PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on Renown..

gammasigma
06-18-09, 01:40 PM
Playing GWX3 I note that no renown is not reward for successfully reaching the assigned patrol and staying for a certain length of time. Is this correct? If so, is there any reason to go there at all? Should I just free lance and look for tonnage wherever I can find it?

sharkbit
06-18-09, 01:59 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

You are correct-GWX removed renown for patrolling your assigned area and there is nothing stopping you from freelancing.

Personally, I follow orders head to my patrol area, patrol for 24 hours and then go hunting elsewhere within reason. I don't go trouncing off to the other side of the ocean though. I try to stay in the same general area.

Today, I saw a recently added mod in the download section that reinstates renoun for patrolling your area if you're interested.

:)

Bent Periscope
06-18-09, 02:06 PM
Welcome aboard. I usually head to my area but will attack on the way if opportunity calls.

BP

Fishers of Men
06-18-09, 02:22 PM
I edited the basic.cfg file and added back a small amount of renown. It seems important, IMHO, to follow my initial orders and attempt to patrol my assigned sector and stay on station for 24 hours. I freelance after that. It seems to keep within the spirit of the simulation that, as a good officer, I will follow orders to the best of my ability. If every u-boat commander did his own thing and did not look at the big picture, there would be chaos and the submarine war would be ineffective.

In real life, most u-boat commanders had a lot of freedom of action, within boundaries.

FoM

Sailor Steve
06-18-09, 02:24 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

It's easy enough to edit the renown to give whatever you want, but I don't bother because I never 'buy' anything anyway.

Personally, I spend my entire patrol in the assigned grid for the simple reason that the game, even with GWX, gives many times the encounters that any historical u-boat ever had, and since I play for the historic feel rather than the tonnage I'm perfectly comfortable complaining about coming home empty once in awhile.

But that's just me.

Murr44
06-18-09, 03:06 PM
I had a bug occur the other night where I reached my patrol grid (CO52) & patrolled it for 24 hours but the game wouldn't recognize that I had reached it or that I had done my 24 hrs inside the grid (both primary & secondary objectives were still blue {not met}). This was with GWX 3.0.

Sailor Steve
06-18-09, 03:18 PM
That happens ocassionally even in the stock game. It's very rare, but it does happen.

cj95
06-18-09, 10:36 PM
Running GWX 3.0

I treid to manually edit the config as well, but for some reason I still get zero reknown for completing my patrol zone obligations.

When I exit and open the cfg again its set back to zero.

???? Why does it change back? I know I saved it, and I 've tried multiple times with the same result. :damn:

Obviously its somehitn that GWK is doing against my wishes, but I cant trace down where I need to edit things.

Help please?

I dont need a zillion points...but just 50-100 or so to make me feel like Im accomplishing things

danlisa
06-19-09, 04:33 AM
I don't have access to the files at the moment.

But there might be a duplicate copy of the file within the SH3 foleder in My Documents under your career name. These files override the main SH3 program folder versions for an already established career. Changes to the master files (in My Programs) will only come into effect when a new career is started.

Other than that, did you save your changes.:D

Jimbuna
06-19-09, 07:25 AM
Dan is right...you need to change both CFG files.

cj95
06-19-09, 10:04 AM
Ok.....my next question is....where is the second basic.cfg file?

In my documents under my captains name there is no such animal. Lots of patrol configs and such, but nothing I see that will control reknown.

Am I missing it somewhere?

razark
06-19-09, 12:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there may be a copy in the SH3 Commander files, or was that just the awards that get modified there?

Razark

Murr44
06-19-09, 02:28 PM
That happens ocassionally even in the stock game. It's very rare, but it does happen.

It's not so rare as it happened again yesterday :damn: but thanks for the explanation...:)