PDA

View Full Version : Metric, Imperial or Authentic?

DikiDino
08-19-09, 11:28 PM
As i'm still quite new to SH4, i'm pretty confused on all the conversion.

On the TDC, the distance is show as in?
On the chart map, those measuring tools is based on?

And on my Torpedo spec, it shows in yrds. My Deck gun range is shown in yrds.

My sonar man report me the distance is based on?

Like i do a ping i get range 11140. This number i assume is based on meter?

What is the setting that i should use or mods that will make all readings in a standard form.

Meaning, if using metric... everything in-game will be using metric.

Frederf
08-20-09, 12:34 AM
It should be labeled "metric, imperial, automatic" instead of authentic. The authentic setting just simply picks imperial for the US subs and metric for the German subs.

I would suggest playing on metric for U-boats and imperial for fleet boats, in other words "authentic" and forget it. I'm pretty sure the numerical readout from the sonar range is always in the correct meters or yards but the dial itself is only for meters.

magic452
08-20-09, 12:58 AM
If you are playing with Imperial all measurements are in yards and nautical miles, in the game 2,000 yds = 1NM. Nav map tools will read in yards to 10,000 or 5 NM's

All ranges to target are in yards. Your example 11140 is 11,140 yards.

Keel and torpedo running depth are in feet.

If playing Metric than all measurements will be in meters instead of yards and feet. Don't play Metric so I don't Know how many meters in a nautical mile.

Magic

Edit and as Frederf said, he is a faster typist than I am.

DikiDino
08-20-09, 02:03 AM
Thanks for all the advise. Because i'm fairly poor in mathematic. So all these conversion really get over my head.

Now that helps with my approach trying to learn manual targeting. :D

Rockin Robbins
08-20-09, 08:40 AM
It should be labeled "metric, imperial, automatic" instead of authentic. The authentic setting just simply picks imperial for the US subs and metric for the German subs.

I would suggest playing on metric for U-boats and imperial for fleet boats, in other words "authentic" and forget it. I'm pretty sure the numerical readout from the sonar range is always in the correct meters or yards but the dial itself is only for meters.

Arrrrrrr!:up: Another vote for authentic/automatic.

DigitalAura
08-20-09, 10:05 AM
Being Canadian, I chose 'metric' but then I noticed once the game started that the crew called out measurements in metres but the speeds were still nautical miles. Why didn't that get converted too? Kind hard to play in metric if one of the references is still 'imperial'.

Sailor Steve
08-20-09, 10:51 AM
Even in modern navies (and aviation, for that matter) speed is still measured in knots. That's just the way it is: neither metric nor imperial, but nautical. Originally in the US a nautical mile was considered to be 2000 yards, or 6000 feet. The International Hydrographic Convention of 1929 set the nautical mile at exactly 1852 metres, or 6076.1155 feet. The US didn't adopt that standard until after WW2.

Rockin Robbins
08-20-09, 01:50 PM
Even in WWII, the nautical mile wasn't exactly 2000 yards. They used 2000 yards to the mile for estimating and for easy calculation. The error was much less significant than errors in measurement, so calculations worked fine in practice. There's an exhaustive discussion of that in Edward Beach's Run Silent Run Deep Trilogy.

rifleman13
08-21-09, 10:00 AM
I'd go imperial units for fleet boats and metric units for u-boats... :03: