PDA

View Full Version : newbie...which mods?

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:23 AM
I am a newbie to this game. i see there are a lot of mods i can d/l. which ones should i go with first? do i need to patch my installed version with the 1.4 patch prior to d/l any mods? the GWX...is that something i can take advantage of? i am not a pc guru, and it seems like you have to know a lot about computer language for these mods to run. is there an "idiots" guide to mods? thanks...

Brag
09-06-09, 10:28 AM
Welcome aboard, M14!
GWX is very complete, one install and youre on your way. If your disk doesn't have the 1.4 patch already you need to insyall that first

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:41 AM
Right click on sh3.exe and click the version tab. It must be:

Version 1.4.0.1

There are many supermods.

Mod = short for modification.

GWX 3.0
NYGM
LSH3 4.0
WAC 4.0

The above are supermods.

Install SH3 (clean install), if need patched you download the patch an ubi.com.

Download http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products-jsgme.html) this great program and put the jsgme_setup.exe in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII

Double click the jsgme_setup.exe in the above folder.

Make a folder called MODS.

Download 7-zip at: http://7zip-new.com/

Download a supermod (stated above, see the four I gave you) and extract a 7z file to C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS

If you want to install GWX, they have made a simple exe file now, just run the exe.

If you want to use SH3 Commander, download this great program too and install GWX3_CFG_for_SH3Commanders.exe.

Every supermod (only WAC don't have it) have special files for SH3 Commander.

With SH3 Commander you can adjust almost everything concerning game play and other things.

I hope this helps!

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:42 AM
Brag - i looked in my shiii folder and the patch appears to be there. I downloaded the generic mod enabler a few minutes ago. Do i d/l the gwx to that? Where can i obtain the gwx mod?

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:46 AM
Brag - i looked in my shiii folder and the patch appears to be there. I downloaded the generic mod enabler a few minutes ago. Do i d/l the gwx to that? Where can i obtain the gwx mod?

Download GWX here (http://www.thegreywolves.com/) and download from Jimbuna's page the exe file, that is a normal installation.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:56 AM
sorry to keep asking so many questions, but i am a novice at this. are there some mods that contain redundant items, i.e. if i really want the das boot sound mod, is it also in the GWX mod? see what i mean?

Rafael
09-06-09, 11:01 AM
First download here http://www.filefront.com/12774688/GWX3.exe

... then install the program.

If you want to use SH3 Commander, install first SH3 Commander and then the specially made files for GWX http://www.filefront.com/12815500/GWX3_CFG_for_SH3Commanders.exe

Concerning your question, that's why you need to use JSGME mod installer. Install certain mods you want and uninstall << if you don't want them anymore. It's quite simple.

Damo
09-06-09, 03:19 PM
JSGME is essential for installing mods as it lets you know if there are any files being overwritten by certain mods. It's prudent to pay particular attention to this as certain mods will cancel out others through file overwriting and may cause instability and CTD's. When I first started installing mods (not that long ago) I started with GWX and started adding things on top through trial and error and suffered a lot of incompatibilities but once I started sifting through the warnings in JSGME I started to see where the problems lie. Now I've been able to tailor certain mods to work with each other or 'merging' as it's known and I use Winmerge that compares text files next to each other so you can see where the differences are and edit them. This is advanced stuff for you at the moment but it didn't take long for me to get on top of it.

Some things to remember is to always install mods while you are in port, never mid patrol and if you do make any changes manually, backup your original files. A lot of people create a separate or copyinstall so that if anything goes tits up you can overwrite your install back to a stable point, or you can just copy your 'data' folder somewhere and use that as a backup as most mods make changes within that folder.

One thing that I found when I was new was that mods seem to be posted all over the place like here in the downloads section, filefront, mediafire, etc. and it's hard to keep track but by reading the forums exstensively you'll eventually find everything you need along with tips on how to get everything working properly. My game at the moment is at a point now where I'm happy but it's been a rocky road up to this point with a lot of frustration and taxing the grey matter. End result is well worth it though.

Good luck and PM me if you need any one on one help, I'd be happy to give you some pointers but there are far more knowledgeable people here. Everybody has a different idea of what the perfect SH3 should be, which is good because without that, we'd not have such a wide choice of mods.

Jimbuna
09-07-09, 06:18 AM
GWX3.0 has JSGME incorporated. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Rafael
09-07-09, 12:09 PM
GWX3.0 has JSGME incorporated. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Yes that's true I forgot that. Correct Jim!

Just download GWX 3.0 and it will put automatically JSGME in the correct folder.

:yep:

m14msgt
09-09-09, 12:24 AM
OK - I want to d/l the GWX GOLD 3.0 from the greywolves.com website. I have re-installed SHIII fresh and patched it with the 1.4 patch. Which GWX d/l do I pick? Single d/l, multi-part? Does it make a big difference?

