PDA

View Full Version : Rough weather deck gun use

Cachalot_3C
06-10-09, 09:28 AM
Hi All,

Some time ago I found a mod for using the deck gun in rough weather. It involved modifying one of the game files, but I didn't make a note of it at the time and although I've just spent an hour searching through the forum I can't find it.
I know there is a GWX mod for the weather, but being perverse I want to keep the game stock at the mo'.

Does anyone know the name of the game file which should be modified? :06:

Laufen zum Ziel
06-10-09, 09:44 AM
Jimbuna's rough weather deckgun mod. Can download from subsim downloads.

Sailor Steve
06-10-09, 11:32 AM
Go into Data/Submarine. In each U-boat folder you'll find a cfg file. 'Storm Conditions' governs the deck gun usage. Stock is '7', max is '15'. If you change it to 15 you can use the guns in any weather at all. The downside is that your crew won't put on their wet-weather gear, ever, as that is governed by the same controller.

I may have misremembered some of the actual titles - I can't post from home so I'm going from memory.

Jimbuna
06-10-09, 11:44 AM
Welcome aboard Cachalot_3C http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/welcome.gif

Your two alternatives, as already pointed out:

http://files.filefront.com/GWX30+All+Weather+Guns7z/;12858195;/fileinfo.html

Will work fine using JSGME, or go to:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX3.0\data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat9b (and every other sub type)

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=13.5;meters 12.5
SnorkelDepth=14;meters
CrashDepth=70;meters
MaxDepth=500;meters
SurfaceDepth=8;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=20;meters
StormConditions=99,1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

Open up each CFG file and change to the yellow text.

Cachalot_3C
06-10-09, 12:28 PM
Yep, that's it. Many thanks to you all. I can now fire the gun when the wind speed is above 7 m/s and waves aren't breaking over the casing.

I'll be trying some of the mods when my campaign has finished.

Cheers...

Jimbuna
06-10-09, 12:49 PM
BE MORE AGGRESSIVE!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Sailor Steve
06-10-09, 01:07 PM
Yep, that's it. Many thanks to you all. I can now fire the gun when the wind speed is above 7 m/s and waves aren't breaking over the casing.
That's me too. I watch the actual physical conditions, and react accordingly. SH3 Commander lets you set the waves for as much a double the stock height, as well as have seasonal variations; and it's not a mod but a tool that lets you change many parameters in the game.

Also, WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

chanman
07-03-09, 01:48 AM
Go into Data/Submarine. In each U-boat folder you'll find a cfg file. 'Storm Conditions' governs the deck gun usage. Stock is '7', max is '15'. If you change it to 15 you can use the guns in any weather at all. The downside is that your crew won't put on their wet-weather gear, ever, as that is governed by the same controller.

I may have misremembered some of the actual titles - I can't post from home so I'm going from memory.

I just checked my CFG files, and they're actually missing that line. I'm running version 1.4 with no mods, and adding the line doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I've got a stationary crippled troop transport, but because of the weather for the last week, I can't use my surface guns or load my last external torpedo. :rotfl:

Also, is there any way to adjust my forum settings so that the earliest posts are at the top instead of the bottom? This is a bit disorienting as it's the opposite of every single other forum I've every used.

Jimbuna
07-03-09, 02:58 PM
I just checked my CFG files, and they're actually missing that line. I'm running version 1.4 with no mods, and adding the line doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I've got a stationary crippled troop transport, but because of the weather for the last week, I can't use my surface guns or load my last external torpedo. :rotfl:

Also, is there any way to adjust my forum settings so that the earliest posts are at the top instead of the bottom? This is a bit disorienting as it's the opposite of every single other forum I've every used.

Check out #4

chanman
07-04-09, 07:38 PM
The download in post #4 seems to consist of altered CFG files. I've tried it, didn't seem to make the difference. Decided to just head home rather than waiting for the North Atlantic weather to clear up.

Jimbuna
07-05-09, 05:42 AM
The download in post #4 seems to consist of altered CFG files. I've tried it, didn't seem to make the difference. Decided to just head home rather than waiting for the North Atlantic weather to clear up.

Have you tried enabling the mod via JSGME whilst in port? :hmmm:

ltforce
07-06-09, 06:49 AM
why do people use this mod??? would you go on the deck of a rocking uboat in 10+ foot waves and try and shoot at a ship??? DONT MAKE YOUR POOR YOUNG CREW DO IT!!!

Telgriff
07-06-09, 10:47 PM
Its interesting that the deck gun can be used in large seas, though they tend to pause on reloading when the whole deck gun is underwater!

Definately makes shooting a challenge when the bow is lifting up and down with the waves.

God I love this game :yeah:

Sailor Steve
07-07-09, 11:41 AM
why do people use this mod??? would you go on the deck of a rocking uboat in 10+ foot waves and try and shoot at a ship??? DONT MAKE YOUR POOR YOUNG CREW DO IT!!!
Partly because in the stock game it won't let you use it when the wind is at 7 m/s, which is only about 13 knots, and the sea is fairly smooth.

The other part is that the deck and flak guns are tied together in this respect, so if you can't use the deck gun you can't use the AA either. So you get both or you get neither.

chanman
07-08-09, 06:14 AM
Have you tried enabling the mod via JSGME whilst in port? :hmmm:

JSGME... That would probably be it.

Jimbuna
07-08-09, 07:17 PM
JSGME... That would probably be it.

Give it a try http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif