PDA

View Full Version : A-Scope radar

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 01:46 AM
A-Scope radar has two settings, Sweep and Focused. Sweep is simple, as the radar sweeps continously and the distance of the detected object is obvious. Focused is another story. How do you use it? I have never been able to get it to work.

Arclight
08-01-09, 01:56 AM
Ehr, point it where you need it.

Say you're tracking a target on radar and want to measure it's speed using the "measure distance travelled in 3 minutes" method. It's gonna be easier to do with the radar focused on a target, so you get constant update on the navmap, instead of having to wait untill the target is sweeped (with the risk of your radarman not picking up the target and thus not updating it's location).

From my experience, you need to point the beam (as represented on the display) a little to the right of your target. If the blip fades, readjust so that it stays bright.

Think you can focus the beam in a direction by clicking on the display. :hmmm:

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 02:53 AM
I am not sure you are addressing the A scope radar. If you are, then I am quite confused.

Arclight
08-01-09, 03:15 AM
I'm not sure either. :doh:

AFAIK, you have 2 radars: air detection, which has no display, and surface radar, with 2 displays. Everytime you get a hit on the right screen, you'll see a spike on the left one. When "focused", the radar beam remains pointed in the same direction.

Simply put, the 2 screens are for the same radar set.

magic452
08-01-09, 03:45 AM
The A scope focus or sweep switch will turn the PPI scope to sweep or focus.
Move the cam to see both scopes and you will see what I mean.
If you have a contact you can see it on both scopes, range on the A scope and bearing on the PPI.

Magic

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 01:22 PM
I think I understand what Captain Magic is saying. I thuink it is this.
1. Focus on the radar blip on the PPI radar. 2. When the PPI radar is focused on the blip, move the camera to the A radar view and click the focus knob to see the range.

That makes sense. Two views: PPI for bearing and A radar for distance. I will check it out. I never understood it, and could not get the A focus to work.:salute:

Arclight
08-01-09, 03:28 PM
Isn't that what I said. :doh:

Ugh, nvm. :rotfl:

Frederf
08-01-09, 04:17 PM
The two scopes are just two different displays for the same radar. All of the switches on each scope are linked to the same switch on the other scope. The On/Off switch on the left scope turns everything on and off and so the does the On/Off switch on the right scope.

"Sweep" and "Focus" are just "Sweep On" and "Sweep Off." With the automatic sweep feature on the spikes on the A-scope will be short lived as the radar sweeps through the target. In the "Focus" (aka Sweep Off) position the radar will stay pointed at the same bearing until you reenable the sweep feature or move the radar manually (mousewheel, home/end, or mouse click on the scope).

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 05:23 PM
Arclight, you may have said it, but part was in code and I got confused and off track. "AFAIK"? Is that an official abbreviation, Navy jargon, Subsim code, or, pardon my french, the true language of love -"Pig Laitin?"

Anyway, I need an explanation worthy of a dummy.

Frederf
08-01-09, 07:09 PM
AFAIK is Internet-speak for "as far as I know."

Arclight
08-01-09, 07:56 PM
Arclight, you may have said it, but part was in code and I got confused and off track. "AFAIK"? Is that an official abbreviation, Navy jargon, Subsim code, or, pardon my french, the true language of love -"Pig Laitin?"

Anyway, I need an explanation worthy of a dummy.
Fair enough. ;)

I rushed the reply a bit, so I'm not surprised I didn't get my explanation across. :D

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 09:51 PM
Code (Internet Speak) + my IQ (low) = confusion will always reign.

tomoose
08-01-09, 10:12 PM
My one complaint about the radar is how it always stops sweeping when I go to that screen. Drives me nuts even though it's just a simple matter of clicking the switch to restart the sweep, LOL.

Anyway, my routine is as follows;

Once I get a 'blip' on the right-hand screen I usually turn the boat in that direction so that the 'blip' is top-center on the screen. This way I can usually tell in a short period of time which direction the target is moving (but not always).

I'll let the sweep come around and then freeze it on the target. The I'll check the left-hand radar screen to see the range.

I'll turn sweep back on and leave it on as I manoeuvre into a decent range with periodic checks of the left-hand screen for specific range. Once I feel I'm getting into visual then I'll get on deck and start using the Mark-1 Eyeball (along with my usually eagle-eyed crew who normally spot the bugger first anyway).

Hope this helps.:salute:

I'm goin' down
08-01-09, 11:15 PM
Each of you has taught me something. Thanks.

Buddahaid
08-01-09, 11:29 PM
Here's the links to SH4 and radar type/use.

The SD air search radar is an AI function only and that is where your crew announcement came from. The SJ surface search set is both of the scopes you can man, and only becomes functional as the war progresses, and your sub actually has it installed. Yes, that is a bit confusing and to top it off, the buttons are/were mislabeled. The SJ A-scope is the green one with the horizontal grass line. It's used for range finding and has to be directed at the target to see the pips. The PPI (plan position indicator) is the red one with the sweeping clock like hand. This is a newer scope added to the sets and gives you a map, or plan view, showing bearing and range.

So, when the crewman says he has a radar contact, it's likely an aircraft. Look on your map view for a very fast contact and dive to evade.

This one describes the types in general with specs.
http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/radar-1.htm

This one shows more theory and indicates the SJ A-scope was for accurate range finding.
http://www.smecc.org/mcmahon's_radars!.htm (http://www.smecc.org/mcmahon%27s_radars%21.htm)

http://www.usscobia.com/

The Cobia link has photo's of the actual set, but I don't see any graticules other than bearing ones on the PPI.

Buddahaid