U2222
09-09-09, 05:48 AM
I think if you click on the single download from Grey Wolves website you will find that the link has been closed.
You may find the single dl elsewhere but I took the multipart download.
Just save all files to the same directory and activate the exe.

Sailor Steve
09-09-09, 01:20 PM
sorry to keep asking so many questions, but i am a novice at this. are there some mods that contain redundant items, i.e. if i really want the das boot sound mod, is it also in the GWX mod? see what i mean?
GWX uses some Das Boot sounds, and many others. Play it for awhile and see what you think. If you want more sounds from the movie, load DBSM after GWX. If you want other sounds, try some of the other sound mods. JSGME lets you try them and remove them again with no trouble.

Most mod that come after GWX will be small 'atmosphere' mods - ones that change the feel of things. They aren't necessary, but they do let you shape the way the game feels to you. Some of us use large numbers of different mods, so you need to find what works for you and what you don't need as well. It's a long, time-consuming process. In fact I've been playing for more than four years now and I'm still not satisfied. Silly me.

One thing you almost certainly will want is SH3 Commander. It lets you change things inside the game with a single click of the mouse. It also gives names to the merchants you sink (real ships names, of course) and more variety to the crewmens' names than you could have dreamt possible. It works outside the game, so it can be installed before or after GWX or any other mod, and it's the single most important aid to gameplay that I can think of.

Jimbuna
09-09-09, 01:50 PM
OK - I want to d/l the GWX GOLD 3.0 from the greywolves.com website. I have re-installed SHIII fresh and patched it with the 1.4 patch. Which GWX d/l do I pick? Single d/l, multi-part? Does it make a big difference?

I'm afraid the single file exe is currently unavailable since bts went down.

You can click on my GWX3.0 link below my sig and access the GWX3.0 exe and seven bin files.

Rafael
09-09-09, 02:17 PM
One mistake in GWX 3.0. The ring-ring bell sound if changing speed.

"Ohhh ... what did I wrote ... now they are coming" :damn:

Download the file below, it's a NO RING RING file.

http://www.filefront.com/14227477/GWX_2_-_No_RING_RING_Mod_r.rar/

m14msgt
09-10-09, 07:44 PM
ok - downloaded the GWX Gold (all 8 files to include the .exe file). didn't see the JSGME anywhere in that mix. am i missing something??

Damo
09-10-09, 09:51 PM
When you run the .exe it will install it automatically, the only part of GWX you install with JSGME is the optional extras, integrated orders, 16km atmosphere, open hatch etc, etc. Run the .exe and the main GWX installs itself as well as JSGME.

m14msgt
09-10-09, 11:37 PM
man, it seems i'm cursed. when installing GWX, I get this error message saying one of the tga files is corrupted, and it asks if i want to continue install (not recommended) or abort. i chose continue. anyone else have this issue? what's a guy have to go thru to get a simple mod???? :stare:

Damo
09-10-09, 11:52 PM
Is it just one .tga file corrupted? Any other issues? Is the mod installed? Does it work? If it's just one .tga file that's screwed you should be able to replace it to solve the problem. What .tga file was it? Sure I could send you a duplicate if that's the only issue. It's when it starts giving reports of multiple corruptions in bigger files that things go downhill. .tga's are just image files so a small detail really, you might not even notice a difference, unless it causes a CTD of course.

m14msgt
09-11-09, 12:54 AM
cant remember which TGA...but it was only one. mod seems to have installed okay.

U2222
09-11-09, 05:02 AM
I had this - I think it was a sea file but it's caused no play issues with me to date.
Update
My file was
data/sea/NKSs/NKSs_T05.tga

m14msgt
09-11-09, 07:16 PM
ok - after a ridiculously long load time, i experienced GWX for the 1st time. I noticed the crew all speaks english. also, for some reason the panel at the bottom of the screen which allows you to control depth, rudder, etc. was missing. i used jsgme to install the open hath, 16k atmosphere mods, but don't know their significance. also, i didnt notice any sounds from das boot movie.

Damo
09-11-09, 07:48 PM
Try setting speech to German in options but keeping English text, I know Thompsens Soundpack only works with speech on German, I guess Das Boot will prolly be the same. The interface should switch on and off by using the numpad Del key left of the Enter but if it fails to show up when you do this it might have something to do with that corrupted .tga you spoke of before which is a bugger as you don't know which .tga it was and if a reinstall fails you may need to re-download again.

All I can say is, dude, you must have been an evil sod in a previous life to deserve this much hassle...

:rotfl:

Hope it works out.

m14msgt
09-11-09, 07:58 PM
will do = thx