PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my engines?

Bronzewing
05-09-09, 01:53 PM
Having restarted my career after getting a new PC last December I'm now in 1941 with a type VIIC at my command and I'm considering splashing out on a nice new turbocharged engine. But I'm not sure if it's worth the cost in range or not. What would you say is more useful? The extra knots for chasing contact reports, or the extra range on patrol?

Paul Riley
05-09-09, 02:03 PM
I reckon both added speed and added range are about as important as each other,but to travel at higher speed naturally reduces potential range,as you already know.I think any time you get chances to upgrade your engines take it,it would naturally allow your interceptions to become more efficient,it would also help you in emergencies,either for making distance between yourself and a pursuer and also allows you to emergency dive that bit quicker,very important against aircraft :o:dead:

In a nutshell,get them engines mate.Don't forget the electric engines too,it should be clear why they are important,getting out of bloody trouble fast and from falling DCs

Bronzewing
05-09-09, 02:46 PM
Well you can't actually upgrade the motors, only the batteries. and I always do them as soon as a new model comes out.

Sailor Steve
05-10-09, 04:51 PM
It's true you can't upgrade in GWX. In stock you can. Buuuut.......

Real life. Type VIIa came without superchargers. Top speed about 17 knots. Type VIIb and all later boats came with superchargers. Top speed about 17.9 knots. There was no 'upgrade', and the speed the stock game gives you pre-upgrade is the speed they actually got with superchargers. Therefore, the stock upgrade is total fantasy.

That's the reason you can't upgrade in GWX - it's set up the way they really were.