PDA

View Full Version : We're doomed!

Stormende
09-06-09, 02:19 AM
Who in his right mind will think of installing Windows to control a nuclear submarine?!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/windows_for_submarines_rollout/

Jeez, now I realize why they collided with that french sub.

:dead:

magic452
09-06-09, 03:06 AM
It gives a new meaning to the term "The blue screen of death".

Magic

Tarrasque
09-06-09, 04:29 AM
Who in his right mind will think of installing Windows to control a nuclear submarine?!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/windows_for_submarines_rollout/

Jeez, now I realize why they collided with that french sub.

:dead:

Actually it was the French who collided with us. Unless you're saying we somehow managed to move our sub sideways to smash into the front of the french sub :O:

SteamWake
09-06-09, 08:53 AM

Magic

:rotfl:

Funny ! :har:

Munchausen
09-06-09, 12:57 PM

:har: Make room on the floor, SW... :haha:

Stormende
09-06-09, 01:16 PM

Magic

You betcha it does and also a whole new meaning to "dead fishes".

:damn:

Stormende
09-06-09, 01:24 PM
Actually it was the French who collided with us. Unless you're saying we somehow managed to move our sub sideways to smash into the front of the french sub :O:

Hmmm It's Windows, mate. So nothing is for sure, the darn thing can drive things crazy so maybe it decided to go crazy Ivan.

:03:

No seriously, if windows crashes the worst that can happen to me is to reboot and no harm done (except maybe I will have to restart the game) but if it does the same to a nuclear sub... Well then it will be game over for those guys, let us pray it won't control the weapons at all.

Armistead
09-06-09, 02:21 PM
It can't control the weapons on it's own, so even if it doe's fail, no worries there, but seems it's possible it could screw up other things.

gimpy117
09-06-09, 05:33 PM
Lets hack it.

Munchausen
09-07-09, 01:35 PM
...no worries there....

:hmmm: Is that a quote from Bill Gates?

gAiNiAc
09-10-09, 11:01 AM
The reporting here is most likely incorrect. The US installation of Windows LAN's onboard are mostly for training and administration. Not actually tied in and used for command and control systems. That stuff is far more rigorous and isolated. All the signal processing stuff is on highly specialized unix boxes.

Armistead
09-10-09, 11:13 AM
:hmmm: Is that a quote from Bill Gates?

Yea, his famous word's each time a new version of windows is released.

GerritJ9
09-10-09, 03:39 PM
W2000 was Microsoft's best OS ever and could have been even better if MS had left out Internet Explorer- XP and Vista are loaded with "necessary extras" but how many of us use all of them???? The only thing I like about Vista is the extra language packs for Ultimate. My ideal OS would be something like W2000 with the extra language pack option for those who want to run several accounts in different languages. ReactOS, anybody?

I'm goin' down
09-10-09, 07:18 PM
One day a seaman will think he is playing SH5, and nuke the enemy....for real!

GerritJ9
09-11-09, 04:25 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of a cartoon I saw in an English newspaper during the Falklands War in 1982. It showed a sailor holding a mop standing on the casing of a surfaced RN boomer, just aft of the conning tower. Behind the sailor was an opened missile silo hatch with smoke pouring out; the sub's skipper was on the conning tower looking down at the sailor, roaring at him "Higgins!!!! Did YOU just nuke Buenos Aires?????"