PDA

View Full Version : Dead new build?

nikbear
08-25-09, 04:59 PM
Right,have transported all components from my old case to my new case,problem is if I wire it correctly I get nothing,the buttons and the power Led don't work,thinking it might be the switches I replaced the power switch with the reset switch and tried again,now the power led lights up but still nothing else powers up:damn:
I'm at a total loss as to whats wrong,all the connections are fine,Is there something I'm missing?Is there a way to test the psu?
Any help greatly appreciated:cry::wah::oops:

AVGWarhawk
08-26-09, 08:42 AM
Ok, did you use the insulator between the motherboard and the new case wall? Reason I asked because I made that mistake before. I installed the mobo without the insulators between the mobo and the case wall. It would fire up for a second and then just die. It was shorting out basically. I was fortunate I did not blow up my mobo. Anyway, I installed the insulators like I was supposed to and the computer fired up.

Also, as a side note, remove the small quarter sized battery on the mobo for about 10 seconds. Put it back in and see if she fires up then.

nikbear
08-26-09, 09:40 AM
I think I've found out the problem,the on/off button on the case is broke and my PSU appears to be a dud:cry:I'm just so lucky:nope:

nikbear
08-26-09, 09:47 AM
What do the insulators look like:06:

Arclight
08-26-09, 09:59 AM
Spacers or risers, basically. They're there to make sure the metal pins sticking out the back of the motherb. don't touch the metal case, effectively shorting out the board. Thank god for PSU short circuit protection; A lot less PCs blow up nowadays than they used to. :D

AVGWarhawk
08-26-09, 10:01 AM
Were the mobo screws to the case there should be small insulators that go over the securing bolts. This keeps the board off the case so it does not short out.

Go to this link and scroll down to mobo stand off. Small picture in the middle. These are the insulators.

http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/MBoard_Fit.htm

nikbear
08-26-09, 10:47 AM
Ah,had me panicing then:othe mountings on the board are all raised and I just used small silicon washers under the mounting holes,its held in by 6 screws.there are 2 brass risers that can be fitted as well but I've not fitted them yet cause I'm hoping to fit a new chipset cooler,so the board will be coming out again when it arrives:03:

AVGWarhawk
08-26-09, 10:58 AM
Good! Man, I did the switch like you and went to fire it up. Nothing. :-? I found you really need those insulators for the computer to work :har: