PDA

View Full Version : Depth charges and stealth

Pepe le Moko
05-11-09, 09:12 AM
When is it exactly that destroyers can't hear you and that it is safe to go faster to evade them?

- When the destroyer above you begins her depth charge run and accelerate to fast?

- When she actually drops the depth charges?

- Or when the depth charges explode?

Leg
05-11-09, 09:20 AM
I'd say all the three of them... as the DD can't drop depth charges too close to itself, as it'd risk to be damaged from them, it has to go fast when droping them; when it's increased its speed, its sensors become deaf... so it can't hear your. If you notice; after the attack run and the depth charge explosions, the DD will almost stop, to listen and trying to locate you. So, when it will start to accelerate to drop depth charges, do the same, go fast, change course and depth; then return to 1 knot. It will help you to don't get hit and to evade the DD.

Jimbuna
05-11-09, 11:12 AM
Agreed http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Pepe le Moko
05-11-09, 01:15 PM
Okay yes it makes sense, that's what i have been doing so far and it works well, i just wanted to be sure.

Bronzewing
05-11-09, 01:37 PM
I saw a destroyer depth charge it's self once while trying to attack my little Type 2 inside Hartlepool harbour where I had just blown up a medium size merchant and a coastal steamer. He shot right past me going way to fast to detect me as I was sneaking out of the harbour and dropped where I'd fired from 10 minutes earlier. The water was so shallow they went off under his own stern! On fire and listing to starbord the destroyer crashed into the key and sank! Sadly BDU did not accept our claim to have sunk it, and it was not added to our total bag of 4 freighters and one small fishing trawler which we surfaced outside the harbour mouth and took out with the 20mm after the destroyer stoped exploding. :)