PDA

View Full Version : Captain's Face in the Mirror?

LiveGoat
08-22-09, 06:21 PM
I realize it was just a movie (intro?) but it got me thinking. Since it's gonna be a true FPS kind of interface this time around, are we going to have a an actual body with a face for our avatar that we can see our face in a mirror? If so, then will there be a vanity mode ala Oblivion/Fallout 3 where we can go to third person? And furthermore, is face customization something that's possible.\? I realize these things are probably not in the game and it's too late implement them but it does open up possibilities immersion-wise for these types of games.

Officerpuppy
08-22-09, 10:39 PM
If custimizing weren't an option, id love to see a progression of fatigue in the face.

For instance in your first patrol your clean shaven and full of life, a few months later, you have beard and have that tired look in your eyes.

Task Force
08-22-09, 11:07 PM
I think that was just for looks...:yep:

LiveGoat
08-23-09, 05:52 AM
Your probably right. Anyway, provided they give us the proper features missing from SH3, I'll be pleased as punch with just a full 3d boat and a handfull of soundbites from the crew.

Boris
08-23-09, 07:18 AM
Still, it would be awesome if we could create a captain as our character, in much the same way as it is done with RPGs

JU_88
08-23-09, 07:46 AM
Well, how the captain appears, is the least of my worries with SHV.
personally i think a 3rd person camera would be a nightmare in the confined space of a WW2 submarine.

LiveGoat
08-23-09, 08:04 AM
I agree but I would at the very least like to see my captain (me) on the bridge when I go into free camera mode.

Kapitan_Phillips
08-23-09, 01:01 PM
Still, it would be awesome if we could create a captain as our character, in much the same way as it is done with RPGs

True. You could incorporate a few stats too, such as coolness under pressure, presence, charisma - and these could develop as you go along in your career. Perhaps if your "Coolness Under Pressure" stat was low, under a prolonged depth charge attack, the orders could be delayed, or the camera could become distorted as your Captain started to panic.

The same with Charisma and Presence. High ratings in these mean you can keep better control over your crew when under attack or in tense situations.

Jimbuna
08-23-09, 01:06 PM
Hey KP/Lurch!....how the hell would you fit into the tight confines of a sub anyway? :DL

Kapitan_Phillips
08-23-09, 01:08 PM
Hey KP/Lurch!....how the hell would you fit into the tight confines of a sub anyway? :DL

I could ask you the same thing, PC Plod :shucks:

Jimbuna
08-23-09, 02:32 PM
I could ask you the same thing, PC Plod :shucks:

Well I'd go down the hatch.....without banging my head on the overheads :DL

tater
08-23-09, 02:43 PM
He was looking at the mirror at an angle. How was it he was in the mirror?

Kapitan_Phillips
08-23-09, 02:56 PM
Well I'd go down the hatch.....with butter and a shoehorn

Fixed ;);)

Jimbuna
08-23-09, 03:10 PM
Fixed ;);)

Oooooh

http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/men6.gif

Alex
08-23-09, 03:13 PM
ROFLMAO ! :har: :har: :har: :har:

You guys are :haha: :yeah:

Sub Commander
08-25-09, 05:13 AM
That the crew salute u is easy to put in the game,when u look at them they just nod, but that the cook interacts with u, how could u give him an answer, with the page up-down keys? Hmmm i dont know how this is gonna work,,,

SteamWake
08-25-09, 10:52 AM
I always get a kick out of the pepole whom spend hour after hour getting their charecters appearance 'just right' for an RPG then spen the rest of thier 'life' looking at there stern as they run across the landscape :rotfl:

Not saying there wont be a mirror in the game but Im pretty sure that was just a movie hook reminiscant of the scene in Das Boot where the captain strokes his chin... actually he does that a few times.

Jimbuna
08-25-09, 01:52 PM
I'd be getting a little worried if the image started winking at me :o

Sailor Steve
08-26-09, 12:00 PM
That the crew salute u is easy to put in the game,when u look at them they just nod, but that the cook interacts with u, how could u give him an answer, with the page up-down keys? Hmmm i dont know how this is gonna work,,,
Standard procedure in most navies is that, because of the confines of a ship, officers are saluted only while in port, and only when outdoors. The army is different, and salutes are given most of the time except when in combat. The crew would never salute you while at sea.

Jimbuna
08-26-09, 04:44 PM
Churchill was the master of 'the salute'

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7328/churchillpj8az3.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JGyMlGQKTSM/SdpVQg8RNzI/AAAAAAAAAUI/cOlRcBF46Tg/s320/winnie.jpg

LiveGoat
08-26-09, 09:00 PM
One of the great photoshop masterpieces. :DL

It ranks up there with "In-a-gadda-da-Oswald".

Churchill was the master of 'the salute'

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7328/churchillpj8az3.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JGyMlGQKTSM/SdpVQg8RNzI/AAAAAAAAAUI/cOlRcBF46Tg/s320/winnie.jpg

Sub Commander
09-01-09, 01:34 PM
Standard procedure in most navies is that, because of the confines of a ship, officers are saluted only while in port, and only when outdoors. The army is different, and salutes are given most of the time except when in combat. The crew would never salute you while at sea.

I mean it is a though job to let the sailors interact with u ingame,

Webster
09-02-09, 01:42 PM
do you really want a crew that hasnt bathed in a long time to be raising their armpits? :O:

BootsmanBoof
09-05-09, 03:56 AM
For instance in your first patrol your clean shaven and full of life, a few months later, you have beard and have that tired look in your eyes.

I showed my young son the actual trailer vid for SH5 today, and actually said something similar "Wouldn't it be cool if they grew beards as time progressed, and you could come back into port after a long patrol with all your crew having great beards?''

karamazovnew
09-05-09, 10:18 AM
I showed my young son the actual trailer vid for SH5 today, and actually said something similar "Wouldn't it be cool if they grew beards as time progressed, and you could come back into port after a long patrol with all your crew having great beards?''

Only great men have great beards:arrgh!: So maybe beards are dependent on rank and, especially, the experience aquired during the patrol. So you'd give a medals to whoever has the greatest beard. :har:. And you'd leave ashore anyone who grew a grey beard :rotfl:

andycaccia
09-19-09, 07:53 AM
Of course I'd like to create my alter ego like in RPGs...