PDA

View Full Version : I know what I want for Christmas...

Arclight
06-13-09, 01:00 AM
Now just to get the funds... donations are welcome. :yep:

This Flight Sim Needs 120 Graphics Cards Just To Get Off The Ground (http://kotaku.com/5286561/this-flight-sim-needs-120-graphics-cards-just-to-get-off-the-ground)

source (http://i.gizmodo.com/5285690/ultra+hd-military-f+16-flight-simulator-runs-on-120-pc-graphic-cards)

FIREWALL
06-13-09, 02:18 AM
That is the ultimate Flight Simmers Toy. :o

Thx Arclight :salute:

Stealhead
06-13-09, 02:34 AM
Man the military has used these for a bit now had a friend when I was in the AF whose job was to maintain and run them. They have them for every aircraft and there is also one for the Abrams MBT saw that one on miliraty channel once for that each memeber of the crew has his own station and they are actualy seprate but linked so the driver drives the loader loads ect. the driver is even in a seprate device apart from the other 3 crewmen just like the real Abrams.

They can link them together too so several of these things can "fly" together.If you think about it even though very high priced a sim machine like that saves a lot of money when you take into account how much it costs to fly a real fighter we would do at the least 4 hours of maintance per 1 hour of flying time and JP-4 aint cheap. Still nothing like the real thing baby! Sometimes the Air Force will give an airman that does something outstanding what they call an "incentive ride" where they strap you in the back seat of a B/D or an older F-15E Strike Eagle model and take you for a ride if your really lucky you'll get to ride when they are running air to air they sometimes go all up to a 8 vs 8 scenario that is the one you want to go on because the pilot is going to pulling the full combat G's that he/she is used to.

Arclight
06-13-09, 10:32 AM
That is the ultimate Flight Simmers Toy. :o

Thx Arclight :salute::salute:

I think if they strapped me in the back of an Eagle, pulling up to 9G, my guts would be pooring out the back into my shorts. I can only imagine where my lunch would end up...:timeout:

Dowly
06-13-09, 10:34 AM
It only has one flaw... modern jets. :nope:

SteamWake
06-13-09, 11:40 AM

LOL :rotfl:

Is it just me or does that look alot like Falcon 4 ?

Rockstar
06-13-09, 01:40 PM
How about a whole stack of paper instead, then you can make a whole eco-friendly air force of paper airplanes <lol>

Task Force
06-13-09, 04:13 PM

yea, id love to have one for a ww2 airplane like the FW 190, or the bf 109, or maby even the B 17.:D Il2 would not even be a match. (now just give it the ability to rotate and tilt like the real aircraft... that would be great.:yep:

Oberon
06-13-09, 04:52 PM
I'm going to drag out another story from Chris Bains 'Cold War, Hot Wings' here, because it involves flight 'sims' and is rather funny.

During the late 70s, early 80s I think, Mr Bain was involved with the Harrier simulator. Since it was before the days of modern computer graphics, they used a camera and a big old model landscape and projected the view from the camera up 200x onto a tv screen by the sim-cockpit.
Anyway, the boards on this landscape were about four foot by four foot, and they weren't quite put together flush, so you could fly the camera down the section between the boards if you were clever enough and it would be like flying down a huge Grand Canyon.
After a few times doing this, during his lunch break one of the technicians dropped a dead spider down the 'canyon', and so on his next run, Bain encountered the spider which, zoomed up at 200x on the viewer looked like some hideous alien monster, which he then promptly crashed into at a simulated 640 knots. :haha:

It's a good book if you ever get a chance to read it, covers a lot of post-Second World War British foreign policy regarding Africa and the former colonies from the viewpoint of those at the sharp end.

Task Force
06-13-09, 04:56 PM
sounds like that belongs in dowlys spider thread... Spider kills simulated harrier...:rotfl: