PDA

View Full Version : Another Greenhorn's Green-ish Question(s)

De420
09-10-09, 01:42 PM
Greetings all. I have a little question , that may have been asked before ( i did swim through the forum but...alas , i didnt find anything ) - its about the Radio Station. Now , whats the point of it ? I mean, there is a short cut button to it (R) that places you on the RO's place but...why ? Everything is inactive, you cannot see your radio messages ( wich is a bit unlogical ), you cannot use the gramaphone you cannot do any thing... So if someone can spare a bit of there time to....enlighten me , i will be very gratefull :)

Rapt0r56
09-10-09, 01:56 PM
mh... your'e right there's not really a thingy wich you can interact with, the ony thing is the Radar in late war. :up:

And Welcome to Subsim! :)

Sailor Steve
09-10-09, 02:22 PM
I think it's mainly because the Radio and Sound stations are right next to each other. You can take the hydrophone operator's place, so why not the radioman's as well?

I wish you could actually use the gramaphone directly from the Radio position, or play around with the enigma. About the only thing I use it for is to take a close-up look at the poster girl I have on the wall.

flag4
09-10-09, 02:43 PM
firstly, welcome De420:salute:

i suppose it's nice to look at - adds a little to the immersion thingy !

(?) did you know that if you press H it will take you to the Hydro operator wheel and you can do the search yourself, listening to slug slug or chatter chatter of distant merchants or aggressive destroyers. you will also hear the Ker-splosh of the depth charges raining down on your little fragile world......:ping:

good luck!!

Rafael
09-10-09, 02:44 PM
... I mean, there is a short cut button to it (R) that places you on the RO's place but...why ? Everything is inactive, you cannot see your radio messages ( wich is a bit unlogical ), you cannot use the gramaphone you cannot do any thing...

Absolutely right, never thought about it. In fact you cannot do anything there.

Nevertheless, there is (as Steve wrote) the hydrophone room.

A real Kaleun would NEVER sit in the radio (playing with the gramophone) and/or hydrophone room. :yep:

:arrgh!:

Brag
09-10-09, 04:49 PM
Welcome aboard, De! :salute:
What can I ad? It is just there :D

De420
09-11-09, 02:41 AM
Mmm, so its like the Captain's bed(wich shoud have had a shortcut key too :D )...oh well; Thank you for your time and for the wellcomes.:03:

sunvalleyslim
09-11-09, 11:21 PM
De420,
As Sailor Steve said "It's there to check out your Pinup Girl"...Hopefully you have a few of Tikigods Pinups lying around for the Crew to enjoy......:D:D:D

De420
09-12-09, 03:06 AM
Hehe yeah i too agree with Sailor Steve but there is a slight problem...im currently on a Type II boat and...well...there is no girl poster infront of the radio station, so....:hmmm: PS: That reminds me - I would like to ask for some advices and tips for career mode -> Like i said im currently playing with a Type II U-boat ( im playing on 60% realism )((god's eye mode is enabled)...the problem is , i have a hard time tracking enemy ships ( i've made 4 patrols and only on 1 i have managed to sink something (1 small merchant ship ). I thought about hanging around enemy ports but that wasnt a good idea. So any help will be appreciated:03:

Sledgehammer427
09-12-09, 03:48 AM
hmmmm,
well, using a type II your attack choices are limited, but you do have some.

First, when you spot a ship, track which way it is heading and try to intercept it, that way when the ship crosses your bow, you will be right there, within range, ready to fire.

Second, you should try GWX, it gives you a more realistic bang for your buck (found in the SH3 mods workshop, it stickied) that is, if you haven't.

but I forgot to add, when you spot that ship and laid out an intercept course, go to ahead flank, nothing wrong with getting there early :D
I would make 2-3 marks of the ship's location, to get an idea of which way it is headed, then, I would use the compass tool to draw a line through them to get an idea of where I am supposed to be when the ship reaches my location. of course, I go the extra distance and lay out the ruler to figure out the range to the target from my position.
it's worked very well for me, but I use a type VII, and have a lot more hitting power (I.E. a deck gun, a stern tube, and an extra bow tube)

De420
09-12-09, 06:18 AM
Sledgehammer427 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=232719), thanks i will play around with the map tools and maybe i'll change my fleet. And about GWX, yes, i really should download it but a mysterious force....for some reason stops me...:dead: