-11-09, 04:12 PM
As a community we mostly realize that we form a smaller niche market
in gaming, every time a new game or version of a sub sim comes out,we
all in the back of our minds tend to fear that this is the last real one they
will make.

The solution is to expand the market we represent.

I propose that without any organization necessary everybody
who cares enough should make a point to try to introduce a
new player to the ever amazing world of sub sims.

just one guy that you convince its worth buying and trying can
make a significant difference and facilitate our continued viability
as a market, So its as simple as promoting your hobby to your friends.
The bonus is that for the first time ever their may be another subsimmer
within fifty miles of you now.

Oh and maybe this time when it comes out we could emphasize whats
good about the game with a few expletives, and just report whats wrong
with it without the expletives and drama. You have gotta figure that being
a sub sim dev must feel like a damned thankless job after release day.

M

karamazovnew
09-11-09, 04:15 PM
I've been trying to draw my friends into this game for a looong time... But they're all wow freaks so, no luck yet :wah:. Maybe with SH5, who knows. But at least, I'll change my forum/messenger avatars/statuses to indicate the one game that I would play on a deserted island for years :salute:

Carotio
09-11-09, 04:19 PM
I have tried to convince friends and other people, with whom I have discussed computer games that the "undersea world" is a nice place to be (sometimes). But it just hasn't seized them as much as for me...

But then again, maybe with SH5, when it's more than a sim and also and interactive game that it may appeal to them... Can always try again and again... :)

Webster
09-11-09, 04:35 PM
when i told my friends about sh4 they didnt "get it" untill they actually played it.

i had a group of guys who didnt want any part of it because its too slow and boring but after one of our friday night card games (booray) and 2 cases of beer, i challenged each one of them to who could do the best in a single mission. as i coached and talked them through the controls we ended up playing till dawn and 4 out of the 5 guys went and bought sh4 that week.

longam
09-11-09, 05:56 PM
lol webster, thats cool. They just dont want to spend the time and think its an arcade game.

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:21 PM
how to convince abunch of teenagers that submarines... are... cool...:hmmm:

pozine
09-11-09, 09:27 PM
Pay them...:hmmm:

Convince teenagers about sub are cool is not impossible but its really hard.

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:30 PM
Pay them...:hmmm:

Convince teenagers about sub are cool is not impossible but its really hard.

lol... id have to Invent a brain control system... wait...:cool: Thats a great idea... now to only get the leader of all the governments in the world to try them... I could...:D

THE_MASK
09-11-09, 09:37 PM
If SH5 is an awsome game with no major bugs out of the box then sales will reflect that :yep: . Maybe we need a media stunt like a guinness world record for the longest continuous time a pc game has been played straight without a break . .

pozine
09-11-09, 09:40 PM
+1 :D Brain control

Now we need talented modders to invent that... :D

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:41 PM
If SH5 is an awsome game with no major bugs out of the box then sales will reflect that :yep: . Maybe we need a media stunt like a guinness world record for the longest continuous time a pc game has been played straight without a break . .

uah oah... I think that could be hard to beat... there are nuts who have played the same game continuous for days... (and remember that this is on windows...BSODs are to be expected.)

pozine
09-11-09, 09:43 PM

Oh yeah!, lets play SH5 without time compression

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:44 PM
+1 :D Brain control

Now we need talented modders to invent that... :D

I want brain control... lol... then I could say...

all your brains are belong to us...:DL

*edit, why oah why did I insist on putting brains twice...*

pozine
09-11-09, 09:47 PM
I want brain control... lol... then I could say...

all your brains brains are belong to us...:DL

All your brains are belong to us? mmh i heard something similar somewhere i remember only the word "brains" was different :hmmm:

pozine
09-11-09, 09:53 PM
Hey, TF are you really in my mind?

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:54 PM
naa... eventualy I will tho... (once everyone gets there... mind con... err I mean... new... uahhh... chip...)

pozine
09-11-09, 09:57 PM
lol

i want my free cookie :stare:

Edit: Are we in general topics or SH5 topics? not sure, i'm lost...

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!

Task Force
09-11-09, 09:59 PM
cookies are overrated... what you really want is air... thats free... (kind of...)

