PDA

View Full Version : Weird bird behaviour...

Murr44
06-05-09, 11:53 PM
Does anyone here have a budgie? I'm asking because I couldn't find any information about this. My friend has a male budgie named Sky & the other day when I was over there this loopy bird did the strangest thing. He hopped on my finger & started nibbling on it (I've seen him do that many times so it's not unusual). Here comes the weird part; he suddenly squatted down on my hand, leaned forward with his head feathers puffed up & his tail feathers puffed up too. While he was doing this his pupils contracted to pinpoints & he allowed me to stroke his back. This went on for about 2 minutes and then he seemed to snap out of it; as if he was in a trance. I read on several budgie pages that they don't like their backs stroked and that puffing up their feathers was their way of showing off. That's about all I can find out about it though.

Just asking if anyone has ever seen this behaviour before...

Letum
06-05-09, 11:56 PM
Many birds hypnotize easily. That may be the cause.

It might be a good idea to ask a biologist (link) (http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/punbb/index.php).

GoldenRivet
06-05-09, 11:57 PM
mating ritual? :haha:

Murr44
06-06-09, 12:00 AM

He did that on my hand one time last year & it was seriously gross!:eek:

Rilder
06-06-09, 12:19 AM
Women always act weird though.. :rotfl:

Women are sometimes referred to as birds, >_>

Murr44
06-06-09, 12:41 PM
Women always act weird though.. :rotfl:

Women are sometimes referred to as birds, >_>

He's a male bird. Maybe he decided to "switch teams"...:D

bookworm_020
06-07-09, 01:59 AM
I've owned a couple of budgies and they are capable of anything. I've got a cat now, so the bird aren't going to make a reappearance soon!

baggygreen
06-07-09, 06:05 AM
We had one many years ago, it did that too.. similar situation seemed to set it off.

Then it started doing it by itself.. very odd!

Kapitan_Phillips
06-07-09, 06:17 AM

Budgie Pon'Farr? :har:

breadcatcher101
06-07-09, 06:19 AM
By chance was it your bird finger?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dimitrius07
06-07-09, 06:37 AM

I think that the case:salute: