PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice....

vodkaphile
07-04-09, 11:40 AM
Should I get Jutland or War in the Pacific, especially with the Admiral's edition coming eventually. I currently can only afford one title.

I'm a huge fan of very highly detailed and realistic sims,strategy and war games.

I've played War in the Pacific v1.0 and really enjoy it.

Does anyone recommend any other extremely detailed strategy/simulations that could possibly compare?

I of course own SHIII/IV+Uboots and the whole Total War series (TW series ism't my 'grognard' style_ but it is fun none the less.

I own HoI-2 complete pack as well as IL2, Pacific Fighters, etc....

I'm more into WW1/2 but I'm also interested in American Civil War and do own AGEODs Blue & Gray.

Help!

:)

Torplexed
07-04-09, 11:49 AM
I guess it depends on whether you're more interested in a tactical naval simulation or a game of grand strategy. Certainly the scale between then is far different. It's my understanding that you will have to have War in the Pacific to run the Admiral's Edition.

By the way, Gary Grigsby the creater of WitP is now working on a new Eastern Front game, War in the East. It'll be extremely detailed. ;)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=695

Buddahaid
07-04-09, 12:13 PM
You can demo Jutland for free, but the scenarios have time limits. One of them is 20min I believe.

Buddahaid

Raptor1
07-04-09, 02:35 PM
2 unlimited scenarios, all other scenarios have 10 minute limits in the demo except Jutland at 1548 which has 20 minutes

It really depends on what kind of game you like, personally I have Jutland and would probably buy War in the East when it comes out too

vodkaphile
07-04-09, 04:56 PM
I appreciate the replies.

I suppose it is really up to me as to which looks more entertaining or caters to my play style.

Task Force
07-05-09, 01:24 AM
also what theatre intrest you more.:yep:
the pacific, or the north sea, and a bit of the atlanic...

eddie
07-05-09, 02:26 PM
I've enjoyed the work Grigsby has done before, but don't understand his line of reasoning in regards to WitP. It still needs to be fixed properly, but when questioned about it, he said there was too much code to rewrite, so no more updates. So what does he do? He comes out with this new Admirals Edition. I don't suppose there was any new code to write there,lol

Plus you have to own the original WitP to use the AE coming out -whenever. There goes another $50 to $70, just to fix WitP, which should be free in the first place. If this AE was a substantial expansion, it might be different for me, but I refuse to be part of this apparent extra charge for a free fix we should have had in the first place.

Torplexed
07-05-09, 02:39 PM
As far as I know Gary Grigsby has nothing to do with coding the Admiral's Edition Expansion. It's being handled by an outfit called Henderson Field Designs. (Basically some of the experienced regulars on the WitP forum)