PDA

View Full Version : Bernard saves the day!

Brer Rabbit
05-24-09, 04:56 PM
So here I am on my second patrol out of Wilhamshaven, after a successful first patrol. It is October 39. After the first patrol my First Officer was transfered and promoted to captain his own boat. In his place came a new FO by the name of Bernard Nichtgut. He came to me with high praises from the great Baltz. I was relieved to have an experienced FO as my other officers were relatively inexperienced.
So off we go to patrol AN13. Enroute just north of the Shetlands we come across a tramp steamer, "OK Berbard," I sez, "Lets see what you can do"
I turn over the scope to him and let him do the approach. He set up a fast 90 degree approach, range 1200 meters, speed 8 Kn. "Torpedo Los," he screams in my ear. There is a slight shudder as the torpedo is launched.
The ticking of the stop watch is almost defeaning as we anxiously awaited the expected explosion. Bernard is dancing a little jig and rubbing his hands together.
" Torpedo missed, Sir." remarked the Wpn Off. "Dumkopf" I muttered to Bernard as I grabbed to periscope an raised it. The tram steamer continued merrily on its way unaware of the close call. I recalculated the speed --"Scheisse, 10 kn." Not willing to waste naother torpedo so early in the patrol, I ordered the boat surface and manned the deck gun. Seas were smooth, and the range had closed to 500 meters. We dispatched to ship with ease and returned to course to get out of the area. Fortunately night was approaching so we remaind on the surface while we sped away.
I grabbed Bernard by the throat and sant him down at the charting table where I critiqued his failure, and assigned his a the Watch Officer.
Ther next three weeks were uneventful. We patroled our assigned area and moved to the north coast of Ireland where the engines strted to act up, and the weather turned bad. I headed NE deciding we'd better mosey back towadr home in case the engines gave more trouble. Two week later after slowly patrolling the northern reaqches of England, we finally had a sonor contact moving a medium speed to our NE.
I was feeling sorry for Bernard, as he had been my primary point man on the bridge, so got him out of his bunk and turned over the con to him to mak"e the kill.
His gleefully raised the scope, looking for his target. "Scheisskopf," I shouted ,"he is not yet in visible range, remember what I taught you, find his course, plan an approach, measure his speed, and range."
"West" he said, "she's heading west." As he was planning a 90 degree intercept, he st the TDC to AOB Port 90 degrees. I was following progress from the Sonar station. "Bernard," I calmly called up, "the target is on a course of 75 degrees."
Right, Herr Kaluen." Bernard replied and made adjustment to his course to intercept the target on the new course. He reised to periscope and spotted the targer, later ID'd as a Medium Cargo. "Chart her speed," I called ,"and do it right this time."
The weather was still atrocious, but Bernard seemed to have it under control. ------To be continued.

Brer Rabbit
05-24-09, 05:17 PM
Well to continue my tale. Bernard sets up what appears to be a perfect approach range is down to 1100 meters speed constant 8 kn, AoB 85 degrees. "Torpedo los," he shouts, again came the shudder. "Tube 2 torpedo los." he cries, "down scope."
The stop watch is ticking and everyone is holding his breath. "That was too easy." he said as he turned to me. "The target was all lit up."

"WHAAAT, BEERNARD!" I screamed as I grabbed the periscope, "Up scope! I shouted and pressed my eye to the eye piece. There it was in all its glory, a white medium cargo, all light up with a spot light prominately shining on the Swedish flag. "I'm doomed," I moaned to my self. I had visions of men in black leather trench coats waiting at the dock when I returned. The stop watch was still ticking. I paled ad held my breath as the second hand approached to estimated time of impact.
I let out an nervous laugh as the time of impact passed, there is still one torp to go. Again the time of impact passed. Torpedos missed cried the weapons officer. Through out the control room you could hear a great sigh of relief. I quickly glanced at the TDC and ran over grabbing Bernard in a big bear hug. BERNARD, you sweet M*** *******," I shouted in his ear, "You just saved my life!" All the time staring at the TDC AOB setting 90 degrees Port.
Bernard spent the remainger of the patrol helping out in the engine room. When I see Baltz, I'll ------.

bookworm_020
05-24-09, 07:48 PM
:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Brag
05-25-09, 02:34 PM
Har, harrr, harrrfff :haha::haha::haha::haha:

Dowly
05-25-09, 03:03 PM
Bernard seems to be not so interested in my boat. Lucky me. :yeah: