PDA

View Full Version : Final Wolfenstein review

SUBMAN1
08-24-09, 10:09 PM
Pros:

It is fun to kill Nazi's with experimental weapons. Need I say more? This is its saving grace in a way.

You can buy upgrades from the black market for your weapons from the gold you find around, though don't expect any fancy gold modeling like you found in RTCW - the objects are all generic.

Semi freedom to pick a mission, but this is limited.

Semi freedom to move where you want in the city, but this is just a long path to get where you need to go, and once you get there, you cannot leave until you complete the reason you got there for.

Cons:

The reason? An example - I am playing on Death Incarnate - the highest level. The problem? With this kind of damage modeling, it doesn't matter if I stick my neck out and lay down on the trigger. All the characters suggest sticking to the sewers or the roof, but why? There is nothing in the street that presents any challenge. Just blow them away, if you get hurt, duck out for a second and continue laying down fire.

The Talisman - its an annoying side show and the game can pretty much be played without using it, and it is recommended that you don't use it because it is boring to say the least. It never works well in the best of times. The only thing it is truly useful for is night vision, and this is almost a cheat in my book.

Sense of dread - As above - The damage modeling kills this game for any sense of dread as found in any other Wolfenstein game. Its a walk in the park at its worst.

Other problems include lackluster story. There is something dreadful about demons and such, but not about other dimensional creatures. id Software knows this and plays on it in every game. Raven - lost in translation. These creatures? Big Whoop. Blow them away and move on. The are not some hell spawn. Just simply ugly pixels to shoot at.

Another problem, incoherent level design. It is a maze to get where you need to go. No building is laid out on Earth like this. No city is either. It's a confusing mess that takes away from the believability of the atmosphere.

As far as finding one way, you need not figure out that either. You have a stupid mans compass that doesn't simply point the direction you should go and let you figure out how to get there, but it physically walks you where you need to go. If you have to take a right turn at some corner, just follow the compass and it will show you even where to walk. Nothing is left to the imagination on how to proceed in how to get from point A to point b. A wrong turn is not even possible. Completely a bad bad bad design that takes even this aspect of fun and exploration out of the equation. Did they think we are 2 year olds playing a mature game that have no idea how to explore?

Last complaints - In addition to the above, id Software knows how to instill a sense of dread about possible things you may encounter in the future. They do this through communications and time limits in certain places (think stopping the missile launch in RTCW as an example, or an Uber Soldat). Not so here. A new thing? Doesn't even scare you. Blow it away and move on. It's not like you are not a walking tank anyway that can heal up in 2 seconds. I want to fight to get to health, not have it be automatic. Strategy is eliminated in this respect and all you need is an itchy trigger finger.

Final verdict - 7 on 10. Its saving grace is point #1 in the Pro's - killing Nazi's with experimental weapons. Worth playing, but pretty much bargain bin pricing. Avoid until its a $19.95 special.

-S

Dowly
08-25-09, 03:40 AM
Thanks. :salute:

Not getting this one. :hmmm:

Ilpalazzo
08-29-09, 03:34 PM
Well you just killed any enthusiasm I had for this game. I should be thanking you for the warning, but I'm too pissed. Here I was expecting a classic shooter, but no. It's just more of the same dumbed down crap we keep getting year after year. As if this game even needed dumbing down. It's just a simple shooter. Why why why with the health regen and magical arrow crap?

ughhhhh.

I want to see somebody make another old style shooter similar to Wolfenstein 3d, Duke Nukem 3d, Doom, etc.

I miss health packs, key cards, end level switches, etc.

Seems nowadays it's all about making some sort of cinematic action movie experience rather than a game. God forbid somebody be able to get lost and die in a video game. That would be a waste of time right? Sorry, I think I might be out of line with these comments. Just frustrated with the genre now.

:(

Dimitrius07
08-29-09, 04:03 PM
Its a console first personal shooter, no need to say more. But its a not bad one, nice effects - especialy bullet time.:03:

Dowly
08-29-09, 04:13 PM
Its a console first personal shooter, no need to say more. But its a not bad one, nice effects - especialy bullet time.:03:

:haha:

And what makes it a console FPS? There hasnt been any difference between PC and console FPS in years. :03:

SUBMAN1
08-29-09, 09:32 PM
How about this. Let me do some work. I'll put one of the more entertaining levels to video. Give me some time. I'll make a new thread to make sure the title stands out.

After you see me kill half the German army by myself, you be the judge.

-S

kiwi_2005
08-29-09, 11:34 PM
Wont even bother getting this game 'nazi shooters' just bore me to death.

