PDA

View Full Version : Volume too low?

rockhpi
07-01-09, 11:18 PM
SHIV works fine for me, except the volume sounds like it's set to about 50%. I have to crank the stereo way up to hear it properly. Volume is set to max in the options. No other games/programs have this problem. I have a Soundblaster X-Fi sound card, Vista 32-bit. I have seen threads about sounds going high-to-low, cutting out, etc. but mine is just always very quiet. Has anyone else experienced this?

SteveUK
07-02-09, 07:04 AM
Sometimes my volume went skyhigh for some reason, installed new driversnow it stays the same level but haven't come across your problem sorry.

Have you tried downloading latest ones for your card?

fred8615
07-02-09, 08:09 AM
When I was playing on XP I had to turn the computer sound up all the way in order to hear at a decent level. But after installing the Windows 7 RC, I only have to go up about halfway now.

Rockin Robbins
07-02-09, 08:45 AM
Ditto rockhpi, I think SH4 volume is about 50% compared to just about everything else. I like to run a media player with SH4 and it makes relative volumes a little tricky.

vickers03
07-02-09, 09:00 AM
same soundcard, same volume problems:hmmm:

Pisces
07-02-09, 11:48 AM
It's a Vista 'feature'! (and W7 is based on it, so it has it too ofcourse) Each program has it's own volume slider in the mixing panel, seperate from the 'master' volume slider. I think it defaults to 50%. This allows you to almost mute unimportant background applications without also limiting the main application soundlevel. But I find it far from easy to use.

rockhpi
07-02-09, 01:21 PM
How do you access that slider to set it higher? No other programs give me this trouble.

Thanks for all the responses.

Pisces
07-02-09, 03:16 PM
I have a speaker icon in the taskbar, near the clock. For the slider for that game to be to appear the program needs to be running, so you are forced to Alt-tab out of the game to adjust it.

Rockin Robbins
07-02-09, 09:20 PM
I use a little utility called Volumouse (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html), which lets me press the Alt button and then use my mouse scroll wheel to adjust the volume in any program. I'm running XP.