PDA

View Full Version : Time for the 2D paper map again?

AVGWarhawk
05-19-09, 08:50 AM
People will be befuddled on how to use a paper map again! Some may never have seen one!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/19/gps-close-to-breakdown

Rockstar
05-19-09, 09:48 AM
My thought is, this hype is a prelude to turning over cost of maintenance of the system to private enterprise which will most likely mean that if we want to use GPS then we are going to pay for it.

Looks like I'll be buying a nice chinese made Astra sextant and going back to paper charts for my travels ;)

AVGWarhawk
05-19-09, 09:54 AM
My thought is, this hype is a prelude to turning over cost of maintenance of the system to private enterprise which will most likely mean that if we want to use GPS then we are going to pay for it.

Looks like I'll be buying a nice chinese made Astra sextant and going back to paper charts for my travels soon ;)

:yep:

Yep, making a market where one does not exists. Like anything else in life, it is a prelude to the general masses having to pay.

Rockstar
05-19-09, 10:00 AM
I know we pay for it already by uncle taxing the snot out of us. But what stinks is, if or when I start paying private enterpise for GPS my taxes will not go down. :nope: Same product at now twice the price!

Of course I could be wrong.

bookworm_020
05-20-09, 07:03 PM
I wonder if the EU GPS sats that were going to be launched to create a rival GPS network could take over from the existing system???

Highbury
05-20-09, 08:43 PM
I know we pay for it already by uncle taxing the snot out of us. But what stinks is, if or when I start paying private enterpise for GPS my taxes will not go down. :nope: Same product at now twice the price!

Of course I could be wrong.

Realistically though, think of how you would feel if you were in the Air Force budgeting department. You come out with this new tool to track your assets across the globe. Then the unfortunate KAL 007 incident when the 747 was shot down by Soviet fighters. Regan ordered GPS made available to the public so that airliners could track their positions more accurately. Next thing you know, Johnny with his iPhone is demanding you spend billions on upgrading the system so he doesn't get lost because he has gotten used to tapping into a free military signal, when for centuries we did fine by looking up directions before we left home. I would have a bit of a f*ck this attitude as well. Placing yourself within 2ft on a little map on your PDA or whatever is cool, but for most of us is it really necessary?

Jimbuna
05-21-09, 05:29 AM
I wonder if the EU GPS sats that were going to be launched to create a rival GPS network could take over from the existing system???

I'm not so sure about rivalry....but more in terms of complimenting/assisting the US network where gaps might appear.

Call it 'doing our bit to assist'.

On a personal note....I shouldn't really use mine for the shortish distances I usually travel. I use it in a theraputic role....to convince the wife I know where I'm heading. :DL