Shearwater
09-01-09, 06:45 PM
A couple of days ago I read a review of the game in a magazine. They pretty much agree with you, but give it slightly higher marks. I've always loved the Wolfenstein games (beginning with the very first one), and I'll probably get this one as well.
As for the sense of dread: For me, that's not that much of a drawkback actually. I think they kinda overdid it in Doom 3, and it's good if they have toned it down a little (though they probably overdid it in the wrong direction, if I follow your review).

Would you say it's a good old straightforward shooter? I've been looking for that for a long time.

SUBMAN1
09-01-09, 08:10 PM
Its an average FPS.

And as far as toning down the dread - how about none? There is none. Worrying about how to get your health up made that dread worse in the past, but now there is no problem. I was a little bored going through it on the hardest level possible. No challenge. The only thing that killed me was the end boss (but he is easy if you understand what power to get him with at any given time) and accidentally re-materializing in the middle of solid matter - probably because I was drinking a beer at the moment in time.

As far as the Nazi's getting you? It might have happened once or twice, but I really can't remember where. Besides the end boss getting me a few times, you could probably count how many times I died in the game on one hand. I think I died in the church once, and during some assault on the SS headquarters, but that's all that comes to memory. Maybe once in the Farm level, but I shot a video of it down below and went through it without saving so you can see how hard it is. Not very.

-S

Dowly
09-10-09, 01:56 PM
Yahtzee's take on Wolfenstein. :har::har:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/916-Wolfenstein

Task Force
09-10-09, 02:02 PM

LOL...:har:

Ilpalazzo
09-10-09, 06:06 PM
wow that review was badass

JU_88
09-11-09, 07:11 AM
Kinda gave up on ID after the mindless drivel that was Quake 4,
IMho, ID make good engines, but these days their games are really 'generic' and bland with no atmostphere or character.

The only FPS im looking forward to now is Deus EX 3, Im just hoping Eidos stay true to the orginal -and listen to us bloody fans this time.

While i wait for that i might catch up of some of the HL2 ephisodes..

Dowly
09-11-09, 07:15 AM
The only FPS im looking forward to now is Deus EX 3, Im just hoping Eidos stay true to the orginal -and listen to us bloody fans this time.

Not gonna happen. :nope:

JU_88
09-11-09, 07:29 AM
Not gonna happen. :nope:

yeah i know, Some Devs need to realise that if it aint broke dont fix it.

The first Deux EX formular was just great, everyone says it was great,
and everyone just wants more of the same.
So why f**k with it? for the love of god - just leave it alone!"

Deux Ex is considered one of the BEST pc games ever made (even to this day)
over the last 9 years, what have we got? a watered down - half arsed sequel.
Eidos have really let this franchise go to waste. I almost wish they would sell it to EA. :rotfl:

JU_88
09-11-09, 01:51 PM
Hey Dowly watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Dowly
09-11-09, 02:13 PM
Hey Dowly watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

LMAO!! :haha:

*Ngh ngh ngh ngh ngh*

Goddammit... I think I have to install Deus Ex tonight. :hmmm:

JU_88
09-11-09, 02:15 PM
Not funny but still a very cool panio rendition of the Deux Ex Theme tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQPTejHjtU :DL

jumpy
09-14-09, 10:46 AM

DAMN YOU! I was too late with that lol :O:

JU_88
09-15-09, 01:47 PM
DAMN YOU! I was too late with that lol :O:

LoL @ your sig jumpy. :DL
Though IMHO that statment suits David Cameron abit better than brown.. who is just, well... abit dull and sheepish TBH.
Camerons gonna win next election... I cant stand that knob jockey! :damn:
Cant we have an Obama clone or something?

jumpy
09-15-09, 05:14 PM
hehe, it could be anybody really and my sentiments would be the same, there's no partisanship where my politics are concerned; I'm equally contemptuous of them all :salute: 'expenses'.... huh.
But these last 12 years of zanulabour have been particularly bad, all things considered. Would the tories have followed the same path had they been behind the wheel? Possibly, but I might still have had a job...

must... not... rant... rrrrgggghhhaarrr :arrgh!:

JU_88
09-15-09, 06:25 PM
hehe, it could be anybody really and my sentiments would be the same, there's no partisanship where my politics are concerned; I'm equally contemptuous of them all :salute: 'expenses'.... huh.
But these last 12 years of zanulabour have been particularly bad, all things considered. Would the tories have followed the same path had they been behind the wheel? Possibly, but I might still have had a job...

must... not... rant... rrrrgggghhhaarrr :arrgh!:

I hear ya, and sorry to hear that lost your job, the expenses thing was a slap in the face, but i'd still hold Bankers primarily responsible for the recession - (that said recession is a pretty ineveviatble part of captialsm.)
The government doesnt regulate them properly, but IMHO its still the bankers fault. - they got greedy on an unprecidented scale.