PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Multi crewed u-boats?

oscar19681
08-18-09, 06:01 PM
How about allowing the players to crew postions on the same boat in multiplayer? I mean not 50 players on the same boat but about 10 positions with the most importent tasks.

Sonarman
08-18-09, 06:33 PM
If you believe IGN the current multiplayer plan for the number of players is:
Local Play: 8 Versus / 8 Co-Op
Online Play: 4 Versus / 4 Co-Op

Sonarman
08-18-09, 08:22 PM
Sound's great, but I wouldn't want to be part of the deck gun crew and have to just sit in my bunk all the time when underwater.

mapuc
08-18-09, 09:03 PM
It could indeed be really fun playing like that

BUT...what about those interuptions

You are the captain and give the order to fire the torp. but the torp.office has left the game.

So you give the helm order to turn right full rudder....but helm has left the game.

Markus

tater
08-18-09, 09:17 PM
Been suggested in detail before (by me, anyway, probably others).

Allow people to join online in mid game. Players can switch between useful positions—plotting, sonar, radar, deck gun/aa on surface, etc.

Frederf
08-18-09, 09:53 PM
Why have dedicated positions for multi-user subs? If you're playing a coop submarine game presumably you're intelligent and communicative enough to be spotter/plotter, sonar/radar, or whatever combination you need at any given moment.

Stormfly
08-19-09, 04:20 AM
Why have dedicated positions for multi-user subs? If you're playing a coop submarine game presumably you're intelligent and communicative enough to be spotter/plotter, sonar/radar, or whatever combination you need at any given moment.

just move to that battlestation, if a player disconnect while in that position, ai will fill the gap. New connected players could wake up in crew compartments, stand up, move to that station and interact with ai to enter that position again.

karamazovnew
08-19-09, 05:52 AM
It's not a bad idea at all, but coop multiplayer on the same boat in either SH3 or 4 would be pathetic :har:. It would work in SH5 but only if they manage to make a very realistic crew and a very realistic interface (meaning NO 2D interface at all, no jumping between stations). And the max number of players would be 4:
- periscope dude (spotter on surface/gunner)
- sonar/radar dude
- TDC dude for torpedo solution (gunner)
- chief engineer for maneuvering

Ubi could make it as a patch or a small expansion. To play a career with 3 disciplined budies would be preety cool :hmmm:.

Nexus7
08-19-09, 06:12 AM
This feature is fully implemented in Dangerous Waters... 4 possibilities
- ship control
- sensors
- TMA (Tracking Motion Analysis)
- Fire Control

I had some games this way, and it was VERY fun. Discipline is important because it is vital that ALL stations work together.

For example if you need to evade, there will be maneuvering by the person at ship control. The person at ship control will decide the precise moment to fire the countermeasures (communication to the fire control guy) and the fire control guy has to react immediately (seconds difference = BOOM).
The guy at the TMA station will certainly be under some stress as he needs to update the inbound position as good and as fast as possible to increase the chance of success of the evasive maneuver.
At the same time the guy at the sonar station needs to keep an eye on possible new contacts (inclusive new fishes) and to not let stuff get into the baffles if not desired.
It's not over... you usually want to counterengage in such a situation, to keep your opponent as busy as possible and decrease the quality of his tactical control. That again means that the guy at TMA must provide an usable fire solution and that the sonar man doesn't lose the tracker.

I assure you it is a lot of work to do for a single person. Multistation increases the ship's efficiency if done properly... but that's DW