PDA

View Full Version : food limitations

oscar19681
08-18-09, 10:52 AM
Why not have a food/water limitation in sh-5? I mean my sub can run out of fuel if i dont watch out but why not have a food and water limitation as well this time? I mean this would just ad to the realism and was missing in sh-3 and 4 imho. And maybe this can be incorperated into the loadout menu when your boat is still in port.

u-168
08-18-09, 10:54 AM
Thats a cool idea get your meat and i will get the veg LOL and that would be a good mod nice m8 never thought of that n1:DL:DL

U-168

Webster
08-18-09, 12:02 PM
so what are you supposed to do when you run out but still have fuel?

surface and send raiding party to board a ship before you finish sinking it and raid its food stores? :hmmm: hmm... interesting

Frederf
08-18-09, 12:28 PM
Day 23, fresh meat ran out. Crew morale from med-high to med-low. Fatigue rate up 10%.

oscar19681
08-18-09, 12:38 PM
Well it could be done i a same way as with fuel. But insted of asking the navigator the range at current speed you could ask the cook how many days at current food supply.

Letum
08-18-09, 12:39 PM
Day 23, fresh meat ran out. Crew morale from med-high to med-low. Fatigue rate up 10%.

Haha!
I do hope it's not SH3 meets The Sims, but a little more fleash on the bones
than 'Fatigue rate up 10%' would be nice.

Chad
08-18-09, 12:40 PM
Something along the lines of how Pirates of the Caribbean did it..

Full food rationing of course depletes your food at a faster rate, but if you half-portion it, your morale will drop but you can stay longer at sea.

When your fully out, crew drops to zero and watch out for a mutiny :O:

oscar19681
08-18-09, 12:44 PM
Better give us a luger for the kaluen in sh-5 as well then!

Letum
08-18-09, 12:45 PM
I have an intense dislike of moral bars or fatigue percentages.
It's such a false, artificial way of doing it. I would much rather have crew
members that look tired when they are tired or look happy/sad depending on
their morale. Perhaps even talk about diffrent things according to their mood.

Anything but the 'Fatigue rate up 10%' approach that SHIV and SHIII have.

oscar19681
08-18-09, 12:48 PM
But having crew look sad or tired isnt that realistic either. Not everybody with low morale would show it in real life right? And should the captain go and check the torpedo room himself and look everybody in the face to see how morale is?

Letum
08-18-09, 12:52 PM
Quite so; it would have to be subtle and ambiguous; as are real people.

I very much doubt current game design is anywhere near up to the task of
simulating such things well yet.

Spike88
08-18-09, 01:00 PM
Quite so; it would have to be subtle and ambiguous; as are real people.

I very much doubt current game design is anywhere near up to the task of
simulating such things well yet.

Would be interesting. Especially if you could choose to turn on/off a bar showing moral. You could have your crew screw up in the middle of something, because you were not paying attention to the little signs that the crew gave, to show they were stressed.

Same thing with the food, you could have a bar that shows the exact food left, or you could have it rounded by your cook.

Edit: Another neat feature would be different levels for the cook, just like the rest of the crew.

If you have a poor cook, your food will go by faster, you'll get false reports on how much longer it'll last, it'll do less for your crew, and there's the chance someone will get food poisoning.

A higher level cook would give you the exact number of days worth of food you have, and he can make the food last longer, without negatively affecting the crew.

Blood_splat
08-18-09, 01:06 PM
Day 35, cannibalism ensues.

ryoga_77
08-18-09, 02:13 PM
A crew whose look changes from a 'polished' look before heading out to sea to an 'unkept scruffy' look when heading in would add tons to realism in the case of a long patrol

Frederf
08-18-09, 04:02 PM
Haha!

I have an intense dislike of moral bars or fatigue percentages.
It's such a false, artificial way of doing it. I would much rather have crew
members that look tired when they are tired or look happy/sad depending on
their morale. Perhaps even talk about diffrent things according to their mood.

Anything but the 'Fatigue rate up 10%' approach that SHIV and SHIII have.

I meant that the game mechanics would change. Obviously the feedback given to the player wouldn't be so dry. And there's nothing artificial about making the crew performance drop as their nourishment does. What's in the sense in that the look tired but perform all their duties exactly the same as not?

SgtPotato
08-18-09, 04:15 PM
Food? Pfft.. I want the rum. :arrgh!:

Akula4745
08-18-09, 04:51 PM
Why not have a food/water limitation in sh-5? I mean my sub can run out of fuel if i dont watch out but why not have a food and water limitation as well this time? I mean this would just ad to the realism and was missing in sh-3 and 4 imho. And maybe this can be incorperated into the loadout menu when your boat is still in port.

Interesting idea... but it would mean a LOT more involvement with the daily crew activities... no more racing around at 512x and ignoring the crew! Maybe there should be a mutiny level where lack of food makes the crew freak out...

Frederf
08-18-09, 10:00 PM
Not necessarily, could be just as simple as the SH3/SH4 diesel oil reserves. Fuel in SH3/SH4 wasn't much management at all.

Egan
08-19-09, 01:35 PM
Actually, I think monitoring supplies and their impact of morale and other functions would be a great addition. it's one of a number of changes to the game I've thought about over the years. I'm all for it.

Highbury
08-19-09, 02:03 PM
Food? Pfft.. I want the rum. :arrgh!:

They may listen to Tipperary but it isn't the Royal Navy :03:

Stealth Hunter
08-19-09, 07:43 PM
Haha!

I wouldn't mind that actually lol. You're basically a real uboat captain! Having to watch everything from his hunger and comfort levels to his bowels/bladder and social levels!:haha:

JScones
08-21-09, 05:17 AM
so what are you supposed to do when you run out but still have fuel?

surface and send raiding party to board a ship before you finish sinking it and raid its food stores? :hmmm: hmm... interesting
Ironically, it is this consideration that makes the feature unlikely. In real life crew *did* raid ships prior to sinking - there's well documented and somewhat humerous instances of this - as well as catch fish and the like.

If these elements weren't added as well, there'd be no end of complaints about "another half implemented feature". And rightly so.