PDA

View Full Version : Devs, please include StarForce

redcoat22
08-20-09, 10:20 AM
*runs for cover

Dowly
08-20-09, 10:22 AM
Sooo, what was the reason for this post?

Do you really want SF? If so, for what reason?

Or was this post an attempt to be funny?

Sailor Steve
08-20-09, 10:22 AM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Now, where did I leave those rotten tomatoes?

JU_88
08-20-09, 10:39 AM
T r o l l

SteamWake
08-20-09, 10:40 AM
Sooo, what was the reason for this post?

Do you really want SF? If so, for what reason?

Or was this post an attempt to be funny?

He is just trying to start a fire. A popular passtime on other forums. I expect to see a lot of this in the near future

AVGWarhawk
08-20-09, 10:41 AM
Someone has a lot of time on their hands.

Boris
08-20-09, 10:42 AM
I agree, starforce is an excellent protection system, that helps stop piracy.

I have had no problems whatsoever with starforce on my system.

Maybe if more shipping companies put starforce protection on their ships there wouldn't be so much piracy in the waters of Somalia. :arrgh!:

Kloef
08-20-09, 11:24 AM
and there we go again.......:hmmm:

redcoat22
08-20-09, 12:12 PM
Wow.. you lads are a serious bunch.. I thought the sarcasm of bringing up a notoriously hated and publically refuted anti-piracy software was a little funny. I understand why the guy from Finnland freaked out.. but the rest of you anglo-saxons surprised me. The news of SH V is exciting news.. enjoy life.

A 'troll' would be someone who actually liked starforce and tried to work everyone up.. sadly, not even the guys that own and designed starforce liked it.

Someone please delete this thread before we run out of Prozac.

docnobby
08-20-09, 12:16 PM
I must admitt, thet I'm a bit surprised by the reactions too.

I thought the first post was quite funny. :D

Boris
08-20-09, 12:16 PM
I thought it was funny

Sailor Steve
08-20-09, 01:13 PM
Wow.. you lads are a serious bunch.. I thought the sarcasm of bringing up a notoriously hated and publically refuted anti-piracy software was a little funny.
Don't include me in that group. I got the joke and tried to be just as funny. May have failed, but that's just me.:dead:

Task Force
08-20-09, 01:39 PM
lol, I got the joke... welcome to ss.

LiveGoat
08-20-09, 01:47 PM
They should include a copy protection procedure where everytime you start the game you have to go online to Ubi's website and recieve the new enigma codes for that day and enter them into a little 4 wheel machine java thingy in the launch menu.

Carotio
08-20-09, 02:33 PM
*runs for cover

you have no force like me, I'm lord Vader your new master among the stars...
http://www.silenthuntermods.com/forum/Smileys/extended/vader.gif

docnobby
08-20-09, 02:46 PM
They should include a copy protection procedure where everytime you start the game you have to go online to Ubi's website and recieve the new enigma codes for that day and enter them into a little 4 wheel machine java thingy in the launch menu.

Love it!

Sounds a bit like the old "code book" "copy protections" that were used with Monkey Island, Test Drive 3D and Railroad Tycoon! :arrgh!:

Lt commander lare
08-20-09, 02:46 PM
star force is a menace to all us submariners this should be banned from being mentioned in these forums we do not want starforce in sh5 thats why we cant use sh3 on vista because starforce and vista have issues just realease the game like all other pc games being released NO Starforce

lt commander lare

JU_88
08-20-09, 02:47 PM
This has 5 stars.... why? :timeout:

Task Force
08-20-09, 02:50 PM
cause someone voted it 5 stars... If only one person votes for 5 stars, then it shall have 5 stars..

Hunter
08-20-09, 02:51 PM
*runs for cover

Someone, please, kill that troll :gulp:

Brag
08-20-09, 03:02 PM
A simple Aaaaarrrggghhh from my side bill be understood by the rest of humanity. :sunny:

V.C. Sniper
08-20-09, 03:22 PM
Tme to hijack this thread.

It would be uber awesome if SH5 had PhysX support for fluid simulation.

FIREWALL
08-20-09, 03:28 PM
Tme to hijack this thread.

It would be uber awesome if SH5 had PhysX support for fluid simulation.

You've got to many Tubbys here that didn't understand Phys-ED :har:....

