PDA

View Full Version : Ice Station Zebra question!

Rhodes
06-02-09, 03:53 PM
TCM Europe, the tcm chanel that I have in cable gived us Ice Station Zebra today as first film of the night (second time this week!)

I always had a doubt about the sub class in the movie. The sub is like the nautilus? Nuclear sub with guppy hull? (Don't no if there was a nautilus class, so I ask like this)

Platapus
06-02-09, 09:21 PM
In the movie, the sub was actually the USS Ronquil (SS-396) in the role of the fictional USS Tigerfish (SSN-509).

The Ronquil was a Balao class submarine that in 1952 was modernized with "guppy II" modifications

The Ronquil was laid down on 9 Sep 43 and served in the US Navy until 1 July 71. Over 27 years. In 1971 she was transfered to the Spanish Navy and renamed Isaac Peral (S-32). She served in the Spanish Navy until 3 April 1984.

A career of almost 41 years. Pretty impressive!

ekempey
06-02-09, 11:50 PM
Funny thing about this movie was 2 different subs were shown depicting the same sub, for surface shots the Ronquil was used, but for underwater shots a model of the Skate class submarine was used. The Skate class was the production model based off of the Nautilus.

Rhodes
06-03-09, 05:36 AM
The Skate class was the production model based off of the Nautilus.

That's way I had the idea the sub class in the movie (in the fiction) was a "Nautilus class".

Thank you both!:up: