PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an EASY way to get started!

Rayzer
08-12-09, 05:07 PM
I have played several modern sub sims and have been successful, but SH4 has me REALLY feeling stupid! I completted the first 3 training missions without difficutly, mostly automated, realism at 58%, but training mission #4 has me dead in the water before i get to try anything.
I really don't have time to read a ton of manuals, I just want to play and have fun, increasing realism and knowledge as I go. But if I can't even complete the training I'm going nowhere fast.
Does anyone have some SIMPLE help to learn this mission using basic, automated controls for a moron?
I'm a 23 year fire captain that has no "sea legs" apparently, I'm not stupid, but this one has me frustrated!
Tim

FIREWALL
08-12-09, 05:12 PM
If it's the AA Move on. Just about everyone do's. :DL

And... Welcome Aboard :salute:

Rayzer
08-12-09, 05:14 PM
No the Convoy attack, I get sunk without ever even hearing any depth charges. I don't evne know I'm under attack, I just keep getting damage reports. I really have no idea how to approach this training mission.

FIREWALL
08-12-09, 05:25 PM
Hmmm. :hmmm: Let's wait till our "Betters" post. :DL lol.

Carotio
08-12-09, 05:52 PM
since you're brand-new to this forum, I assume you play the vanilla version aka the stock version aka SH4 patched to 1.4 and nothing else, right? Or do you have purchased the uboat add-on too? If that's the case, your version number should be v1.5.

Much of this forum is about mods. It's been a long time since I tried the school missions, and I haven't seen a convoy in career mode in ages, but I have modified the strenth of the hull of all the subs in my version. Maybe not realistically correct, but it prevents me of getting sunk too quickly. If you want, I could help you increase that for you too...

Rayzer
08-12-09, 05:54 PM
I have purchased the U-boat add on, and have v1.5. But what i can't figure out is why I'm getting damage, enough to get sunk, when i have no indication that I'm being attacked?

Checkmate King 2
08-12-09, 07:33 PM
But what i can't figure out is why I'm getting damage, enough to get sunk, when i have no indication that I'm being attacked?

I had that same problem in SH3. I found out I was running into a anti-submarine net. Not sure if that's what might be happening to you. Next, time you start getting damage reports, try to stop your sub from its forward movement, as soon as you can. Then use the camera to "scout" around the outside of your sub to see what's going on out there!!

Good Luck!

Armistead
08-12-09, 10:34 PM
You're either getting sunk by depth charges, bombs dropped by planes, guns from a enemy ship. Hadn't played the mission, but mines or subnets shouldn't be a problem.

Not knowing the mission, how close it starts you to the enemy, ect., are you using the external cam so you can see what's happening?

If you're submerged, it's depth charges or planes bombing you.

This is more complex game just to rush into and have fun. Many things you have to learn if you're actually gonna play a campaign. My advise is to take the time to learn as you go. You're not going to make it through all the missions, much less a campaign if you don't take time to learn the basics.

magic452
08-13-09, 12:41 AM
Rayzer Welcome to the form.

School #4 is the convoy attack I believe, and you are most likely getting sunk by an airplane. You must submerge as soon as you can after the game loads. Go immediately to periscope depth and set speed to ahead standard.
That will get you started. You will need to go silent running right after that.
Let the convoy come to you.

Hope this helps. Good luck and good hunting

Magic

Munchausen
08-14-09, 03:55 PM
1. Don't move ... except to make sure you're at periscope depth.
2. Go to battle stations.
3. Manually raise periscope just high enough to see what's going on.
4. Look left ... and target one of those battleships.
5. Lower periscope.
6. Decide how you want to attack the battleship.

At this point, remember two things:

1. Keep speed (if you move) at or below 3 knots.
2. Minimize use of your periscope.

I'm goin' down
08-14-09, 07:28 PM
An EASY way?:har::har::har::har::har:<<those are my officers.