PDA

View Full Version : JSGME a Trojan?

deacon211
08-24-09, 02:33 PM
Hey all,

Recently reloaded a fresh copy of SH4 with various mods. Running a recent computer scan I got a warning that JSGME.exe was the Artemis trojan and McAfee quarantined it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking that this is just McAfee misidentifying JSGME but am afraid I got a corrupted version somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

Deacon

Sledgehammer427
08-24-09, 02:36 PM
McAfee has a horrible tendency to misjudge simple programs that cause no harm, even such, you are better off redownloading it to be on the safe side

Rockin Robbins
08-24-09, 02:42 PM
Hey all,

Recently reloaded a fresh copy of SH4 with various mods. Running a recent computer scan I got a warning that JSGME.exe was the Artemis trojan and McAfee quarantined it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking that this is just McAfee misidentifying JSGME but am afraid I got a corrupted version somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

Deacon
Anti-virus programs of all types are increasingly sensitive and give greater and greater proportions of false alarms. If you know the character of the "bogus" program you need to tell your anti-virus to ignore that program. JSGME is not a trojan of any sort.

One interesting thing: why are you paying for anti-virus protection when free AVG and Avast! are just as good, maybe better? I've used them for ten years with no problems whatever.

So unquarantine JSGME, tell McAfee to get a life and quit bothering you about JSGME and get back to the game!:up:

gimpy117
08-24-09, 02:44 PM
funny...I thought JSGME was a spartan not a trojan...i bet study antiquities more. ;)

FIREWALL
08-24-09, 02:47 PM
Use AVG and Avast also. Never have or had a problem.

Have them installed on 3 laptops and 2 desktops.

With XP Pro sp2 and Vista 64 Ultimate.

AVGWarhawk
08-24-09, 03:20 PM
False Positive. :03:

deacon211
08-24-09, 03:29 PM
LOL! Yeah, that's what I was figuring. My concern was more that someone had hijacked a copy of JSGME and messed with it. Just wanted to see if this had ever come up for anyone else.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Deacon:salute:

Pisces
08-24-09, 03:57 PM
With AVG you can send a suspect file in quarantine up for investigation, and get a verdict within a few days by email. I can't remember if McAfee has the same option but I guess so.

Carotio
08-24-09, 04:37 PM
False alarms happens from both payware and freeware it seems...
Most annoying... :nope:
I use Comodo Internet Security which includes firewall, antivirus and defense plus, and which is free from here:
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I have however disabled their antivirus live protection: I got some false alarms about programs, which had been on my pc before and during Comodo was there, so again most annoying...

So, for the live antivirus protection, I have installed AVG, also freeware:
http://www.avg.com/

The freeware is if not better then at least just as good as the expensive payware from McAfee, Symantec (Norton) etc...:yep:

theluckyone17
08-24-09, 04:55 PM
For what it's worth, I've gotten false positives from AVG and Avast. Nobody's perfect.

Rockin Robbins
08-24-09, 06:42 PM
False alarms come with all modern anti-virus programs, which are looking not just for signatures, but for viral behavior. Lots of legitimate programs do this, so we get some false alarms. It's just that SOME of us get our false alarms for free and some pay for the privilege.:har:

And if you think about it, would you rather have your anti-virus cry wolf once in awhile when there's no wolf, or miss a hungry wolf coming for a nice visit?

jimbob
08-25-09, 05:38 AM
Its all about living in fear.

If you know what you doin and and make/keep backups, fear not.

I've generally stopped using antiviris some time ago since they create more problems than fixes.
I mean false positives and generally slowing down me PC's.

Alltho I got some scanners here if needed, I rarely keep them on guard.

Restoring a backup is faster than scanning everything, what with the size of
hard drives I got.

Melonfish
08-25-09, 07:26 AM
i got the same thing with malwarebytes recently, saw JGSME, sh3commander etc as "rogue installers"
just add em to your Ignore list.

as far as macafee goes, you want to see our exception list in work, hell it things anything is a virus unless its listed in symantec's database so you have to exception any custom software, where it ignores digitally signed stuff.
don't worry about it.

hell doing some internet stuff for some friends and they were asking me about firewalls and stuff to protect their daughter.
they were worried that people will hack their machine and take all their stuff so i pointed out they've got something very good going for them.

they're insignificant.

ok i know that sounds condescending but if you look at it this way, they're one of MILLIONS of internet users who have nothing anybody wants so bad that they can target them directly, they earn an average wage and don't use the internet much and not even for banking so tbh there's no issue.

as for protecting their daughter, safe search options in Google work well and i uninstalled MSN (she's 6) they may consider a net nanny later on but they were being overly paranoid. companies like to sell you these "security" tool through fear, they make it seem like there's a moron round every corner waiting to steal your details.
hell my old man won't use his card on the net, he's adament about not doing so but there's no arguing with him :know:

Morpheus
08-25-09, 09:27 AM
McAfee has a horrible tendency to misjudge simple programs that cause no harm, even such, you are better off redownloading it to be on the safe side

any antivirussoftware is ... crap anyway

thats why i don't use any

Rockin Robbins
08-25-09, 11:41 AM
Morpheus, that post looks so cool in Smart Dark! I'm stealing that technique immediately!

theluckyone17
08-25-09, 07:10 PM
Heh. We Linux users ought to steal that technique. Post everything in black. 'Cause, you know... we're always lurking in the background, always watching, waiting for that perfect opportunity to sit up and say "I use Linux. What malware were you talking about, again?"

Seriously, I consider myself a geek, and I don't bother with security software on Vista, at all. I don't use it for anything but game playing and simulation, so why bother? Besides, if someone stole my identity... well, heck, maybe they'll pay my bills while they're at it :D

Rockin Robbins
08-25-09, 07:46 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/UbuntuSUBSIMScreenshot.png

:D

fireship4
08-26-09, 10:29 AM
Well I've had a good experience with "Avira Anti-Vir". It's free, has a great detection rate and uses very little (lowest known?) resource. Look it up.

Rockin Robbins
08-26-09, 11:22 AM
So there is no excuse whatever to pay even a penny for great anti-virus protection. Say thank you to the Linux open-source culture, which is invading the Windows and Mac world with a vengence! People who will never run Ubuntu or OpenSUSE (or even know what they are!) benefit daily from Linux' existence.

Did I say it right, luckyone? Hehehehe!

theluckyone17
08-26-09, 09:17 PM
Amen. Say it again, brother! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I'm just a big fan of "the right tool for the right job." Use whatever gets the job done in the right manner. The right manner could be related to difficulty of use, efficiency, financial cost, time, whatever.

So for security software... if you feel that shelling $40 a year out to Norton works for you, great. If you like downloading a free security software package like AVG or Avast, fine. If you want to join us fine, intelligent, and charming (not to mention good looking) gentlemen running some distribution of Linux... great! :D