To grasp PhysX. :06: :haha:

YukonJack_AK
08-20-09, 04:20 PM
You know the sad part is that crappy SF didn't even work... People were able to get around it far to easily (and it made legit users machines not work at all). But then again look at Rockstar Ent and GTA4 - they spent $250,000 just developing anti-piracy software for GTA4 and it was cracked within 24 hours. So this kind of anti-piracy software is useless... the best thing Ubi could do is exactly what they did with SH4... make a bug so that when the game recognizes it's been run via a cracked exe file, then something in the game doesn't work right. I'll bet you guys didn't realize that SH4 is on the bottom of "most frequently pirated" software lists... :hmmm:

tiger shark
08-20-09, 04:52 PM
I dont want star force,i am glad that I dont have to put my
disc in the computer every time I want to play.I paid for my copy of SH4 and I think that people who really like SH
will buy it no matter if there is a pirated copy of a game.
We should buy it if we want to see new SH in the future.And also you get a cd key for MP and the manual(not very important but still):D Maybe the best soultion is
to remove star force later, like they did with sh4.It is critical to protect the product in first months of sale,but after that
the protection will be removed by hackers one way or another.It doesnt matter if there is or there isnt protection,fair people who love SH will pay for it!

Myxale
08-20-09, 06:20 PM
My old Jedi-Master keeps sayin' : "Starforce is not your ally!:nope: "

Frederf
08-20-09, 08:27 PM
As bad as starforce used to be (and it was awful), I think they've changed their scheme a lot since then and starforce isn't the awful creature it once was.

Arclight
08-20-09, 11:20 PM
It isn't, but the bad rep stuck. Better to avoid it. :yep:

I say online activation on install, with the option to acquire activation code via e-mail, snail mail or phone for people who don't have internet.

Please, no limited install stuff. I don't want to contact customer support to unlock my game because I had to reïnstall Win at some point. :nope:

Kloef
08-21-09, 05:35 AM
My answer was based on the knowlegde that some people will take this tread seriously,and they did,thereby starting the discussion and failing to get the joke and eventually the tread will be closed,stand-off between the fanboys/girls and the pirates,people in the brig or worse...

guess i was just panicking:rotfl:

Ah,i been a moderator for too long on other forums,its like post traumatic topic disorder or something...:wah:

Dowly
08-21-09, 05:39 AM
I say online activation on install, with the option to acquire activation code via e-mail, snail mail or phone for people who don't have internet.

Most applications use this and it doesnt work against piracy.

I say, spend the money to something else. A normal CD check is all they should invest money to. Every known, commonly used CP is cracked, so what's the point of having one?

Lt. Staumeier
08-21-09, 05:51 AM
Starforce is probably the worst thing invented since democracy...

ETR3(SS)
08-21-09, 08:46 AM
Starforce is probably the worst thing invented since democracy... umm...wow. somebody a little partial to their constitutional monarchy?

AVGWarhawk
08-21-09, 08:50 AM
Starforce is probably the worst thing invented since democracy...

Yes Comrade:salute:

Arclight
08-21-09, 03:27 PM
Most applications use this and it doesnt work against piracy.

I say, spend the money to something else. A normal CD check is all they should invest money to. Every known, commonly used CP is cracked, so what's the point of having one?
I agree, but the thing is: DRM isn't going anywhere. All we can do is whine to keep it reasonable. ;)

Dowly
08-21-09, 03:33 PM
I agree, but the thing is: DRM isn't going anywhere. All we can do is whine to keep it reasonable. ;)

True that. Which is exactly what I dont understand, why they keep putting DRM's to the games when they know that they dont work? Do they really think that it would lessen piracy because not everyone would have the know-how to bypass the DRMs and so there'd be only the big scene groups releasing cracked versions? I do hope they are wiser than that or in the future we will have someone standing next to us, watching and making sure we use a legit copy.

Shearwater
08-21-09, 04:08 PM
If someone comes up with a no CD "patch" (rofl), I don't care about Starforce. I bought SH3 at its release. As it wouldn't run without a crack, I had no moral qualms whatsoever to circumvent the copy protection. If that's the only way I can play my legitimately owned and dearly paid for copy, so be it.
And welcome aboard :DL

Arclight
08-21-09, 04:42 PM
True that. Which is exactly what I dont understand, why they keep putting DRM's to the games when they know that they dont work? Do they really think that it would lessen piracy because not everyone would have the know-how to bypass the DRMs and so there'd be only the big scene groups releasing cracked versions? I do hope they are wiser than that or in the future we will have someone standing next to us, watching and making sure we use a legit copy.
A thing to note is that Copy Protection evolved into Digital Rights Management: At first CP was only to prevent illegal copies from being made. Nowadays DRM also is still intended to prevent day 1 illegal copies, but it seems to be more targeted at preventing 2nd-hand sales; think of Steam, where this is completely impossible since the game is tied to your account, and the limited number of installs/activations with many systems that tie a game to your hardware config.

Also, piracy is a hassle, since it requires more effort to get a game working and you're always lagging behind on updates, waiting for an updated crack to be released. I think they're simply trying to maintain that situation to persuade at least some people to avoid the hassle by obtaining a legal copy.

Some interesting reading: http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_091a.html

DRM doesn’t stop piracy

I saved this one for last, as it’s the final refuge of the anti-DRM True Believer. It’s true! DRM measures don’t stop piracy; DRM measures are meant to hinder piracy. The bulk of sales for any entertainment software are in the first few months of release, and that’s what developers are trying to protect. It doesn’t always work, but they’d be foolish not to try. Often the “day of release” cracks don’t offer all the features of a sim, unlock Easter eggs (like the bird with the message in ARMA) or are useless for online play.

Other side of the story. Though I can't say I really agree with it, it's reasonable enough: http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_091a.html

Dowly
08-21-09, 04:48 PM
Steam has been cracked ages ago. :yep:

As for the updates, you're right there. Only popular games get the attention in piraqcy when it comes to updates.

Didnt read your linked thingies yet, abit tipsy so I dont have the attention span for it right now. :doh:

Arclight
08-21-09, 05:05 PM
I won't force you, I think you have a reasonable stance on this anyway; Most people don't bother asking for an explanation but just bash it.

Thing about Steam is you can't sell a game if you get tired of it, something you can do with a boxed game (as long as the DRM isn't overly restrictive). Apart from hindering piracy, that's what DRM is all about.

Dowly
08-21-09, 06:11 PM
Apart from hindering piracy, that's what DRM is all about.

True true. :yep:

Admiral Von Gerlach
08-21-09, 06:47 PM
I think there should be a working Enigma machine on every sub and we have to operate it each day we use the sim or it will crashdive our sub to crush depth :)

karamazovnew
08-21-09, 09:52 PM
So far the only game I haven't seen cracked is Rise Of Flight. Because it requires an online account. But really now, the best copy protection is made up of the following:
- nice looking box
- HUGE printed manuals (recognition manuals, tactics, whatever)
- some gimmick, like a medal or clasp (or an attack disk :o)
- and NO software copy protection, not even a simple cd-check
My favourite boxes of all times are my Flight Unlimited and Falcon 4 boxes. F22 air dominance fighter had a superb 194 color pages airplane encyclopedia. Oblivion had that simple metal coin. The list goes on.
I'm waiting for Fallout 3 Survival Edition comming later this year to get my second Bobblehead and metal box. That's how simple it is. The ammount of "pirates" that will like the game and feel BAD about not buying such a "fragile" software which was based on trust and hard goodies will be greater that what copy-protection can convince :yeah:.

Arclight
08-21-09, 11:27 PM
That's exactly what I read in an article a while back. Nintendo put some extra's in the box with their DS games, something like a figurine. Had a profound effect on piracy. :yep:

Throwing in some unique content is the best way to counter piracy. I mean, look at Modern Warfare 2 and OFP: Dragon Rising: Nightvision goggles? A helmet? Pretty sure those guys have the same idea. :)

Ivan Putski
08-22-09, 12:16 AM
The one thing that bothered me about RoF was having to be online to connect even for single player. Well the group I fly with, 312 members in 4 states, must have felt the same way. We took a vote, and they decided not to purchase RoF, to wait for SoW to come out instead.

I got my copy as a gift, so out of 312 members, 311 sales were lost because of RoF`s DRM. I have since put my copy on the shelf, as thunderstorms here have messed with my internet connection all last week, and I was unable to play when I wanted to. A lot of people only have a limited ammount of time for sims, and this type of DRM will turn even the most hardcore simmer off.

There`s nothing stopping them from going that route, and selling each type of U-Boat, and other shipping, or addons for a price, but I think they will lose a large fanbase if they do market it in that fashion.

FIREWALL
08-22-09, 12:22 AM
The one thing that bothered me about RoF was having to be online to connect even for single player. Well the group I fly with, 312 members in 4 states, must have felt the same way. We took a vote, and they decided not to purchase RoF, to wait for SoW to come out instead.

I got my copy as a gift, so out of 312 members, 311 sales were lost because of RoF`s DRM. I have since put my copy on the shelf, as thunderstorms here have messed with my internet connection all last week, and I was unable to play when I wanted to. A lot of people only have a limited ammount of time for sims, and this type of DRM will turn even the most hardcore simmer off.

There`s nothing stopping them from going that route, and selling each type of U-Boat, and other shipping, or addons for a price, but I think they will lose a large fanbase if they do market it in that fashion.

Their sales figures for the Silent Hunter franchise says different. :hmmm:

btw I'm all for the goodies and better manuals and such. :woot:

Ivan Putski
08-22-09, 12:42 PM
I would also like to see better manuals, and other goodies, but would`nt want Ubi (Rom) to use RoF`s type DRM for copy protection. I want to play the sim when I want to, not be captive to the weather, or a connection on their end or mine. If there`s to be pay addons, such as subs from different nations fine, I don`t have a problem with that.

XLjedi
08-22-09, 01:37 PM
Indeed, I have just too many functional optical drives right now. I need to kill off a few of them.

Help me Starforce you're my only hope!