PDA

View Full Version : Major mod fix for TDC/TBT is upon us.

I'm goin' down
07-03-09, 07:27 PM
Here is the short version.

Mr. Nicolos, a captain who has somehow managed to sail his boat to Guatemala, has created a cfg dials fix for the TDC which emables a captain to easily adjust the AoB to a target's true course. The TBT adjusts automatically (how he did it I will never understand!).

Captain ddrgn has created a cfg dials fix that enables a captain to further adjust the AoB based upon the target's speed in the same manner.

Captain ddrgn is in the process of combining the two mods into a single mod which can be downloaded and activated via JSGME. Until that is done, which could be very soon, both mods can be activated by cutting and pasting to the cfg files as directed. All of this is explained in the newly stickied Easy Aob Mod that is posted in the SH4 Mod Forum.

These mods enable a captain to attack using the true course of the target, and he can verify his solution on the Attack Map. Attacks at long range are accurate at almost any angle using this method. My longest successful attack occurred at 4,403 yds. at a steep torpedo angle. These mods make it much easier to attack multiple ships on the same course that are travelling in a convoy or task force.

Please see the Easy Aob Mod posted in the Mod forum for the recent history of these two mods, which constitute a technological breakthrough in terms of aiding attack strategy. The next generation of tools to aid an attack are upon us, and these mods, soon to be combined, constitue a brilliant follow-up to masterful work of the pioneers of attack strategy we are familiar with, including Werner Sob, Rockin Robbins, and Hitman to name a few. [My personal favoirte mod has been Nisgeis torpedo angle mod (where did you come up with the data for that!??), but the Easy AoB mod is catching up quickly.]

To put it in perspective, if a newbie uses this mod, it is like being upgraded from a donkey to a Indy 500 race car. For the veterans, you will feel like you have traded your dependable old Buick/Ford for a Ferrari.

Akula4745
07-04-09, 09:25 AM
Sounds interesting, skipper... I will give it a try when released. Its bound to help my feeble old brain figure this out... :hmmm:

Armistead
07-04-09, 02:13 PM
Can't wait for them to be combined. Easy AOB is excellant. I made an attack and hit 3 ships. It cut time more than half of what it took before.
Now can pull off attacks quickly of several ships without having to leave that scope up forever.

Great job...one of the best.

I'm goin' down
07-04-09, 06:34 PM
The combined mod is ready for downloading. I am not sure where it has been posted, but probably in the Easy AoB mod thread in SH4 mods forum. It has my vote for the mod of the year through Independence Day. To Mr. Nicolas and ddrgn, its designers, I say Thanks. (I am not not worthy of this freebee).

Congrats Armistad. Multiple ships successfully attacked in one run is the essence of the mod. It makes what was extremely difficult merely a tough but doable challenge.

I need help. TMO scopes are not powerful enough to get a good aspect ratio at long distance or on a dark night. Is there a better scope fix for TMO. It would make a big difference on my success rate on long distance attacks and night time attacks. The main reason I have been missing shots is difficult in getting the correct aspect ratio at long distance and when it is very dark and when visibiltiy poor.

ddrgn
07-04-09, 08:09 PM
I sent the mod files to Nicolas for a review of the readme.

Nicolas should post the mod when he is done reviewing it.

Nicolas
07-04-09, 08:24 PM
i checked the files ddrgn and its ok, but i have no access to the download section to upload the mod yet.

ddrgn
07-04-09, 08:35 PM
i checked the files ddrgn and its ok, but i have no access to the download section to upload the mod yet.

neither do i... hopefully Neal will give you access to upload the files soon

I'm goin' down
07-04-09, 10:20 PM
ddrgn, I have been typing your name incorrectly. I have it stright no. My apologies.

ddrgn
07-04-09, 10:27 PM
ddrgn, I have been typing your name incorrectly. I have it stright no. My apologies.

no worries ;)

I'm goin' down
07-04-09, 10:31 PM
I have pointed out that it is difficut to get a good aspect ratio at a distance at at night in TMO because the scopes are not too great. I had not loaded the TMO mod with better scopes!!! Duh!!! Let's see if that helps.

ddrgn
07-05-09, 02:27 AM
There is even more to this dial fix. Now the range can move as well when entering it i via the TGT dial.

One more addition, jump over the original thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1129068&postcount=54

I'm goin' down
07-05-09, 03:16 AM
I had a hell of a time, but I finally confirmed the mod activated by JGSME works fine. I failed to install the upraded scope in TMO/RSRDC and could not get a good aspect ratio on long distance and nightime shots, and consequently was missing some targets. Before I figured out that I had not installed the Betters Scopes mod fix to TMO, I missed some of those difficult shots due to inaccurate input of the aspect ratio into the stadimeter.

The game also took a toll. I fired 3 torpedoes at a merchant with a draft of 15 feet. I set the torpedoes to run at 12 feet. I was in an S - 18 in 1942, and the torpedoes passed under the target amidships and kept right on going. I think the torpedoes manufacturer was known for screwing up the torpedo run depth in the early part of the war, and that caused those shots to miss as the torpedo angle was dead on.

I finally nailed a small coastal freighter tonight using the mod to aid in planning the attack. I set the torpedo (I only had one left) to run at 5 feet just to be on the safe side.

Before you made the downloadable version, I was knocking out ships like there was no tomorrow by cutting and pasting the cfg changes per your instructions, so the mod version activated by JSGME was merely a confirmation of the original.

ddrgn
07-05-09, 03:20 AM
It is all pretty simple stuff actually. Simple config file with commands and links to commands. I did look over the dial.cfg pretty good and I think I have done all I can do to improve it. Guess we wait for TMO 1.8 for clickable interior dials ;}