PDA

View Full Version : the easy way to fire and hit with torpedos

SGTMIKE
09-02-09, 12:30 PM
while later I'm sure i want to get more involved in the firing techniques that match the actual WWII subs, right now can anyone explain how to get good consistent torpedo hits with out 15 plus steps. And no I'm not trying to make this a first person shooter game, just trying to still play and not get frustrated any more. thanks all see you under the waves. Sgt Mike

I am referring to in the game - which light to light up or buttons to hit (besides the enter key). Not wanting to use the recognition book and matching the mast height and such.
thanks

Hitman
09-02-09, 12:37 PM
The easiest way to get torpedo hits in terms of calculations, is in fact the most difficult one to execute in the game. But it works simplier than any other:

Get very, very CLOSE to the target and as perpendicular to its course as possible. A shot from 500-700 yards on a target that travels perpendicularly has more chances of hitting than any other. So get so close that the target fills the whole scope at low power zoom, and shoot at it with a moderate lead (5-10 degrees, depending on the estimate of speed you have -which you can roughly tell if it is slow, medium or fast simply by observing how high the bow wake is).

In fact for this method you don't even need the TDC (And in an S-Boat that would be historically correct, as they had none fitted) and it would be a good exercise to learn to estimate distances, angles and speeds in the game, something a real commander practiced a lot and considered essential for his job.

I have readed records of Otto Kretschmer -german ace- firing shots straight from the bow (No input al all to the TDC, just shooting in the same direction the sub is pointing at) at merchants that where closeby, crossing in front of the bow of his U-Boat, and hitting amidships.

Getl close and at a favourable angle (perpendicular), then shoot when the target is 5-10 degrees before your bow, going to cross in front of you.

Good luck :up:

SteamWake
09-02-09, 12:55 PM
Theres always autotarget ;)

There are a plethora of how to guides here on the site on the stickys. Worth your time :rock:

The advice to get close is good advice not only is it easier to get a solution and less margin of error but your targets have less time to react and veer out of the torps path.

Its really annoying espically with DD's to close within 800 yards have a perfect solution loose the fish and BAM they hit flank and dodge.

Ive learned a sort of work around I fire one fish on the 'perfect solution' then fire another or two well ahead anticipating their scoot. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesent but at least it will keep them busy enough for you to plan your evasion.

Armistead
09-02-09, 02:09 PM
The O'Kane attack has as few as steps as possible, check out the Skippers bag of tricks sticky at the top.

No need for range
No ID'ing ships
No use of the Stad.
AOB is one simple step.....

You can't beat it.........

Munchausen
09-02-09, 02:49 PM
For unrealistic game play w/o mods:

Use autotargeting.
Stay clear of destroyers ... as stated above, they react too quickly.
Get in close ... try never to shoot outside 1500 yards/meters.
Open the torpedo doors before beginning the attack.
Lock the target if you don't care how many torps you use ... then use a lot.
Else, use the scope crosshairs to aim your torpedoes.
Select auto-reloading.

Barkhorn1x
09-04-09, 11:32 AM
The O'Kane attack has as few as steps as possible, check out the Skippers bag of tricks sticky at the top.

No need for range
No ID'ing ships
No use of the Stad.
AOB is one simple step.....

You can't beat it.........

Indeed - the O'Kane method is the way to go. And you will feel better for using a historically accurate targeting method to boot.:yeah:

Skubber
09-11-09, 04:39 PM
Shoot the torpedo at the place where the ship is going to be.

Ba-ding! :yeah:

Frederf
09-11-09, 05:21 PM
Ah, you forgot the important part... when the ship is going to be there.
:salute: