PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal or What?

Groove74
05-09-09, 03:03 PM
Well after looking at many Tutorials and many nights of Trial and Error. I have run into something else I need some advice on. Ok so I head out on Patrol and I get to Patrol zone. I set my Sub "USS-Voyager-0074" to Patrol Pattern near the mission marker slowly working my way around the zone. I getting contact reports for ship that are way outta range or at long range. How can I get just reports for ships in my Patrol zone? So far I have seen very little combat and the war is passing me by! Doing 1941 mission?

Torplexed
05-09-09, 03:08 PM
I think some of the mods addressed this problem, but yeah in the stock version of the game it was normal to get useless contact reports about convoys and task forces thousands of miles away.

Groove74
05-09-09, 03:11 PM
I see. Well that only make learning the game a bit more diffacult. As I am not ready to start modding yet. Do you Know how I can get just reports for ships inside my patrol Zone

peabody
05-09-09, 03:16 PM
Well after looking at many Tutorials and many nights of Trial and Error. I have run into something else I need some advice on. Ok so I head out on Patrol and I get to Patrol zone. I set my Sub "USS-Voyager-0074" to Patrol Pattern near the mission marker slowly working my way around the zone. I getting contact reports for ship that are way outta range or at long range. How can I get just reports for ships in my Patrol zone? So far I have seen very little combat and the war is passing me by! Doing 1941 mission?

EDIT: Incorrect information. The mission editor uses KM not miles for the radius of the Patrol zone. So while most of the zones ARE 100 it is KM not miles as I stated.

The Patrol zone (Star with binoculars on it) is usually a 100 mile radius from the Star. Use the compass and draw a circle slightly smaller than 100 miles, just so you don't accidently leave the zone. If you leave the zone the time starts over. You usually have to spend 48 hours in that 100 mile radius. If ships enter that area, attack. IF not just use time compression and go 48 hours until the star turns grey, your patrol will be a success and then sink ships anywhere you want. If you want to play 'realistic' you can stay in that area, but you won't be limited by the 100 miles once the star is grey. (mission complete)

Edit: I see you got a couple answers before I finished typing. One point, not all ships show a red box, so there may be ships close by that you won't find unless you patrol. Not all ship, convoys and task forces are shown on the map with red squares. So basically just ignore the "contacts" that are too far away, if you chase them, they will be gone by the time you get there anyway.
Peabody

Tony845
05-10-09, 09:25 AM
I thought the Patrol Radius was 50 miles ??

Armistead
05-10-09, 09:49 AM
Most areas and stock is usually is 50 miles, but many mods change that. If you have RSRD the messages will tell you what limits to stay in and for how long, some one day, some three. I just get in the zone and TC until time is up.

Are you using any mods.

peabody
05-10-09, 02:10 PM
Most areas and stock is usually is 50 miles, but many mods change that. If you have RSRD the messages will tell you what limits to stay in and for how long, some one day, some three. I just get in the zone and TC until time is up.

Are you using any mods.

EDIT: The patrol zones in the Mission Editor are given in KM not miles, my mistake, corrections made to the following info.

Below is a map of Patrol Zones, this is ONLY Patrol zones where you must stay within a limited area for a certain amount of time. I didn't think while I was doing the map, I should have put in the time too. But just stay inside the Patrol area until the star turns grey. I did not include any other missions, such as sink, photo, supply drop...etc, since none of them require you to stay in a certain radius for a length of time.

There are two 75 KM zones in the Sulu Sea, all the rest are 100 KM or more.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2084/patrolzonesize.jpg

I have uploaded this to the download section under "Missions and Maps" in case the image from Imageshack gets deleted.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1109

Peabody

Tony845
05-10-09, 11:39 PM
I play the game unmodded but I have to say I am impressed with the work done by all the people who produce the mods for Silent Hunter. There are so many variants that can be applied to the game that it seems the one basic game can be changed to suit any players tastes. A range of difficulty from simple fun to blindingly hard.
Good work.

Tony

Akula4745
05-11-09, 11:18 AM
Hey Groove,
Don't be afraid of single function mods like the reduced radio traffic... they will not mess you up. Just install JGSME and add the mod... if it displeases you then you can simply open JGSME and remove it... no fuss, no muss. Check it out!

Here is a link to Webster's fine mod for exactly what you mentioned: the radio traffic -- Webster's Reduced Radio Traffic for v1.4 & v1.5 (6.3 KB)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1033

Below is a map of Patrol Zones...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1109

Sweet map, peabody! Many thanks!

Akula4745

Groove74
05-11-09, 11:22 AM
Sweet thanks I added the mod and bow I am having alot more fun I am now finding ships and now running all over the place :yeah:

Akula4745
05-11-09, 05:23 PM
Excellent, sir... I knew you'd get the hang of it. Hell, if I can... anybody can!

Akula4745