PDA

View Full Version : Oops...having problems already :(

ddiplock
06-13-09, 05:40 PM
Ok, I anticipated running into problems in getting SH3 working with Vista. I've installed the game, patched it all up without installing GWX and tried to run it (as admin too).

I get the usual message that this game can only be run on Windows 95, 2000, XP or Server 2003 machines blah blah. I have tried running the Starforce update tool/patch.....but its telling me it can't find any starforce drivers to actually update.

Now after reading through the sticky on getting SH3 working with Vista, after updating Starforce, you have to uninstall SH3 and reinstall, patch everything up and try to play. But if I cannot get the Starforce update running properly in the first place.....what can I do to get SH3 running with Vista??

Cheers chaps any help is greatly appreciated, as i'm salivating at the mouth to play the new GWX3 Gold :)

Torplexed
06-13-09, 05:46 PM
I really think you need to get starforce out of the picture altogether. I know people hate to pay twice for a game, but since it's a four-year old game it's probably selling for dirt-cheap. Is there anywhere in Britain you can pick up a SF-free DVD? Maybe try a downloaded version?

ddiplock
06-13-09, 05:49 PM
I really think you need to get starforce out of the picture altogether. I know people hate to pay twice for a game, but since it's a four-year old game it's probably selling for dirt-cheap. Is there anywhere in Britain you can pick up a SF-free DVD? Maybe try a downloaded version?

Oh yeah there's places I can buy it on the cheap which I may have to do, the extreme step is to wipe the PC again and put XP 64 on. lol :) I actually did that once I wanted to play SH3 so badly, but I'm not sure I want to do it again this time :(

Torplexed
06-13-09, 05:53 PM
I bought one for $12.00 at an office-supply store back a few months ago. It sure simplified things since in addition to not having SF, it included all the official patches to date too. Came in a cheap paper sleeve...but who cares? :D

ddiplock
06-13-09, 06:01 PM
So I guess short of wiping my machine for XP or buying a more updated copy there's not much I can do to get SH3 working with Vista?? :damn:

I probably shouldnt, but its this sort of thing that makes me despise Vista and why I run it in the first place when XP was fine.

ddiplock
06-14-09, 10:38 AM
Yikes....that was unexpected. Even installing XP-64 hasn't made a difference. The game, patched to 1.4b but without GWX is refusing to run. Giving me the same error message as before. "This can only be run on a Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP or Server 2003 machine"

Its XP-64 but the game doesn't appear to like it still. Anyone got any suggestions?? Or am I going to have to wipe the machine again and drop to 32bit XP?? :(

grislyatoms
06-14-09, 10:57 AM
Don't know if this will help but...

My original SHIII install was a Steam download (properly paid for and all). Problematic. Steam is off my HDD and will not return.

Found SHII and III bundled together at Amazon for $6 or so, this was just last week. There's a link to the bundle somewhere on this site. No Starforce.

ddiplock
06-14-09, 11:07 AM
Hmm....well it is mighty frustrating being stopped from playing a game legitimately paid for and owned by myself because of some silly protection system :(

Downgrading to 32bit OS nullifies the fact i'm running with 8GB of memory in my PC.

EDIT: However....a no CD patch solves the problem and gets the game to run :) Now to install GWX3 and see how it goes :D