PDA

View Full Version : On the beach and burning...

Akula4745
05-26-09, 10:50 AM
...but will still shoot at you. Going into Osaka harbor on a photo recon mission - dark night running on the surface - and I see a Subchaser (or is it a DD?) broken in half on the beach and burning... so I assume she is dead. Not so much. I took a shot in the butt from this you-know-what for 7 points hull damage!! If you look closely you can see the little buggers still manning their guns... sigh.

A few miles further in I watched two gunboats smash themselves on the beach and burn a couple of hours apart. Interesting strategy... LOL (pictures graphically brightened for your enjoyment)

http://www.jimdeadman.com/dd1.jpg
http://www.jimdeadman.com/dd2.jpg

I think these ships were the majority of their defensive team as I only encountered aircraft after the Hari-kari action.

SteamWake
05-26-09, 10:59 AM
LOL yea the AI does seem a little confused on this issue.

Ive seen gun crews stuck at their station with the end of the ship pointing vertically to the sky and sinking. Gravity defying. Only when the ship slips beneath the surface do they leave the station even then sometimes they stay there till its like 50 feet deep.

I also enjoy the aircraft both axis and allies wack into the side of mountains :doh:

PortsmouthProwler
05-26-09, 11:06 AM
Gee, I really gotta play more, just for the visual yucks.

ichso
05-26-09, 11:22 AM
This is exactly why surfacing too soon after a successful attack on an armed freighter is dangerous, too ;).

Even if their main deck barely reaches out of the water, they still seem to have nothing better to you then throwing gun shells at you. How about saving your own lives, people ? :stare:

Akula4745
05-26-09, 11:33 AM
This is exactly why surfacing too soon after a successful attack on an armed freighter is dangerous, too ;).

I learned that lesson the hard way too, Ichso... the armed freighters will shoot at ya till they sink... even when listing the wrong way!

I have read about the aircraft slamming into mountains - but have not seen one yet, SW. LOL

SteamWake
05-26-09, 01:12 PM

Even if their main deck barely reaches out of the water, they still seem to have nothing better to you then throwing gun shells at you. How about saving your own lives, people ? :stare:

Another amusing thing is when the boat is listing so bad that the guns cannot be trained on you and they start shooting into the water. :rotfl::arrgh!:

SteamWake
05-26-09, 01:14 PM
I learned that lesson the hard way too, Ichso... the armed freighters will shoot at ya till they sink... even when listing the wrong way!

I have read about the aircraft slamming into mountains - but have not seen one yet, SW. LOL

Akula4745

Never actually 'seen' it just map contacts suddenly show a downed plane. I fly the external cam over to the area and there it is stuck in the side of a mountain on fire.

Seen ships sink on their own as well as running aground.

Akula4745
05-27-09, 02:22 PM
Ya just gotta love it! LOL

rditto48801
05-27-09, 08:31 PM

Akula4745

I usually see it happen when leaving from or returning to Pearl Harbor early in the war (early 1942), near the middle of the west side of the island. If a little ways away from the island, keep an eye for SD radar contacts on the map that seem to 'act odd' or otherwise make a 'turn' towards Pearl Harbor. Chances are, they will try to do a low flyover.... sometimes to low...
I have seen two crashed planes and rescued a total of 5 air crewmen due to these incidents, along with 2-3 other crashes shown on map but in areas were even the external camera could not see them.

The most amusing find, seeing a plane that not only had flown to low to the ground, but was apparently flying upside down when it crashed, because it was upside down when I spotted it on land. :o:-?

Akula4745
05-27-09, 10:38 PM
Thanks rditto... I will keep an eye out around Pearl.

PortsmouthProwler
05-28-09, 01:04 AM
Chances are, they will try to do a low flyover.... sometimes to low...
I have seen two crashed planes and rescued a total of 5 air crewmen due to these incidents, along with 2-3 other crashes shown on map but in areas were even the external camera could not see them.

:rotfl:

Too funny - have they assigned you to the Pearl Harbor Rescue Squadron yet?