PDA

View Full Version : Jumpgate Evolution

Dowly
05-13-09, 09:55 AM
This should please everyone who liked Freelancer and especially the multiplayer side of it.
http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/

Cant wait for it myself, just received email from my Freelancer's clan commander that he is going to move the clan to JGE when it comes up.

JGE should have pretty much everything that Freelancer offered (except the massive amount of new ships via modding). Downside being, it's a paytoplay game.

SUBMAN1
05-13-09, 01:45 PM
Looks cool but I still want a replacement for Independence War II and I don't think this is going to do it.

-S

SteamWake
05-13-09, 03:27 PM
I currently play Jumpgate classic. Its a good game with a damn good and vibrant community. Much more mature and well mannered than any other MMO I have played. The economy actually works and playing as a 'civilian' you are for the most part not hassled by griefers and such. Sure the occasional wild hair pirate may try to jump you but if you know how often you can just run away.

Another cool aspect is there is a 'simulator' offered where you can get any ship with any gear (except artifacts) and can blow each other up with no money lost. Im pretty sure that feature will still be in JGE.

JGC is also offering free trials with a chance to get beta keys for JGE however Im thinking it may be too late to get on the list.

Its kind of funny that within the last couple of months the number of folks logged in 'live' has exploded both old and new accounts. All hoping for a beta key.

There is even a live radio station "jumpgate pirate radio". With good music humorous commercials related to things in the game and contests.

For an older game it still looks and plays quite well.

The community at large are split between wecolming the new version and the others that call it WoW in space. The new release will of course bring out the kiddies malcontents and such.

Cant wait to see their punk asses get handed to them by those with years of experience. Yes it is heavily PvP. No its not easy.

The flight physics are pretty good with only a small amout of 'drag' factor added into the weightlessness of space. In order to stop you often have to flip your ship over and hit the engines to get going the other way.

Im in the wait and see catagory. Just hope to get a beta account.

Any questions about JGC just ask. I'm pretty familiar with the game.

No I wont give out my pilot's name :cool:

Dowly
05-13-09, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info Steamwake. :up:

SteamWake
05-13-09, 05:53 PM
Oh ! LOL forgot to mention...

Its the only MMO Ive ever played where a joystick is not only useable but highly recommended.

Dowly
05-13-09, 06:14 PM
Its the only MMO Ive ever played where a joystick is not only useable but highly recommended.

Good to know that, FL's joystick control was pretty bad so the only really efficient way to fly was mouse + keyboard.

Laffertytig
05-14-09, 01:26 PM
are there any comparisons to be made with this game and eve online or
X-fire reunion?

Dowly
05-14-09, 01:35 PM
I think it would be closer to the X-series as you have complete control over your ship.

SteamWake
05-14-09, 01:55 PM
Id say it was sort of a cross between Wing Commander and X. But a distant relative of either. Nothing at all like EvE.

One of the good points of JG classic at least it is alot more skill based than levels and moneys. You can in fact be competitive in the pvp areana from about 10th level on up with a little help from friends.

See a 1st level charecter can get 50th level gear if 'brokered' to them by a higher level charecter. The only restriction is which ships you can command but that changes quickly and a light fighter can still be a worthy adversary.

The different factions are quite well balanced and none have a real clear advantage over the other. Also everyone has a common enemy... the 'flux' or conflux.

When I say its more skill based I mean that literally. Learning to circle fight, dive bombing, etc. are not easy skills to master but no one says you cant start learning from day one.

Want to see whats its like to fly a heavy fighter and how you like to fit it out? Just jump in the sim you can fly any ship in the game with any equipment at any level with and against other players at no cost.

Keep in mind Im talking about JGC here as I have no idea how things will be handeled in Evolution.

I've heard rumors that the flight physics were 'dumbed down' in eveloution which would be a shame.

Hell it took me about a week to learn how to dock at a station manually without either smacking into it and exploding or bouncing off of it. Again time spent in the simulator is a good idea.

I still occasionally wack into a gate petal or the stray asteroid :rotfl:

Laffertytig
05-14-09, 02:12 PM
sounds great:) two of my all time fav space games were wing commander and frontier elite. i tryed eve online on and off over the last couple of years but its never grabbed me as much as the games i mentioned above.

Raptor1
05-14-09, 02:16 PM
Aye, Elite, Freelancer, X and all the rest were great games

EVE is a great game until you get into a big 0.0 alliance, then it's all tank this and PvP that, stopped being fun so I stopped playing

Might start over completely someday and won't repeat the same mistakes

I'll be looking forward to this one too

Arclight
05-14-09, 04:24 PM
Will be following this closely. :yep:

SteamWake
05-15-09, 01:56 PM
No word on beta keys... yet... supposed to open in June sometime.

No idea as to a nda will have to wait and see.

SteamWake
05-29-09, 11:01 AM
Still awaiting word on the beta :hmmm:

Arclight
05-29-09, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but honestly I'm not expecting a reply. :hmmm:

SteamWake
05-29-09, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but honestly I'm not expecting a reply. :hmmm:

Heck they wont even tell us what their plans for JGC are wether or not it will remain or be shut down.

Arclight
05-30-09, 07:22 AM
Jumpgate Evolution jumps back into development, won't make June release (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/28/jumpgate-evolution-jumps-back-into-development-wont-make-june/)

SteamWake
06-01-09, 10:26 AM
Jumpgate Evolution jumps back into development, won't make June release (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/28/jumpgate-evolution-jumps-back-into-development-wont-make-june/)

Oh good lord have to hear it from some third party website :doh:

Arclight
06-01-09, 10:42 AM
Guess they're too busy. ;)

The reason is because they were getting a lot of feedback. They're either squashing bugs or adding much asked for content. Going back to development isn't a bad thing, the final product becomes that much more polished and complete. I wish more devs had this attitude.

"Sorry guys, it's not perfect yet, hold on a little longer."

Better than putting a buggy pos on the market that's never gonna be what it could have been. :yep:

SteamWake
06-01-09, 01:32 PM
Guess they're too busy. ;)

The reason is because they were getting a lot of feedback. They're either squashing bugs or adding much asked for content. Going back to development isn't a bad thing, the final product becomes that much more polished and complete. I wish more devs had this attitude.

"Sorry guys, it's not perfect yet, hold on a little longer."

Better than putting a buggy pos on the market that's never gonna be what it could have been. :yep:

Question is where did that feedback come from? I nor anyone I know got a beta.

Arclight
06-01-09, 02:20 PM
From what I gather over at their forum, beta and release are very close together, say a few weeks. I guess the feedback comes from forum discussions.