*edit... you caused me to make anouther edit. :p*
of course this is the sh5 topics... but they dont know that... its a secret...

pozine
09-11-09, 10:03 PM
Ok!!, no cookie, no talking

see ya

looks like i will not reach 100 post today

Task Force
09-11-09, 10:05 PM
all you need is... wait a second... your just at 95 and joined at the same timeframe as I did... and im at...

Oah s*** I think im missing something important...

a simple game of hangman shall sove this...

1 word 4 letters... lol
___ a o u b t
|\o
| |
| /\
---
L I F
_ _ _ _

Arclight
09-12-09, 02:33 AM
Now that you have all seen the thinking of the average SH player in the posts above, you'll understand how rare these people are. :D

Probably for the best too. :rotfl:

Seriously though; convince people to play? My brother only plays COD4, friend of his is WoW crazy, my nephew and all his friends are console freaks, my best friend only plays Zelda games over and over, other friend is uber PC-geek but only really plays Arma, the list goes on. I don't even really know any "normal" gamers, let alone potential SH players. :shifty:

Mush Martin
09-12-09, 04:16 AM
:rotfl:

As The Choice is you guys making new friends.... oh right ... well nevermind the thread then.

Schultz
09-12-09, 04:42 AM
No one told me about sh3 or sh4 to play , I started to play because of curiosity , how the games were, to make my opinion, and it seems I liked them.
Don't worry about the teenagers, the will play sh5 , they play because of the curiosity , this is the psihology at their age

Brag
09-12-09, 07:39 AM
Read the article I wrote in

http://www.useless-knowledge.com (http://www.useless-knowledge.com/)

Arclight
09-12-09, 09:03 AM
You paint a colorfull picture. :yep:

Makes me want to fire up SH3 instead of 4 for a change. :salute:

pozine
09-12-09, 09:46 AM
all you need is... wait a second... your just at 95 and joined at the same timeframe as I did... and im at...

Oah s*** I think im missing something important...

a simple game of hangman shall sove this...

1 word 4 letters... lol
___ a o u b t
|\o
| |
| /\
---
L I F
_ _ _ _

Emm... I say "D"!!!
uhh wait .. no ! "T"
ah ok your dead..."L"I"F"E"

Task Force
09-12-09, 09:54 AM
Emm... I say "D"!!!
uhh wait .. no ! "T"
ah ok your dead..."L"I"F"E"

lol...

@brag, good article...:up:

Kloef
09-14-09, 10:52 AM
One idea is to create an official subsim.com SH5 sig,with embedded links to this forum and the official SH5 homepage and use it on other forums,should be pretty effective in getting some new players.

Dont know about copyrights and stuff but something should be worked out by Ubisoft and donated to subsim.com members so we can actively promote the game,for our mutual benefit.

AVGWarhawk
09-14-09, 11:03 AM
Advertise advertise advertise.....SH4 I witnessed one advertisment in Game Informer. That was it. Got to get it out there however blasting a Uboat game during Super Bowl just may not be the best thing.:o

Randomizer
09-14-09, 12:35 PM
I'll drop my $0.02 on the bar and say that subsims will always be a relatively niche market because they demand patiance to play them well at high levels of realism. Spending six-hours stalking a convoy to torpedo one ship that you don't even see sink (this in December '44 in a U-Boat) has limited appeal even in the hardcore subsim community but the ability to do exactly this sort of thing seperates sub sims from sub games.

Widening the audience is a great idea but doing so will tend to turn sims into arcade sound-and-light extravaganza. Mainstream = lowest common denominator and the demographics that enjoy games like this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/hot_new_video_game_consists

or this

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/warcraft_sequel_lets_gamers_play

are where the money is. Next step is an arcade style console submarine game with no simulation value but lots of GTA type action and that would be the death of franchises like the Silent Hunter series.

I suspect that SH5 will end up less of a simulation than either of its predecessors just to ensure a wider initial audiance. That SH5 cook would get real old real fast on a three month patrol to the Cape but might be tolerable on a single mission lasting perhaps an hour while racking up 150,000 GRT in the process. Hope I'm wrong though.

And yes I know those Onion vids are fake but if real either one would probably outsell SH3 or SH4.

Good Hunting

Sledgehammer427
09-14-09, 01:30 PM
I've introduced a couple friends to the series, they enjoy the game very much (they, like me, are teenagers, but would like to savor a "kill" longer than it takes for someone to kill you back)
out here in my neck of the woods, you find lots of things that win over HALO

Task Force
09-14-09, 01:33 PM
I've introduced a couple friends to the series, they enjoy the game very much (they, like me, are teenagers, but would like to savor a "kill" longer than it takes for someone to kill you back)
out here in my neck of the woods, you find lots of things that win over HALO

blaaa... I dont know how people could like that stupid game... :hmmm:

martes86
09-14-09, 04:32 PM
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to convert many people... driking alcohol on fridays is funnier. :hmmm:

Kaleun_Endrass
09-15-09, 01:46 AM
Widening the audience is a great idea but doing so will tend to turn sims into arcade sound-and-light extravaganza.
Did you noticed what happend to the flight sims? As you said, the sim part transforms to arcade action more and more. Take a look at the latest game release of that kind - H.A.W.X. - which was produced by the devs of SH5. I really hope that game won´t have influence on the development of SH5´s gameplay and sim aspects.

karamazovnew
09-15-09, 02:13 AM
I really hope that game won´t have influence on the development of SH5´s gameplay and sim aspects.

It wasn't supposed to be a sim. The gameplay was ok, but the controls were horrendous. Thank god we don't need a joystick to play SH :haha:

Nexus7
09-15-09, 06:19 AM
As a community we mostly realize that we form a smaller niche market
in gaming, every time a new game or version of a sub sim comes out,we
all in the back of our minds tend to fear that this is the last real one they
will make.

The solution is to expand the market we represent.

I propose that without any organization necessary everybody
who cares enough should make a point to try to introduce a
new player to the ever amazing world of sub sims.

just one guy that you convince its worth buying and trying can
make a significant difference and facilitate our continued viability
as a market, So its as simple as promoting your hobby to your friends.
The bonus is that for the first time ever their may be another subsimmer
within fifty miles of you now.

Oh and maybe this time when it comes out we could emphasize whats
good about the game with a few expletives, and just report whats wrong
with it without the expletives and drama. You have gotta figure that being
a sub sim dev must feel like a damned thankless job after release day.

M

OK, since the idea to drive flight-simmers over here to enlarge the community won't work, maybe there is some other way...

I like to play Battlefield 2 online (modern era).
In BF 2 you can choose:
- be infantry (about 8 specializations to choose from)
- drive armor (different types)
- drive APG (different types)
- drive mobile air defence
- drive transport helicpoter
- drive assault helicopter
- drive fighter
- drive land transports
- man land-based installations like air defence or anti tank
- drive transport boats

There are up to 64 players in the same game, in two rival factions.

BF2 has a ranking system and awards/medals.
Performing well, allows to unlock new weapons to use.

This games in based on online-play.

Now trying to make a parallelism to the naval battlefield. (after BF, NF ? :D)

In NF you have the ability to:
- man an attack submarine
- man ASW helicopter (uhm that sounds vaguely familiar :-?)
- man ASW aircraft (uhm this starts to sound quite familiar :o)
- man a boomer
- man Fighter
- man a Destroyer (:o wait now I remember! the game is called "Dangerous Waters" :haha:)

My mission is to convince30% of the SH players to try Dangerous Waters :D :-j

Kaleun_Endrass
09-15-09, 07:11 AM
My mission is to convince30% of the SH players to try Dangerous Waters
Good luck on that...

Pwnerator
09-15-09, 10:42 AM
Im definitely going to promote the game among my friends, but i seriously hope i dont regret it... in other words, it better not be buggy.

Rockin Robbins
09-15-09, 12:21 PM
I promote games which have proven they are worth staking my credibility on. SH5 doesn't qualify yet.

Mush Martin
09-15-09, 02:55 PM
I promote games which have proven they are worth staking my credibility on. SH5 doesn't qualify yet.

Well I do suppose I understand that much at least.

M

schmutt
09-15-09, 03:32 PM
It's difficult to get people onto a sub sim game because it is actually a boring theme in comparison to shooters or flight sim shooters, where you want to be seen and dog fight and so on. Subs are the oposite. Undetectable. Silient. Unseen. So the sub sim game must show off more, give the feeling of fear when under fire by destroyers. And it should work properly. If it doesn't, why should I intoduce it to my friends and end up as the untrustable silly one?

I'll wait and see. If SH5 is interesting, stable and so on, then it will do it's way by itself. And I hope it does. To find that out, I'll buy it anyway.