PDA

View Full Version : Refuelling

bill clarke
08-30-09, 12:13 AM
This is going to be another in a long list og questions till I get used to this.
I was ordered to patrol the sea of Japan, from Midway ! what am I supposed to do for a refuel ? there no way I'll make it there much less get back without some means to refuel.

Thanks.

donut
08-30-09, 12:45 AM
Read Sticky

Torplexed
08-30-09, 03:18 AM
Stick to standard ahead speed and you'll make it there just fine. It's a three-week voyage but that's the Pacific.

bill clarke
08-30-09, 03:30 AM
Thanks guys :DL

CaptainMattJ.
09-05-09, 07:05 PM
THats Pacific for you. Switch between running underwater and on surface. Use up all batterry life then surface and go under again when charged. until you get near japan and want to sink something

Armistead
09-06-09, 07:36 AM
Using you're battery actually causes you to use more fuel for less range.
Takes engines to charge those big boys. You travel about 50 miles submerged at 1knt, but the gallons you use to recharge, that fuel would've given you over 200 miles on the surface.

seaniam81
09-06-09, 08:32 AM
Using you're battery actually causes you to use more fuel for less range.
Takes engines to charge those big boys. You travel about 50 miles submerged at 1knt, but the gallons you use to recharge, that fuel would've given you over 200 miles on the surface.

Agreed. You want to stay on the surface as long as possable. Me personally I dont submurge until i get a radar contact on my SJ. Infact the only times I'm underwater is to avoid airplanes/HK groups or to make day or the ocassional night submurged attack

SteamWake
09-06-09, 08:49 AM
THats Pacific for you. Switch between running underwater and on surface. Use up all batterry life then surface and go under again when charged. until you get near japan and want to sink something

As said above this will actually increase your fuel usage. Your miles per gallon is basically half of what it normally is when charging the batterys. This can be verified (with some mods) by checking range at speed before and after charging batterys :yep: Save those batterys for what there supposed to be used for, slinking up on unsuspecting convoys :salute:

Cruise on the surface at standard speed diving only when necessary to avoid aircraft and the like. Even then while submerged keep it down to ahead slow and nurse those batterys along. Every 100 miles spent charging batterys could have been 200 miles without ;)

One more note on batterys if they get damaged keep a close eye on the charging system. Your batterys may only take up to say a 95% charge but go no further. Regardless your boat continues to try to charge the batterys wasting fuel it is very easy to not notice this untill your running out of fuel. In this case turn off the battery charging and order standard propulsion.

seaniam81
09-06-09, 11:50 AM
Midway to Japan is easy doable and still get a long patrol. You will usually run out of torps befor fuel. Even Pearl to Japan is doable without a stop.

Armistead
09-06-09, 02:25 PM
Yep, Midway as far as Formosa I use a little over 1/4 tank.

CaptainMattJ.
09-06-09, 06:04 PM
Ok jeez. you made me feel like c**p now be done w/it. I just wanted to be a part of the coversation:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry ::cry:.

SteamWake
09-06-09, 07:12 PM
Ok jeez. you made me feel like c**p now be done w/it. I just wanted to be a part of the coversation:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry ::cry:.

Ah its okay, your still a part of the conversation. :sunny:

You held a common mistaken belief and your friends here are just trying to help you out :yep:

There was one time where I dident have enough diesel to make it back to Midway, ran as far as I possibly could get till fuel was at zero, dived and cruised at 2 knots and made it back and re-fueled. :yeah:

Then there was the old bug prior to I dunno patch 1.2 or something may have even been SH3 where the subs had 'solar battery chargers'. If you surfaced, even without diesel engines running or zero gas the batterys would recharge anyhow.

I 'cheated' more than once to get back that way :haha:

Armistead
09-06-09, 08:18 PM

Here's you a hanky, stand it like a man and give some back. Don't you know....Sub Skippers never cry, not allowed, nada. I promise it won't be the first thing you get wrong if you stay involved.

Don't feel bad, When I first started playing I thought the same thing until someone made me understand it.

As stated, what will get ya is the battery damage. You get it the engines will automatically keep charging. If can ruin a great patrol. Got to keep an eye on the battery charge icon.