PDA

View Full Version : Modders Requests to Make Modding SH5 Easier

Hitman
09-11-09, 08:43 AM
This thread is not about generic things we want in SH5, but about how the devs could pave the way for easier modding.

I will try to keep a continuous update on the suggestions made here, and the replies from the Devs if there are any!

1.- (Hitman) Break the menu.ini into several files, one for each station covered, like the campaign was broken into different layers in SH4. This easy thing would alone help inmensely editing it.

Maerean_m: Already done!

2.- (Hitman) Do not include hardcoded graphics like the reticules for the scopes/UZO. Make them all external graphics that can be edited at convenience.

Maerean_m: Already done!

3.- (Irish1958): injuries, illnesses and disabilities. In SH3 the medic was introduced, but ineffective. I don't have access to German medical studies re the U-boats, but there is an extensive body of work concerning the American boats. On each patrol there were illnesses, injuries and even deaths from accidents and enemy action, which restricted the effectiveness of the boat.

4.- (Mush Martin): A way to make D/P Guns work on player Subs/ships.

5.- (Mush Martin): air launched torpedo profiles for the AI.

6.- (Mush Martin): ability to man ASW Sloops. frigates, DE's or corvettes.
when doing convoy command mode

7.- (Racerboy): Harbors - harbors are made by creating 'clones' from the items in the 'harbor kit'. Can these be real objects instead of clones? Being clones poses some limitations on what you can do with them. And because the harbor objects inherited from the base harbor object who inherited from 0x0 this caused even more problems when you tried to do some fancy tricks with the harbor objects. Basically looking for a better system of making harbors and the objects in them.

8.- (Racerboy): The lighthouse's rotating 'light' needs to be fixed so that it doesn't shine through it's own lighthouse (SH3 not sure about SH4)

9.- (Racerboy): When an object is created that depends on some player guidance (TDC for example for the torpedo), instead of it always spawning north when it doesn't have the information it needs, let it spawn in the direction the controlling object is facing. For instance: I create a torpedo rack on a ship (which is really a gun with the shell's explosion effect spawning a torpedo or the gun's firing effect spawning a torpedo) and when the torpedo rack locks onto a target and it 'fires' the torpedo will spawn in the direction the weapon is facing instead of north (000). This is what has been holding back AI torps from using real torpedoes when I have tried.

10.- (Racerboy): Let the ship and sub objects be able to be spawned in code. This will help with making lifeboats, fast boats, etc. If I make a ship that is actually a lifeboat I want to be able to spawn it in code. For instance: when a certain object on the ship is destroyed I want to be able to spawn a lifeboat in it's replacement (through a controller).

11.- (Racerboy): Ability to add new dials, buttons, etc. and to be able to map those items to objects so that they can be controllable.

7.- (Racerboy):Ability to turn on/off commands. For instance: you have to order your sub to dive by either pressing the key on your keyboard or pressing the dive button. Make this able to be done in code - give me a controller or something that I can use to make these events happen without user input. This will make MANY things happen that I/others have been wanting to do.

12.- (Racerboy):
Let each crewmember be able to be customizable. If I want one to have a jacket and another not I should be able to do this (easily). Don't tie their jacket to the base 3D model of the crewmember or to it's animations. The jacket should be a seperate object that is able to be 'worn' by the crewmember. Granted this poses some addition animations just for the jacket (or other objects). Let this apply to anything that can be added to a crewmember's person.

13.- (sober): ability to customise the crew faces and modders

14.- (sober): ability to add crew and maybe new animations will greatly add to the games ambiance .

15.- (sober): ability to make our own subs/ships/boats like in the way people make trains for the auran trains simulator games

16.- (Hitman) have as many external plain text configuration archives as possible, to tweak sensitivity of sensors, weather patterns, etc.

17.- (TwinStackPete379) spread the uv maps out on the textures so we can have more flexibility skinning the subs

18.- (haegemon) The capability to use every ocean in an spheric world.

19.- (haegemon) -All objects (vehicles and characters) with as parameters as ships. Sea objects with parameter to fly, float and dive. Surface objects with parameter to ground and fly. Include a parameter to turn lights on/off for all objects which can glow in the night.

20.- (haegemon) The capability to array multiple weapons in one target system, manually controled. To fire with all weapons arrayed over the same target. Also a parameter to simulate the backfire effect on a ship. A must for surface vessels modding as Battleships and cruisers. Also a must for anti-aircraft and gun batteries targetting.

21.- (haegemon) Very important more triggers and events (triggers: based on location of an object, on damage, on the high, ammo load, etc. Events: esplode, damage, move, target, radiomesage, etc)

22.- (haegemon) More freedom to give live to land. Vulnerability for ground objects (if its characteristics are like in ships there's no problem to moddify them).

23.- (haegemon) Finally i would ask for FX boxes. Invisible as object but usable via events and triggers aplied to ambient on the game (smoke, fire, ambiental sound, ambiental glow and flash light). That should be a must to mod land targets, surface warfare.

24.- (haegemon) manually, multiple weapon-objects against the target player picks with the cursor.

25.- (haegemon) AI, objects adquire targets from another object sensors.

26.- (haegemon) Something to edit narrow channels and rivers.

27.- (karamazovnew) Collision Boxes for cameras as we might add objects to the interior.

28.- (karamazovnew) Ability to overlap cameras (I miss the Uzo view in SH2).

29.- (karamazovnew) Full control over the sound volume and effects (at least the ability to make them act as "dials" with an exponential factor linked to speed or whatever).

30.- (karamazovnew) Rotation Parenting between dials, or, better, allow us to make new dials and scripts for them (such as a dial for Course-2xAOB+Range, or whatever).

31.- (karamazovnew) no more hardcoded limitation for which cameras/dials/commands work in certain pages (might be fixed already).

32.- (karamazovnew) a show/hide controller, dragable/fixed controllers for interface objects (again, might be fixed already).

33.- (karamazovnew) Settable mouse sensitivity on all cameras for all axes (in case we mess with zoom levels, the sensitivity is either too high or too low).

34.-(karamazovnew) cameras should have controllers with weights (proportions) and customisable pivots (world, certain object etc.). These weights should be dynamic, compatible with triggers.

35.- (karamazovnew) Allow setting the rotation axis for 3d objects. I'm tired of exporting objects into Gmax to change their pivot.

36.- (karamazovnew) Dials (or more precisely, knobs and needles) should accept "animations" files such as arrays of images.

37.- (karamazovnew) Conditions for item loading (if sub is Type2, load something, if clock between 16:00, 05:00, unload something)

38.- (Anvart) have possibility easy to create new (full-function) Crew slots (additional members of crew) with existing StateMachine Classes and with new StateMachine Classes...

39.- (Anvart) have the universal (none conflicted) controller for movement and rotation of any object ...

40.- (Anvart) have rotation of sensors object (Revolving in SensorData controller) only when sensor is active ...

41.- (Anvart) have possibility to do any 3D-objects visible/invisible depending on the submarine states (surfaced/submerged and others) ... in SH4 we have IsVisible = 0/1 for crew death in StateMachine system ...

42.- (Anvart) improve controllers WaterReflection and VisibleUnderWater (artefacts) ...

43.- (Anvart) To increase UBoat states (surfaced/submerged) and damage states in StateMachine system ...

44.- (skwasjer) true scriptable behaviors, like what they seem to have done for the 2D UI

45.- (kapitan zur see) have a generic 3D invisible trigger_event box and the ability to tie it to any event/animation/sounds/FX we'd like to design. For example to design additional waves splash + additional splash sounds. etc.

46.- (kapitan zur see) Less restrictions in terms of tweaking the 3d engine especially underwater.

47.- (kapitan zur see) ability to integrate "easily" some more shaders. Depth of field effect also.

48.- (kapitan zur see) no more "shared" textured on 3d model. No UV count restriction on 3D model. And no texture size restriction.

Reece
09-11-09, 08:57 AM
Now that we know that SH5 will have a common basis with SH4Where did you hear that awful news?:x

karamazovnew
09-11-09, 09:04 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1169166&postcount=10

menu_1024_768.ini file.... you will not be missed.:salute:

AVGWarhawk
09-11-09, 09:09 AM
Where did you hear that awful news?:x

This post is not very productive now it is? :06:

Agree with Hitman....

Do not include hardcoded graphics like the reticules for the scopes/UZO. Make them all external graphics that can be edited at convenience.

Captain von Keldunk
09-11-09, 09:33 AM
Reece I have been there, when I first tried SH4 I also returned to SH3, but like you I was also bitten by SH4 curse. It will not let go. :cry:
While playing SH3, I noticed, this or that thing that was better in SH4, so I had to return.:woot:Hopefully SH5 will be a cure for me.:DL

Frederf
09-11-09, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I have heard SH5 is a complete rewrite, nothing carried over from SH3/4.

AVGWarhawk
09-11-09, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I have heard SH5 is a complete rewrite, nothing carried over from SH3/4.

I was advised that there is a lot of SH4 structure in SH5. This was from the developers. :03:

Webster
09-11-09, 11:19 AM
actually, as i understood it, they said it would share a "simular" file structure so modders would be familiar with the modding methods but that the game itself is a completely all new thing with the best 2009 can offer with nothing taken from sh3 or sh4

Seeadler
09-11-09, 11:35 AM
Quote from the dev corner of the Ubisoft SHIII Website:

In addition, as a welcome bonus, we intend to make the max source file including the tile kit available for the community. You will be able to improve it, expand it and update it (poly count, landmark buildings, new port locations, etc.). Practically, the kit will never fall into obsolescence as long as there will be a Silent Hunter III community.

This time not only have the intention to do such things, do it!:yep:

Webster
09-11-09, 11:42 AM
:woot::woot::woot:

karamazovnew
09-11-09, 12:33 PM
This just keeps getting better and better. How long till we cruise around in the HMS Victory shooting cannons at pirates? :haha:

maerean_m
09-11-09, 01:07 PM
1.- Break the menu.ini into several files, one for each station covered, like the campaign was broken into different layers in SH4. This easy thing would alone help inmensely editing it.

2.- Do not include hardcoded graphics like the reticules for the scopes/UZO. Make them all external graphics that can be edited at convenience.

1. Already did that. It was getting too big and very difficult for many people to work on the menus at the same time.
2. They are not hard-coded and never were. The reticulum is a menu item like any other and the texture is a DDS file.

karamazovnew
09-11-09, 01:23 PM
2. They are not hard-coded and never were. The reticulum is a menu item like any other and the texture is a DDS file.

Both in SH3 and 4, the linear bearing dial was hardcoded. We could move it and edit it's image file but we could never link any other dial to it. The text (numbers) were separate items easy to mod. But the lines were scaled by hardcode to the Angular Distance and Viewport camera settings and we couldn't move them into/out of view if we messed with the zoom levels. So we had to embed them into tga files which did not change color at night/day. Maybe we could but we did not have any documentation/tutorials and I doubt that you devs knew that Skwas will make his S3D editor :haha:.

Hitman
09-11-09, 02:06 PM
1. Already did that. It was getting too big and very difficult for many people to work on the menus at the same time.

:yeah: Now how about that for a dedicated and passionate Dev Team? They are even able to read our minds before we ask :up:

Hummmm in SH3 I have done about anything I could think of and yet it was impossible for me to find the image where the reticle was held :damn:

In SH4 US fleet boats the reticle certainly was in the dds file, but in the german subs I couldn't find it anywhere :hmmm:

irish1958
09-11-09, 02:44 PM
As a physician, I am interested in injuries, illnesses and disabilities. In SH3 the medic was introduced, but ineffective. I don't have access to German medical studies re the U-boats, but there is an extensive body of work concerning the American boats. On each patrol there were illnesses, injuries and even deaths from accidents and enemy action, which restricted the effectiveness of the boat.
I am working on a mod for SH3 which incorporates (known) scenarios from the medical literature and gives the medic a real importance and a vital function.
I would like to see this type of realism incorporated in SH5.

Mush Martin
09-11-09, 03:57 PM
A way to make D/P Guns work on player Subs/ships.
air launched torpedo profiles for the AI.
and the ability to man ASW Sloops. frigates, DE's or corvettes.
when doing convoy command mode

M.

karamazovnew
09-11-09, 04:11 PM
Great idea Irish. The health state of the crew is one of the main priorities for any captain. Since we have a cook, I hope the supplies will run out and as they do and the food becomes more "hairy" the health of the crew should deteriorate along with morale. Injuries should be more common and detailed. Banging your head on a pipe during a DC attack must've been quite frequent. Running on the surface in bad weather should loosen some stomachs. And having a badly injured crew member might require a return to base or at least running at depth for a while to allow the medic to do his work.

Carotio
09-11-09, 06:16 PM

This really sounds great. I worked on that file last summer, trying to make a new screen for the periscope in German uboats, and I more or less stopped, when I was unsatisfied with it, because I wanted to do more, like add a button for open/close torpedo doors, move the water level indicator to the outer most left of the screen and lower the position of the fired torpedos. But still the top dials, I made, were attached to the torpedo choice panel, so when you clicked the button to hide it, then the upper panel just moved to the right. Most annoying....
But what I made till I stopped working on it further worked perfectly...:woot:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/Uboot%20Waffe/UbootWaffePeriscope.jpg

TheDarkWraith
09-11-09, 08:33 PM
Harbors - harbors are made by creating 'clones' from the items in the 'harbor kit'. Can these be real objects instead of clones? Being clones poses some limitations on what you can do with them. And because the harbor objects inherited from the base harbor object who inherited from 0x0 this caused even more problems when you tried to do some fancy tricks with the harbor objects. Basically looking for a better system of making harbors and the objects in them.
The lighthouse's rotating 'light' needs to be fixed so that it doesn't shine through it's own lighthouse (SH3 not sure about SH4)
When an object is created that depends on some player guidance (TDC for example for the torpedo), instead of it always spawning north when it doesn't have the information it needs, let it spawn in the direction the controlling object is facing. For instance: I create a torpedo rack on a ship (which is really a gun with the shell's explosion effect spawning a torpedo or the gun's firing effect spawning a torpedo) and when the torpedo rack locks onto a target and it 'fires' the torpedo will spawn in the direction the weapon is facing instead of north (000). This is what has been holding back AI torps from using real torpedoes when I have tried.
Let the ship and sub objects be able to be spawned in code. This will help with making lifeboats, fast boats, etc. If I make a ship that is actually a lifeboat I want to be able to spawn it in code. For instance: when a certain object on the ship is destroyed I want to be able to spawn a lifeboat in it's replacement (through a controller).
Ability to add new dials, buttons, etc. and to be able to map those items to objects so that they can be controllable.
Ability to turn on/off commands. For instance: you have to order your sub to dive by either pressing the key on your keyboard or pressing the dive button. Make this able to be done in code - give me a controller or something that I can use to make these events happen without user input. This will make MANY things happen that I/others have been wanting to do.
Let each crewmember be able to be customizable. If I want one to have a jacket and another not I should be able to do this (easily). Don't tie their jacket to the base 3D model of the crewmember or to it's animations. The jacket should be a seperate object that is able to be 'worn' by the crewmember. Granted this poses some addition animations just for the jacket (or other objects). Let this apply to anything that can be added to a crewmember's person.
I'm sitting in Houston's airport awaiting my next flight so if I think of more I will post more. I just can't think of anything more at the moment.

THE_MASK
09-11-09, 09:44 PM
As i said in the wishes thread , the ability to customise the crew faces and modders ability to add crew and maybe new animations will greatly add to the games ambiance .

THE_MASK
09-11-09, 09:54 PM
The ability to make our own subs/ships/boats like in the way people make trains for the auran trains simulator games would be awesome . Freeware and 3rd party addons of ships and subs would dramatically increase the games appeal . Here is a trainz 3rd party website http://www.trainzone.co.nz/download.htm

Task Force
09-11-09, 10:03 PM
make it simpler to mod the game... for noobs to modding.

Reece
09-11-09, 11:21 PM
AVGWarhawk said:
I was advised that there is a lot of SH4 structure in SH5. This was from the developers. :03:Don't upset me!!:doh:
Webster said:
actually, as i understood it, they said it would share a "simular" file structure so modders would be familiar with the modding methods but that the game itself is a completely all new thing with the best 2009 can offer with nothing taken from sh3 or sh4That's what I like to hear, I feel a bit better now!:yep:

Webster
09-12-09, 03:08 PM
straight from the devs:

... Basically, there's nothing that was taken from SH3 (which was launched 4 and a half years ago). Everything has been redesigned and things that may look like SH3 (because of the historic background) have been recreated to meet the standards of 2009.

and this looks good too:

I do believe you'll be amazed by what Dan has prepared for you in the terms of TDC and manual targeting :arrgh!:. I would have never thought of the idea he came up with.
We'll be previewing it at the Subsim meeting.

TheDarkWraith
09-17-09, 08:54 AM
Controllers that actually work. i.e.: a GLOBALWIND controller that actually will cause the items it's hooked to to be affected by wind (smoke, fire, etc.).
It would also be nice to see the flags weathervane in the wind instead of always pointing in the direction they are placed code wise.

Hitman
09-18-09, 07:33 AM
Another thing worth mentioning (SH3 and 4 already did that in some places) is to have as many external plain text configuration archives as possible, to tweak sensitivity of sensors, weather patterns, etc. Even if the engine is hardcoded, just being able to manipulate the triggers can be good enough to allow excellent tweaking adn trimming of the engine.

TwinStackPete379
09-18-09, 10:07 AM
spread the uv maps out on the textures so we can have more flexibility skinning the subs. trying to skin the top of the bow without making the stern look silly makes my cranial vascular structures weaken, and they may burst soon. Aspirin helps, but only delays the inevitable.

haegemon
09-18-09, 01:55 PM
Well, what people does, and according to what people does while moding we can ask:

1.-The capability to use every ocean in an spheric world.

2.-All objects (vehicles and characters) with as parameters as ships. Sea objects with parameter to fly, float and dive. Surface objects with parameter to ground and fly. Include a parameter to turn lights on/off for all objects which can glow in the night.

3.-The capability to array multiple weapons in one target system, manually controled. To fire with all weapons arrayed over the same target. Also a parameter to simulate the backfire effect on a ship. A must for surface vessels modding as Battleships and cruisers. Also a must for anti-aircraft and gun batteries targetting.

4.-Very important more triggers and events (triggers: based on location of an object, on damage, on the high, ammo load, etc. Events: esplode, damage, move, target, radiomesage, etc)

5.-More freedom to give live to land. Vulnerability for ground objects (if its characteristics are like in ships there's no problem to moddify them).

6.-Finally i would ask for FX boxes. Invisible as object but usable via events and triggers aplied to ambient on the game (smoke, fire, ambiental sound, ambiental glow and flash light). That should be a must to mod land targets, surface warfare.

Hitman
09-18-09, 02:22 PM
Attention! I am now collecting all suggestions in the firts post, which I'm editing on the fly.

:salute:

haegemon
09-18-09, 06:15 PM
I missed one... about the main guns in a battleship, with the backfire there is the blast wave on the water in front the guns. Also like the splash when a projectile impacts the water there was no effect in previous version when it hits the ground.

http://elsmar.com/pdf_files/Weird%20Pictures/Battleship%20firing%20guns.jpg

About the arrayed targetting system in it's AI version, would be great to have the way to array objects to others. I mean, we now can decide which sensors uses every object, but every object sees by itself, I would like a far weapon could pick a target using the sensors from another object closer to the target. The purpouse would be to improve coastal defenses adding realism simulating radio transmitions between an observation bunker and the batteries.

So...

1. manually, multiple weapon-objects against the target player picks with the cursor.
2. AI, objects adquire targets from another object sensors.

haegemon
09-18-09, 07:05 PM
Someone told in another thread, that of editing narrow channels and rivers was imposible cos the smallest pixel was still to big. Another fix.

- Something to edit narrow channels and rivers.

karamazovnew
09-19-09, 01:25 AM
Great idea Hitman :salute:. Here's my contribution:
- Collision Boxes for cameras as we might add objects to the interior.
- Ability to overlap cameras (I miss the Uzo view in SH2).
- Full control over the sound volume and effects (at least the ability to make them act as "dials" with an exponential factor linked to speed or whatever).
- Rotation Parenting between dials, or, better, allow us to make new dials and scripts for them (such as a dial for Course-2xAOB+Range, or whatever).
- Periscope rotation dials :haha:, not the one on the TDC
- no more hardcoded limitation for which cameras/dials/commands work in certain pages (might be fixed already).
- a show/hide controller, dragable/fixed controllers for interface objects (again, might be fixed already).
- Settable mouse sensitivity on all cameras for all axes (in case we mess with zoom levels, the sensitivity is either too high or too low).
-cameras should have controllers with weights (proportions) and customisable pivots (world, certain object etc.). These weights should be dynamic, compatible with triggers.
-Allow setting the rotation axis for 3d objects. I'm tired of exporting objects into Gmax to change their pivot.
-Dials (or more precisely, knobs and needles) should accept "animations" files such as arrays of images.
-Conditions for item loading (if sub is Type2, load something, if clock between 16:00, 05:00, unload something)

Anvart
09-21-09, 07:39 AM
8.-...
(Racerboy): The lighthouse's rotating 'light' needs to be fixed so that it doesn't shine through it's own lighthouse (SH3 not sure about SH4)

Yes, but ...
I would tell... To make other generators of "light" particles or to change properties of objects material ...

9.- (Racerboy): When an object is created that depends on some player guidance (TDC for example for the torpedo), instead of it always spawning north when it doesn't have the information it needs, let it spawn in the direction the controlling object is facing. For instance: I create a torpedo rack on a ship (which is really a gun with the shell's explosion effect spawning a torpedo or the gun's firing effect spawning a torpedo) and when the torpedo rack locks onto a target and it 'fires' the torpedo will spawn in the direction the weapon is facing instead of north (000). This is what has been holding back AI torps from using real torpedoes when I have tried.
Yes, but ...
I would tell... to make (WaterInteraction controller as example) ... at generation of new object, if WorldLink = true its direction (in World) coincided with a direction written down in parametres of new object, if WorldLink = false the direction of new object coincide with a direction of the replaced object...

12.- (Racerboy):
Yes, and ...
I would tell... to have possibility easy to create new (full-function) Crew slots (additional members of crew) with existing StateMachine Classes and with new StateMachine Classes...
I would like to have the universal (none conflicted) controller for movement and rotation of any object (using events, commands and uboat/damage states)...
I would like to have rotation of sensors object (Revolving in SensorData controller) only when sensor is active ...
I would like to have possibility to do any 3D-objects disappeared/appeared (not correct visible/invisible) depending on the submarine states (surfaced/submerged and others) ... in SH4 we have IsVisible = 0/1 for crew death in StateMachine system ...
as example disappeared/appeared some instruments on Watch Deck depending on the submerged/surfaced submarine (as watch crew)...
To improve controllers WaterReflection and VisibleUnderWater (artefacts) ...
To increase UBoat states (surfaced/submerged) and damage states in StateMachine system ...
and so on ...
In other words to expand possibilities of game modding ... my english does not allow me to describe all ... :wah:
:D

haegemon
09-23-09, 09:19 PM
(Racerboy):

(Anvart): I would like to have possibility to do objects visible/invisible depending on the submarine states (surfaced/submerged) ...

The same applied to every object type. If they give us a standar object controller with all the parameters to make it act as we want, then we'll have "the means" to do everything.

skwasjer
09-24-09, 07:30 PM
You can already hide objects depending on sub state... :hmmm:

I just wish for true scriptable behaviors, like what they seem to have done for the 2D UI. But this will not happen I think :(

Q3 had QVM's which worked a charm... it allowed you to take full control over the device context, game state and more, and you could really go beyond what most games allow us to do and that was 7 years ago. I still wonder why not many developrs have not picked that concept up.

kapitan_zur_see
09-25-09, 05:17 AM
To have a generic 3D invisible trigger_event box and the ability to tie it to any event/animation/sounds/FX we'd like to design. For example to design additional waves splash + additional splash sounds. etc.

Less restrictions in terms of tweaking the 3d engine especially underwater. I don't know what the preview screenshots we saw are supposed to reflect so much final game engine, but there's lots we can do! Not just fog in the distance and some not-so-blended blue gradient. And also ability to integrate "easily" some more shaders because it's what could make a real difference.
Depth of field effect also, it's quite standard these days

In other words, have the possibility to tweak and add atmospheric effects underwater like the photoshoped screenshots of SH4 once were:

This is what would be awesome and really atmospheric:
http://www.gogamer.com/screenshots/gogamer/001SIL4/1.jpg

This is far too simplistic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UTFnozSwee4/Rog_bA_-mMI/AAAAAAAAAXs/SaxFsRrew8Q/s400/SH4Img@1-7-2007_16.47.38_504.jpg

Also, no more "shared" textured on 3d model. It's a bit painfull to modify the hull and to suprisingly discover the UZO modified also in the process! or some mirroring everywhere of parts of the texture. It makes designing very high-res textures for those whose PC can handle them virtually impossible.

In the same fashion, no UV count restriction on 3D model. be able to add as much UV maps as we want to have lots of different textures on 3D model. And no texture size restriction also

TheDarkWraith
09-25-09, 09:59 AM
In the same fashion, no UV count restriction on 3D model. be able to add as much UV maps as we want to have lots of different textures on 3D model.

That's already possible. If you know the file structure then you know that you can add more quite easily. Most people think they are limited to the number of maps that are in the associated file...not so. Now I don't know how many the game will support but you can definitely add more.

Hitman
09-25-09, 02:48 PM
First post edited to add the new suggestions so far :up:

Remember that I'm trying to stick to modding questions, not general game improvements :ping:

maerean_m
09-26-09, 01:41 AM
Also, no more "shared" textured on 3d model. It's a bit painfull to modify the hull and to suprisingly discover the UZO modified also in the process! or some mirroring everywhere of parts of the texture. It makes designing very high-res textures for those whose PC can handle them virtually impossible.
That would be very nice.
But then a lot of players will say they don't have the money to buy that video card that can support all those things.
And the [whole] game must fit inside those 256 mb video cards.

martes86
09-26-09, 03:11 PM
That would be very nice.
But then a lot of players will say they don't have the money to buy that video card that can support all those things.
And the [whole] game must fit inside those 256 mb video cards.

I don't see why has that to be an issue in the present. It sure wasn't for the guys who made Crysis and games like that. 256 is a little old kind of graphics card, I think games should be developed for the future, not the past. It's ok to have options that make it possible for those cards to run fine, but that doesn't have to limit the qualities for those who can actually handle all the stress on the card. We have such cool graphics now because back in the day when all we had was the Geforce 440MX or a S3Trio card with a little more than 32MB, some games started to need more and more hardware... sure, a lot of the people back then complained about having to buy a new card, but, hey, that's what you get for beauty, powerful games, and renewed capabilities in the field of PC hardware... If it was on some hands, we'd probably be stuck with the 486s. :nope:

Cheers

roadhogg
10-20-09, 08:54 AM
I hope this is a good place to put this request.
I really want the SH5 devs to take notice.

Can we have seperate AP catagories for the minimum and maximum blast radius of torpedoes in the torpedo .zon please?

Warships had armour to protect against attack from everything, including torpedoes, therefore you would expect a torpedo to be more effective against a merchant or lightly armoured ship, than against a heavily armoured warship.

If the AmmoDamageInfo for each torpedo read like this:

MinEF=
MaxEF=
MinRadius=
AP=
MaxRadius=
AP=

we could "tailor" the radius and blast effect of a torpedo so that it destroys a larger zone area on a merchant than on a battleship.

For example: i set an engine zone on an Illustrious Carrier less than 2m below the water line with an armour rating for the ship of 70mm (max is 100mm).
I fired a magnetic set to 10m under the boat, and it destroyed the zone.
The stated min and max radius of the torp is 4.1m and 5.5m. But the effective blast radius is twice that.
It's the same for impact torpedoes fired at the side of the ship.
The effect is that when a ship takes a hit to the engines, all the engines stop and she's dead in the water for you to finish off at your leisure.
This is not realistic.
It's the same even with the battleships, the most heavily armoured ships in the game.
with the catagories set as suggested above we could at least lower the ( AP= ) for the MaxRadius to, say 50, so that the torpedo destroys a bigger area of a merchant than a battleship.

Then we'd have a greater possibility of ships carrying on in an injured state ( albeit with a list and at reduced speed ) rather than just coasting to a halt like dead ducks.
It would make hunting warships much more of a challenge than they are currently.
I've tried adding an extra catagory but it won't let me.
I think the catagories are hard coded ( but i hope i'm wrong and someone can cure it ).
If it IS hardcoded, it needs fixing. . . . asap. Or for SH5.
Or all you have to do is hit a ship under the engines.

As i say, i hope this is the right place to put this suggestion, and if not, please don't bite me :D

Edit:
Almost forgot.
I think the blast radius applies to the blast radius in water, which appears to be magnified by about 2 when the blast contacts the boat.

Sailor Steve
10-20-09, 11:27 AM
I missed one... about the main guns in a battleship, with the backfire there is the blast wave on the water in front the guns.
And not just battleships. When my destroyer would fire her 5" guns I noticed the same effect; much less of course, but still there. At the time I called it "scudding".

Jimbuna
10-20-09, 01:54 PM
Anti acoustic torpedo system such as 'Foxer' for some escorts late war.

Philipp_Thomsen
10-20-09, 03:42 PM
1) THAT BLOODY DEATH SCREEN!

You should be able to see what happens till you (capitan) actually dies on the boat. You can also get killed at anytime, like the other sailors.

2) FLOODED COMPARTMENTS!

Able to sustain damage like fully flooded compartments and still manage to try to save your boat and crew.

3) REALISTIC SHIP SAILING BEHAVIOR!

No more that sports car of a ship... Ships takes 10, 20 minutes to fully stop, not 5 seconds. The ships must feel like they have 5 thousand tons, cos they actually do!

4) INTERIOR SOUNDS FOR SURFACED AND DIVING CONDITIONS!

So we (modders) can create different ambient interior sounds for surfaced/underwater situations, and also for silent running situations.

5) WAVE MECHANICS/WEATHER!

In a certain way that would eliminate the pattern effects that makes the waves look like a chessboard, with the same repetitive movement, waves in blocks. She sea is where you spend 99,9% of the time while in-game, so it have to be really realistic, both over and under the surface. Instead of only 4 kinds of weather, much more (32, 64), so we can have from no-winds/mirror like sea all the way to impossible storms, strong enough to sink/damage the sub, impossible conditions to stay surfaced. Electric storms would also be very nice.

6) U-BOAT FUNCTIONALITIES!

Possibility to use everything the uboat offers... Left engine, right engine, diesel underwater (with consequences), electric motor surfaced, operate the dive planes and valves and every possible thing that the uboat offered as a feature to be more precise about your surfaced/underwater maneuverablity. Possibility to use a precise amount of ballast (maybe by pressing & holding a key)... etc.

7) MORE IMMERSIVE CAMPAIGN

Feel like you're not alone. Messages from BDU that really mean something, like operations or other stuff that you can be part of. Messages from S.O.S from any other vessel around that are trully there, so you can go on a hunt. Messages from other UBoats trying to syncronize a wolfpack on a convoy, an existing uboat porsuing an existing convoy, not just messages to make you feel you're not alone (by the way, doesn't work).

My 7 cents.
:up:

Sailor Steve
10-20-09, 03:57 PM
Feel like you're not alone. Messages from BDU that really mean something, like operations or other stuff that you can be part of.
:yep:

Messages from S.O.S from any other vessel around that are trully there, so you can go on a hunt.
I've posted before on ship names, but this makes me want to elaborate. If another ubboat sinks a ship, that name should be removed from the roster just as when you sink one. An ocassional SOS would be nice, and it could be tied in with the name of the ship itself. Of course it shouldn't happen all the time. Also, it would be nice if when you sank a ship you might or might not hear and SOS (or SSS), but what about intercepting a lifeboat and getting a message (or even a cutscene) of them giving you that ship's name, tonnage and sometimes cargo?

Messages from other UBoats trying to syncronize a wolfpack on a convoy, an existing uboat porsuing an existing convoy, not just messages to make you feel you're not alone (by the way, doesn't work).
We've discussed that in another thread, and it's a good idea. Of course you would also need messages from other uboats complaining that they won't be there in time, or in bad weather complaining that they can't find the convoy.

Philipp_Thomsen
10-20-09, 04:00 PM
Hey Steve!

Good to see you arond, how're doing mate?

Going on the Subsim meeting? Im planning on going on next year's! :up:

Sailor Steve
10-20-09, 04:09 PM
Hi PT! I saw that you were back, but everybody was so busy saying hi that I didn't quite get around to it. How's the walkabout going? I'm still waiting to see if you get up my way.

I didn't get to go the one in Copenhagen, but I had a good reason:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157449

As for next year? We'll see.

Philipp_Thomsen
10-20-09, 10:54 PM
Hi PT! I saw that you were back, but everybody was so busy saying hi that I didn't quite get around to it. How's the walkabout going? I'm still waiting to see if you get up my way.

I didn't get to go the one in Copenhagen, but I had a good reason:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157449

As for next year? We'll see.

LOL! Not bad...

Lad, we'll see eachother in the 2010 meeting... I'd love to hear more of your stories... and it can be quite fun! I have a bad reputation here with some folks, due to a very cloudy past, but I intend to show them Im no monster.

:up:

Ducimus
10-22-09, 06:49 PM
While im sure if i sat here long enough i'd come up with all sorts of suggestions, i have only one suggestion to offer at this time.

Depth limits/settings on depth charges.

Currently SH3/SH4 drops them to 300 meters, regardless of year, or type of depth charge (if modded in), and you can't adjust this.