PDA

View Full Version : Realism

Brag
08-18-09, 01:10 PM
As to be expected and from the little bit shown in the announcement trailer, the graphics in SH 5 will be improved. I imagine gameplay will also be more realistic.

However the true realism comes from us as individuals and the Subsim community. Our individual sense of realism comes from what is at stake. Most of us invent or borrow a name and send this imaginary skipper off to fight a war. The further we go into this career, the more we have invested into this guy. If we play DID, the loss of this character is a serious setback.

By sharing information with other forum members, we also enjoy their comradeship, share in their success, grieve their losses, have forum parties.
This all adds to the feeling of reality.

With SH 5 in the far horizon, we know war is coming. Knowing this, perhaps it is time to invent a character, develop it so that when SH 5 explodes in your face you will have a Kaleun, who you really care for.
This will greatly improve your perceived realism of the game.

Spike88
08-18-09, 01:32 PM
This is an interesting idea, I'll write one up and post it.

I have a question though.
Were Fähnrich zur See's the lowest officer rank? And would they have to work there way up from the NCO and Seaman, or would they just go to Officer school?

Brag
08-18-09, 01:40 PM
They went to officer's school. To be admited, the had to pass a written and oral exam. While going through the selection process, they were observed through a one way mirror while eating and were served food difficult to handle, like peas and chicken--so table manners were important :haha:

Sledgehammer427
08-20-09, 01:04 AM
like Rickover!
he once took a candidate for commanding officer of a nuclear submarine to lunch.
the candidate put salt and butter on the corn he ordered before tasting it.
Rickover then said "sorry, you're out."
Incredulously, the candidate said "why?!"
Rickover then responded, "you corrected the situation before assessing it, I cannot have a man like that commanding one of my boats." He then stood up and left.

Uber Gruber
08-21-09, 08:53 AM
like Rickover!
he once took a candidate for commanding officer of a nuclear submarine to lunch.
the candidate put salt and butter on the corn he ordered before tasting it.
Rickover then said "sorry, you're out."
Incredulously, the candidate said "why?!"
Rickover then responded, "you corrected the situation before assessing it, I cannot have a man like that commanding one of my boats." He then stood up and left.

That would go a long way in explaining what's wrong with the US military these days.

Sailor Steve
08-21-09, 11:04 AM
They went to officer's school. To be admited, the had to pass a written and oral exam. While going through the selection process, they were observed through a one way mirror while eating and were served food difficult to handle, like peas and chicken--so table manners were important :haha:
Absolute realism! You must pass all the tests before you can even play the game. If you fail, it makes you become just another sailor, and all you can do is follow orders!

Or else it just kicks you out until you can pass!:rotfl: