PDA

View Full Version : Damage control and monster waves

rockhpi
07-02-09, 11:55 PM
I'm running with the Trigger Maru Mod only. I had a deck gun damaged and was running along on the surface. I assigned some crew to the damage control team and clicked the "damage control" button. The deck gun said "repair time: 13 minutes". Hours later it still said "13 minutes". The gun was in the queue and the damage control team button was pressed. Why wouldn't it get repaired? If I remember correctly, if it's unrepairable at sea, it says so. Any ideas?

Also, since installing TM, every encounter occurs inside the Storm of the Century. Waves hundreds of feet high prevent me from seeing more than a brief glimpse of target ships. All of the tutorial videos I've watched take place in glassy-calm ponds. I can't just whip out an AOB and ship ID in a few seconds when I can barely see the ships at all. For those with TM experience, is this standard or have I just had unlucky conditions? Does it make a difference how close to shore I am?

Also-also, since installing TM, my center crosshair is missing. In some tutorials I see people using the stadimeter and lining up the center crosshair with the target's waterline before checking the mast height-I can't do this in TM since there is no center crosshair. However, in some videos they don't seem to care and skip right to the mast height check. Is lining up on the waterline necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Task Force
07-03-09, 12:01 AM
TM has waves 100 feet high.:o or did i misunderstand you.:hmmm:

magic452
07-03-09, 01:50 AM
Some of the storms last several days and you can't do much about it but the "100 foot waves" will go away eventually. They do seem like they are a hundred feet at times don't they. In conditions like this I shoot on sound only using a constant bearing attack like the vector analysis method. If you are not familiar with it do a search and find Rockin Robbins 3x5 cards for constant bearing methods
Here is the link:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118923&highlight=Vector
Go to page 11 post # 204

You don't need to line up the cross hairs to get a stadimeter reading.

You must be surfaced to get the deck gun repaired and than sometimes it is unrepairable. but man the gun yourself and see if it will fire, sometimes it will even if it shows damaged.

Magic

FritzRommel
07-03-09, 07:23 AM
a storm, i have yet to see anywaves more than a foot tall, can we have some pics of this storm, i want to see what a storm looks like in SH4?

johntarmac
07-03-09, 10:49 AM
As magic452 says, try manning the gun yourself.

I've had a gun that wouldn't repair until I manned it for a while then I got the message it had been repaired.

Cheers

rockhpi
07-03-09, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys...I was away from SH for awhile, not long after I installed TM, so maybe I just need to spend more time with it. But my (brief) experiences since coming back have been about 95% in EXTREMELY large rolling waves (not always while raining either) where I spend more time seeing the green underwater algae/krill/whatever than seeing a ship. I don't expect that every condition be perfect but I can rarely see the ship long enough to do anything accurately. The other 5% is merely in very large waves :) But I'll put in some more time with it-maybe I just had bad luck. I watched some tutorial videos on dead calm water where, in mere seconds, solutions on two separate ships are quickly calculated and 6 torpedos are perfectly put on target and thought "Well sure, I could do that too if I could SEE the ships!" :) Is it possible (or advisable) to go slightly less than perscope depth just to get the scope higher out of the water? I guess I need to just be patient and wait for better conditions (or go on sound as mentioned above).

magic452
07-04-09, 01:33 AM
YA you can go to 45 feet and remain undetected most of the time, but be careful the top of the tower is exposed, you don't want to be too close. Keep the periscope up as short a time as possible, that is what they see.
That is why I shoot on sonar, if possible, in these conditions.

Magic

Hartmann
07-07-09, 10:42 AM
I'm running with the Trigger Maru Mod only. I had a deck gun damaged and was running along on the surface. I assigned some crew to the damage control team and clicked the "damage control" button. The deck gun said "repair time: 13 minutes". Hours later it still said "13 minutes". The gun was in the queue and the damage control team button was pressed. Why wouldn't it get repaired? If I remember correctly, if it's unrepairable at sea, it says so. Any ideas?

Also, since installing TM, every encounter occurs inside the Storm of the Century. Waves hundreds of feet high prevent me from seeing more than a brief glimpse of target ships. All of the tutorial videos I've watched take place in glassy-calm ponds. I can't just whip out an AOB and ship ID in a few seconds when I can barely see the ships at all. For those with TM experience, is this standard or have I just had unlucky conditions? Does it make a difference how close to shore I am?

Also-also, since installing TM, my center crosshair is missing. In some tutorials I see people using the stadimeter and lining up the center crosshair with the target's waterline before checking the mast height-I can't do this in TM since there is no center crosshair. However, in some videos they don't seem to care and skip right to the mast height check. Is lining up on the waterline necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using any enviroment mod ??

i like rough weather an waves but i consider the high of the waves insufficient for my taste compared with sh3.

any way to increase the fun and have a really huge waves ? :hmmm:

kiwi_2005
07-07-09, 06:05 PM
In rough weather real men use sonar attack :DL