PDA

View Full Version : DBSM??

m14msgt
09-06-09, 12:14 AM
I d/l the DBSM for SHIII into the sound folder in my SHIII...but i see no change in the game play. Am I doing something wrong? Where am I supposed to save this mod to??

mcf1
09-06-09, 01:32 AM
Hi mate and welcome.
For the mod to work, you have to replace the files located in the sound folder
with those from DBSM. Before you do that, you should copy the original files somewhere, just in case you need them

Or you can download and install JSGME. you can find it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141773&highlight=jsgme
then put the DBSM folder in the MODS folder that the install will create in our SH3 directory, after that run JSGME and you will see the DBSM mod there, from there you can enable it.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:19 AM
the dbsm is a 7Z file? When I double click the mod, nothing happens. all the other sound fx in my sounds folder are wave sound types. how can i replace when the 7z is not recognized?

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:21 AM
the dbsm is a 7Z file? When I double click the mod, nothing happens. all the other sound fx in my sounds folder are wave sound types. how can i replace when the 7z is not recognized?

Download 7-zip from 7-zip.org

http://7zip-new.com/

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:26 AM
download it to where? my SHiii folder, data folder, sound folder? not sure... :)

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:28 AM
Get first (download):

This great program from JSCones:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products-jsgme.html)

Put it in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII (if your path is the same).

Make a folder called: MODS ...

Install the above JSGME mod enabler, it will say MODS upon installing and click OK.

Drag your DBSM mod in folder MODS.

Start JSGME and you will see DBSM >> install it to the right side.

Done.

This is how you install all mods, but be aware ... only install mods when you are in base. Sound mods can be installed (I think) always ... even (saved game) on patrol.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:32 AM
so then i dont need to d/l the 7-Zip deal?

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:43 AM
so then i dont need to d/l the 7-Zip deal?

Yes download 7-zip this is like rar a compression program, you need it for extracting many mods. 7 zip is free. You can extract with 7-zip everything, like rar, zip etc. etc.

Unzip the DBSM with right click (after installing 7-zip). I will extract the DBSM.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:45 AM
Does it matter where I d/l the 7-Zip to on my PC?

Rafael
09-06-09, 10:49 AM
Does it matter where I d/l the 7-Zip to on my PC?

No just download 7 zip and install it. It is a compression program, you need it when unpacking (extracting) files.

It's a stand alone program, always handy to unpack every mod that is compressed with 7z.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 10:58 AM
ok thanks. one more ? - GWX3 gold? and the installer from jarmuna's website? who is jarmuna and how do i get to that site?

Rafael
09-06-09, 11:04 AM
ok thanks. one more ? - GWX3 gold? and the installer from jarmuna's website? who is jarmuna and how do i get to that site?

It's Jimbuna (and I am Rafael), click here http://www.thegreywolves.com/ and click on download. You will see a link to Jimbuna's filefront page:

http://www.filefront.com/user/JimbunaGWX2

You're welcome!

m14msgt
09-06-09, 11:16 AM
ok - i d/l the 7-Zip and then the DBSM mod. when it finished d/l it asked me if i wanted to open the file. when i tried it said it did not recognize the program and gave me the list of programs. 7-sip wasnt on the list. what am i doing wrong? do i need to drop the dbsm into the 7zip file i d/l earlier?

Rafael
09-06-09, 11:17 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1146848&postcount=10

Here you can see an image of installed mods for GWX 3.0 with JSGME.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 11:19 AM
i right clicked the dbsm and it gave me several options. i chose 7-zip and it asks me if i want to extract, extract here, extract to dbsm for shiii ? where do i tell it to extract the files?

Rafael
09-06-09, 11:22 AM
ok - i d/l the 7-Zip and then the DBSM mod. when it finished d/l it asked me if i wanted to open the file. when i tried it said it did not recognize the program and gave me the list of programs. 7-sip wasnt on the list. what am i doing wrong? do i need to drop the dbsm into the 7zip file i d/l earlier?

1. Right click on DBSM_SH4.7z file.

2. You can choose open.

3. Click the blow icon.

4. Change the path (copy to) to C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS

Wait for extracting!!!

Done.

Rafael
09-06-09, 11:26 AM
3. Click the blow icon.

3. Click the blue icon.

Mistake, must be blue icon.

After the extraction, enable (>>) the DBSM file (which is located in MODS folder) with JSGME.

m14msgt
09-06-09, 11:23 PM
ok - right clicked it and chose "open" and a window popped up saying: "windows cannot open this file. to open this file windows needs to know what program created it. windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs on your computer."

when i select a program from a list option, there is no 7-zip program listed. this can't really be this hard can it???

GoldenRivet
09-07-09, 12:52 AM
Ohhhhhhhh

DBSM

:DL

thought you said BDSM

opened the thread expecting something totally different

m14msgt
09-07-09, 02:11 AM
actually - looks like i got it. i used the mod installer and it says its activated.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 02:24 AM
maybe not. ran game and didnt notice any difference in the sounds fx. sounded like the ones from the initial game install. yet, in the generic mod enabler, it says the DBSM for SHIII is activated.

irish1958
09-07-09, 07:28 AM
Deactivate the mod
Go to you mod folder in JSGME, right click and explore it
The folder that appears should be "data"
If it is the name of the mod, you have not installed it correctly.
If so, post back for further instructions.

Pisces
09-07-09, 10:14 AM
Does anybodt have a link to that DBSM? I haven't got a clue what it is, and now I'm curious. I intend to help, but don't want to make a fool out of myself.

Rafael
09-07-09, 12:06 PM
Does anybodt have a link to that DBSM? I haven't got a clue what it is, and now I'm curious. I intend to help, but don't want to make a fool out of myself.

It's Das Boot Sound Music, there is also a version from Sailor Steve.

A big sound mod, similar as Thomsen's Sound Pack.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 01:56 PM
ok - went to the generic mod enabler and deactivated it...then rt clicked it and selected explore. a window opened up with three folders and four readme text files. folders were named: alternate depth charge, alternate torpedo hit and DBSM. what did i do wrong?

Rafael
09-07-09, 02:04 PM
ok - went to the generic mod enabler and deactivated it...then rt clicked it and selected explore. a window opened up with three folders and four readme text files. folders were named: alternate depth charge, alternate torpedo hit and DBSM. what did i do wrong?

You have another DBSM. You have this one Sailor_Steve_DBSM.7z

But you want DBSM_SH4.7z.

1. Right mouse on your file.

2. Click on open.

3. Click the blue icon extract.

4. Copy to: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS

5. Enable DBSM >> with JSGME.

Wait.

Done.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 02:13 PM
where do i find this DBSM_SH4.7z. sound mod? its not on the downloads page that i could see.

Rafael
09-07-09, 02:30 PM
where do i find this DBSM_SH4.7z. sound mod? its not on the downloads page that i could see.

I don't know, I have it on my external HD, with 50.000 other mods :03:

I can't remember where I have downloaded all mods that I have.

There are many mods out there, maybe you can find it here at subsim. Also Thomsen Sound Pack v4 is on subsim.com, this is sure because I had it on my own website ... after deleting from my website it was available here at subsim.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 02:35 PM
Is the Thomsen Sound Pack v4 i a good one? Is it hard to install?

Rafael
09-07-09, 02:38 PM

I think it is here on subsim.com, DBSM has been altered by Sailor Steve and is 101 MB.

DBSM_SH4.7z is 123 MB.

Check out downloads (subsim.com) >> sounds ... maybe it's there?

Or ask (friendly ;)) Sailor Steve for information concerning his altered sound file.

Rafael
09-07-09, 02:40 PM
Is the Thomsen Sound Pack v4 i a good one? Is it hard to install?

No it's the same installation, just follow the steps I gave. When I had it on my website it has been downloaded sooo many times that my provider gave me a warning! Fair Use Policy.

Thanks Rafael for the help! :yep:

m14msgt
09-07-09, 05:13 PM
ok - activated all the mods I wanted using the mod enabler and started the game. nothing was different. not even the sound. what am i doing wrong?? very frustrating.

Rafael
09-07-09, 06:18 PM
ok - activated all the mods I wanted using the mod enabler and started the game. nothing was different. not even the sound. what am i doing wrong?? very frustrating.

I don't know what you are doing wrong? And if things are not working I understand that it is frustrating.

We need to know if everything is OK, lets start again:

Is your SH3 game installed here, see below:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII

and do you have a folder in SilentHunterIII called "MODS" ... example:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS

JSGME (the mod enabler JSGME.exe file) must be here: SilentHunterIII (in this map/folder) example:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII JSGME.exe

Obviously you are doing something wrong ... :yep:

m14msgt
09-07-09, 06:37 PM
yes, the file path is as you listed. i just checked. am i supposed to do something to the original files that the mods replace?

m14msgt
09-07-09, 06:40 PM
are all these mods for career play only? i tried in the single-mission mode.

