PDA

View Full Version : Probsub

Bryll
08-13-09, 10:45 PM
Hey fellas,

A month or two back I was in a second-hand book store, browsing the strange and interesting world of the bargain bin.

This wasn't any bargain bin - this one contained piles of old wargame manuals.

Amongst them, I found a submarine wargame called "ProbSub."

So far, the mechanics seem quite engrossing. It's all about SSN vs SSN conflict, and each turn the captains have to select the tiny, minute details of their move.

You don't just order a depth change, you select HOW - are you pumping water from your ballast tanks, planing up and down, or what? Using all these details a noise-level is determined.

The game is almost impossible to play properly without a referee, much like Dungeons and Dragons or the like.

I'm curious if anyone on this board has heard of or played this game before?

And if so, what'd you think of it?

joegrundman
08-14-09, 01:25 AM
why don't you try hosting a game of it right here?

Bryll
08-14-09, 02:09 AM
Not a bad idea. I don't actually think there's that much that needs to be 'known' by the sub commanders, and in some ways it might be interesting to keep the numbers hidden from the players.

I am a programmer by trade - a web programmer - so I'd been considering turning it into a web-based game. You know, log in once per day to log your move, and if you don't log one it's assumed your submarine continues with the previously given instructions.