PDA

View Full Version : [TMO] Where is everyone?

DigitalAura
08-29-09, 09:00 AM
I've had a great patrol from 1941 to 1942 playing TMO with over 54K Tons sent to the bottom that year. Had it not been for my daring raid on Yokahama port and the sinking of the 34K Ton Kongo BB moored there it would have been slim pickin's. In fact, I noticed rather lean hunting even in Japanese waters, much of my kills were mere fishing trawlers. But after Jan 2, 1942 and up until today (June 24, 1942) I've not seen ONE ship of any sort and only a handful of planes. That's 6 months at sea! I've refueled at Midway and again a few days ago in Fremantle. Either I'm bugged, or their fleet is all focused elsewhere. I miss the convoy reports. I have literally spent the last 3 nights in Time Compression looking for contacts. The only clue from HQ was back in May when the Coral Sea was buzzing with enemies. I was too far away to make it. But still, I'm in the China Sea and the Philippines for cryin' out loud! :x

What gives? I'm gonna need fuel again, and waste another month before I can get back to these hunting grounds...

edit: Oh, and I've completed 4 or 5 patrols in areas assigned by HQ this month... (Abandon, D4, Convoy College [twice]) Wouldn't HQ send me where the juicy bits are if I was close?

Armistead
08-29-09, 09:10 AM
Most that I know never complain about ships with TMO. As far as I know it doesn't deal with stock traffic, where RSRD doe's. I play TMO with RSRD and where I don't run into as many convoys, when I do they're usually big, 30-50 ships.

When I play TMO alone, to me so many convoys were unrealistic.

Stay in the shipping lanes. Learn where the large historical convoys traveled. I constantly chase TF and large convoys rather than doing many patrol zones. Go to where the campaigns are. I stay in the Bismark sea in 42 and 43....always full of ships. The shipping lanes between Tawi Tawi and Jolo are good places..but stay in the deeper water just outside the pass.

And as I stated in the other thread..your PC starts slowing down man the sonar yourself. I've doubled my contact rate this way.

And sometimes you just have those bad patrols.........

DigitalAura
08-29-09, 09:56 AM
yeah, I'm not too sure where the actual shipping lanes are, nor the 'historical' hot spots. :yawn:

seaniam81
08-29-09, 11:05 AM
Click on the button for the radio. It's a big map of the Pacific and shows the convoy routes.

As for hot spots stick around Bismark, South China Sea, And Japan's Home waters. The hunting in the Yellow Sea shouldn't be too bad either.

And in my current campaign. I've only got 3 ships sunk in two patrols, and those are from deck gun action. My torps either run below the ships or are duds. But of course nobody believes me.

Inner Sound
08-29-09, 04:20 PM
seaniam81 : I'm nobody and even I don't believe you. You're crap and the torps are brilliant, faultless, sublime, God's gift to submariners and painted in grooovy colours. It would be Happy Time if only skippers like you would get your fingers out and cross them the magic number of times while invoking the nameless with the unspeakable instead of bitching about the perfect effing fish.

Perfect effing fish.

SteamWake
08-29-09, 04:44 PM
seaniam81 : I'm nobody and even I don't believe you. You're crap and the torps are brilliant, faultless, sublime, God's gift to submariners and painted in grooovy colours. It would be Happy Time if only skippers like you would get your fingers out and cross them the magic number of times while invoking the nameless with the unspeakable instead of bitching about the perfect effing fish.

Perfect effing fish.

The man is officer material :salute: :rotfl:

seaniam81
08-29-09, 11:40 PM

Perfect effing fish.

Sorry Sir, your right the torps are brilliant, and faultless. :salute:
Sir can i have some old mk. 10's?

Inner Sound
08-30-09, 11:37 AM
:salute::salute:to you both. However you're asking the wrong person. It'll be those folk with high post nos. that build the torps. :hmmm:

Those crews must have had brilliant morale not to mutiny - putting themselves in harms way for no reward - I mean everyone on the boat right down to the cook's yeast must have known.

Torplexed
08-30-09, 11:58 AM
Those crews must have had brilliant morale not to mutiny - putting themselves in harms way for no reward - I mean everyone on the boat right down to the cook's yeast must have known.

You have to look at the opposite side of that ratio. US torpedoes may have been lousy fish but we eventually knew it, where as the Japanese deluded themselves into thinking they were geniuses at ASW when they actually stank at it most of the time. By their own records captured after the war they credited themselves with sinking 468 US subs which is over twice as many as were built.

I'm goin' down
08-30-09, 07:35 PM
Where is everyone? They got lost in a terrible storm. When it cleared, they were in FOTRS.:haha::har::D

DigitalAura
08-30-09, 10:20 PM
My torps either run below the ships or are duds. But of course nobody believes me.

EXACT same problem! I've not been able to even use the depth setting on torps (other than zero). :x