PDA

View Full Version : What are the development dates for the better German radar units?

Paul Riley
05-09-09, 12:56 PM
Can someone tell me when the new radar units are available?,as things are starting to hot up against aircraft lately.I currently have the rather inept and practically useless Fumo 29 (is that the first one?,correct me if not),which I don't think I have used once,ever!.

I am thinking it is sometime in the early part of 1943?

Cheers.

Torplexed
05-09-09, 01:28 PM
Your best defence is probably always going to be good radar detection equipment rather than radar, with the introduction of the FuMB7 Naxos in November 1943. German sub-fitted radar is always rather feeble and gives your position away if the Allies are detecting it.

Paul Riley
05-09-09, 01:46 PM
Regarding warning recievers,I find it almost never warns me at the moment,its always the watch crew that warn me.

And staying on the subject of recievers are they independant of the actual radar device?,meaning it will still warn you even if the radar itself is switched off?

And can you tell me,do some of the more later recievers actually emit a beep,or other audible warning?.

Cheers Torplexed

Torplexed
05-09-09, 01:56 PM
Radar detectors only give you a warning if they are picking up a signal, but it's a good bet the Allies are using aircraft-fitted radar when it become available..sadly they don't give you the range.

The Germans were always behind on active radar and the U-Boat with it's trademark low-lying silhouette made a poor platform to boot. Interference with the radar signal by the ocean surface meant that ships were often visually detected before being picked up on radar.