PDA

View Full Version : ship ID

Joe S
07-21-09, 10:29 PM
Is there a way to ask the crew to id a target as in SHIII? Thanks!

Armistead
07-21-09, 10:32 PM
Might wanna try the SH3 forum, but maybe someone here knows.

Nickolas
07-21-09, 10:48 PM
Is there a way to ask the crew to id a target as in SHIII? Thanks!

Might wanna try the SH3 forum, but maybe someone here knows.

hes in the right forum...
*sets up chair* I'd like to know too.

Fish40
07-22-09, 06:16 AM
I actually asked that question over at the RFB thread during the production of its' present version, and was told that since the Japanese had such a diverse collection of merchant ships, accurate ID'ing of a ship every time would be unrealistic. I actually read some submarine patrols, and indeed they mis-id'ed ships on several occasions.

Since I'm a realism addict, that was OK by me. With practice, I have been able to ID ships by observing deck features and mast configurations. Too bad it can't be worked to give a random answer, so the WO isn't correct 100% of the time, particularly on the darkest nights.

Rockin Robbins
07-22-09, 09:03 AM
Actually, if you're willing to "put up" with the vastly superior TMO keyboard layout, you can download my TMOkeys (http://www.filefront.com/12062058/TMOkeys.7z/) and get a shift-i keyboard command for "some dag blasted crewmember identify target."

Joe S
07-22-09, 10:16 AM
For range esteimation I ususlly use an "average" mastheight based on ship type or class, such as Tanker, large merchant, medium merchant, DD, CA, etc. I was hoping some of the crew input that we have in SHIII could be accessed with undocumented key strokes, etc. The sonar operator is much more usefull and helpfull in SHIII than in SHIV. Is it possible to transplant the files that make the sonar operator work from SHIII to SH IV? Thanks! Joe S

Munchausen
07-22-09, 12:24 PM
:hmmm: Not sure which sonar commands you're talking about. There are a lot of "SH3" commands in the configuration files for SH4 but few of them seem to work (assuming you first assign them to unused keyboard keys). But the command to ID the target does work ... and the easiest way to add it is via RR's little add-on, linked above.