Rafael
09-07-09, 06:52 PM
are all these mods for career play only? i tried in the single-mission mode.

The files are for a single mission and if you want (sound files for sure) for everything.

Do you know how to enable via JSGME >> and disable << a specific mod?

Rafael
09-07-09, 06:57 PM
yes, the file path is as you listed. i just checked. am i supposed to do something to the original files that the mods replace?

No, do not touch the original files ... however with sound files there is no problem tot do it manually.

JSGME.exe is to enable a certain mod ... if you don't like the mod, just disable it via JSGME and the original files will be back again. That's why it has been made. You cannot screw things up.

But .... some mods are NOT compatible with other mods.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 06:57 PM
i assume just click on it in the left side and then hit the > key which places it into the right side.

Rafael
09-07-09, 07:02 PM
i assume just click on it in the left side and then hit the > key which places it into the right side.

I have uploaded an image, so you see how it works:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af281/datalogica/GWXJSGME.jpg

See the << and >> that's for enabling and disabling a mod.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 07:04 PM
ok - mine looks like your screenshot

m14msgt
09-07-09, 07:07 PM
once the selected mods are on the right side, do i have to click on each one and hit the > key?

Rafael
09-07-09, 07:15 PM
once the selected mods are on the right side, do i have to click on each one and hit the > key?

No, the right side is an activated mod!

On the right side (you can see the text image corner above) it is activated.

Left side are all the mods in your MODS folder.

To disable a mod click in the right screen side on a mod and select <<.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 07:20 PM
right. that's the way it is...yet they do not work? what is up?

Rafael
09-07-09, 07:23 PM
ok - mine looks like your screenshot

Maybe you can make an image of your mods and put it here so I can see it.

I still don't understand why your mods are not working? That's why I wrote the complete path for SH3.

You wrote that the path is OK ... so it is quite mysterious for me that nothing is working?

Try to download a specific mod, enable it (ONLY WHEN IN PORT/DOCK) ... start SH3 and see if it works.

Download this mod and you will immediately see the change. Your crew will have bearded faces.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mziy0gnijnj

m14msgt
09-07-09, 07:26 PM
i don't understand the "enable it (ONLY WHEN IN PORT/DOCK)"? I am enabling these mods when the game is not even running. is not the sub always in port/dock when i begin a new mission?

Rafael
09-07-09, 07:42 PM
i don't understand the "enable it (ONLY WHEN IN PORT/DOCK)"? I am enabling these mods when the game is not even running. is not the sub always in port/dock when i begin a new mission?

Yes correct a sub is always in port/docked when starting a new career.

1. Enable a mod when SH3 is not running.
2. Enable a mod when you are in port.
3. Never enable a mod when starting a saved game. E.g. on patrol.

But how do you know if a mod is not working if you are still in port?

Start a career (just for testing) choose a date and add some crew. Install the bearded faces first and you will see immediately if your crew has bearded faces.

Bedtime for me right now, here in Rotterdam it's almost 2.40 AM.

Try what I have said above. And tomorrow we will see if things are working.

Goodnight for now.

m14msgt
09-07-09, 07:54 PM
thanks very much for all the assistance...sleep well.

Rafael
09-07-09, 08:06 PM
thanks very much for all the assistance...sleep well.

Well during tooth brushing LOL I thought that I know your problem. :)

I will try to explain.

When you extract a mod, sometimes the folder is (as in your case) called DBSM but under this folder there might be a DBSM folder too.

That's incorrect.

It must be DBSM then you must see Data or Sound.

If you don't see it that way, a certain mod will never work!

I hope you understand my meaning.

Always check if the folder is for example Bearded Faces and after Data or Menu ... it depends on the mod.

But never Bearded Faces and again Bearded Faces! That's incorrect.

Goodnight!

m14msgt
09-07-09, 08:32 PM
ok - i deleted every mod I previously downloaded and re-downloaded just the Das Boot Clothes mod. I extracted the download into the MODS folder. I then checked and there is a folder called Das Boot Clothes and a Das_Boot_Clothes.7z now in the MODS folder. When I double-click the Das Boot CLothes folder I get Data folder. When I double-click it, I get Crew folder, and when I double-click it, I get Body folder, and when I twice click it, I get Body01 folder and when I twice click it I get two folders: One is called OFF_TGA and the other folder is POS_TGA. When I twice click these, all sorts of TGA files are inside.

irish1958
09-08-09, 09:01 AM
Name of Mod/data/lots of other files; Example:
Ubisoft/SilentHunterIII/Mods/My wonderful Mod/data/a lot of files.
What you are doing:
Ubisoft/SilentHunterIII/Mods/My Wonderful Mod/My wonderful Mod/data/a lot of files.

Get rid of that file, so the structure is as the first example.
The problem is that when some modelers pack the file, they put in an extra folder, so when you extract it to the mod folder, it is incorrect.
Suggest:
1) Always use 7z to extract your file to the same folder as the compressed file
2)when the file is extracted, open it; The FIRST folder that appears MUST be "data"
3)If it is not, open that folder until you get to "data"
4)the file you want to put into your Mod folder is the one IMMEDIATELY before the data folder (with all of its contents)
5) then activate the mod via JSGME.
If you still have trouble, post back.

Pisces
09-08-09, 10:00 AM
Correction: "4) the folder you want to put into your Mod folder...."

4)the file you want to put into your Mod folder is the one IMMEDIATELY before the data folder (with all of its contents)

Rafael
09-08-09, 11:51 AM
This is the location of SH3:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII

You will see in this folder sh3.exe and JSGME.exe with different kind of files.

Furthermore you will see 4 folders.

1. data
2. documentation
3. Support
4. MODS

If you have a mod like bearded faces it must be in this specific path:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS\Bearded faces

Go to folder Bearded faces and double click.

Inside you will see a folder data and one image called beard.jpg (some modders give an example) furthermore you will see bearded faces.txt a text file concerning bearded faces.

Both files beard.jpg and bearded faces.txt can be deleted because they have nothing to do with this specific mod.

But don't delete the one data folder.

5. Now start JSGME.exe and you will see the Bearded faces on the left side.

6. Enable the Bearded faces by selecting this mod and click on " > " ...

7. The mod Bearded faces will be installed and will show on the right side in JSGME. On the left side (in JSGME) Bearded faces is gone.

Always check if as I wrote before:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS\Bearded faces\Bearded faces That's incorrect.

... must be

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS\Bearded faces

The above is correct, and in Bearded faces folder you will find the data folder.

Start the game and begin a new career in GWX.

When the game starts, you will see that your crew have bearded faces. That's why I wrote the download link for bearded faces. Because this small mod can be see immediately upon starting the game.

Good luck.

irish1958
09-08-09, 12:21 PM
Excellent Example Rafael and crystal clear:up:

Rafael
09-08-09, 12:28 PM

Thanks Irish!

I needed some feedback after yesterday, last night ... I went to bed at 4.15 AM!!!

I hope (I wrote a lot here), that he will understand my explanation(s).

m14msgt
09-08-09, 06:56 PM
thanks fellas - will give this a try and post back w/results.

m14msgt
09-08-09, 07:50 PM
ok - extracted the das boot clothes mod just like you said and made sure there was not a duplicate folder with the same name...only data folder that I placed in my MODS folder under SHIII folder. enabled the mod in the JSGME & started a single player mission game and still no change.

Sailor Steve
09-09-09, 01:37 PM
Wow! This is what happens when I can't get online for three days!

Here is DBSM at Subsim Downloads:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=978

You had the right file all along. When you open it with 7Zip you will indeed see extra folders. I got tired of hearing Hinrich yell "Wasserbomben!" and Lumprecht telling the off-duty guys they got a hit, and then yelling "Quiet!", so the alternate files change those sounds. You have to put them into DBSM before you enable it if you want to make those changes. If not, you can ignore those folders, or remove them.

As for Das Boot Clothes, it works differently for different crew members. Some of them will have the civilian clothes and some won't. The quickest way to test is with the Naval Acadamy 'Navigation' mission.

Rafael
09-09-09, 02:23 PM
Wow! This is what happens when I can't get online for three days!

Don't leave Steve ... (sounds like a song) :rotfl:

I am doing your job and Jim's too!

Did you see what I wrote here (in this topic)... almost a complete book and English is not my language.

Sailor Steve
09-09-09, 03:01 PM
:rotfl:

Problem is I don't have the money to get online at home, so I have to do it at the library. I just started a new job on Monday, and this is the first time I could get here since then.

Rafael
09-09-09, 03:08 PM
:rotfl:

Problem is I don't have the money to get online at home, so I have to do it at the library. I just started a new job on Monday, and this is the first time I could get here since then.

Congratz mate! :yep:

I hope your new job will suit you perfectly. :up:

Laufen zum Ziel
09-10-09, 12:49 PM

Well said.:yeah: