PDA

View Full Version : iRacing

TarJak
08-07-09, 12:15 AM
Anyone given this a go? Is it any good and worth the money you pay to subscribe? Can it be played offline for practise etc?

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25878104-15308,00.html

Falkirion
08-07-09, 01:46 AM
I've heard about it TJ, haven't got a sub though. My little brother is heavily into online racing and the few I've participated in are fun.

Leigh Diffey did a review of it see --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeE1yO5fggY

stabiz
08-07-09, 05:15 AM
I guess you can say it depends what you are after, and how much money you are prepared to spend. There is no AI, for instance, so the only way to race is against others. The physics and force feedback is amazing, no doubt, but you would expect that when every track and car costs around 15-20$ in addition to subscription fees.

I bought a two month subscription to see what it was all about, and I enjoyed it at first. But then i started to get sick of rolling around tracks with 3-5 other cars desperate not to touch each other so we didnt hurt our safety rating. (which you need to advance to the next level, where you have to buy new tracks and cars)

There will be a league function soon, I heard, so you can race friends like in other sims, not just get herded together with hose who have similar skill points, and maybe I will give it a go again at some point. That Lotus 79 is tempting as well.

Bottom line: Very good and very expensive. The money is not a problem for me personally, but I really dont like the rent-a-game concept.

TarJak
08-07-09, 09:12 AM
Thanks Stabiz. I'm not a fan of this sort of game payment either. I'd rather have something that I can use offline against AI for practise rather than jumping online.

The league concept sounds interesting though.

RedChico
08-08-09, 04:54 AM
Its a very strick system, you have all those payments subs, etc... and then you only race in some kind of series, you have some sort of safety ratings, the higher the rating the "better" cars you can use independetly of what cars you bought (i think, i'm not really sure).
You don't really have championships, i.e. you cannot organize a private champ with your friends or countrymen.

On personal opinnions:

I've asked a few of my buddies that are in Iracing and they tell me its a bit like slavery.
For me thats not racing.

Edit: leagues? ah ah... thats better Stabiz, indeed.