PDA

View Full Version : Good Sub Movies

Vandrith
04-29-09, 04:45 PM
Anybody know of any nicely done Submarine movies?

I know that The Hunt for The Red October and Run Silent, Run Deep but do you guys have any other ones worth a look?

eljeffo41
04-29-09, 04:52 PM
Das Boot is a good one. The directors cut runs 209 min,so you really need some time to enjoy it!:doh:

captgeo
04-29-09, 05:13 PM
U-571 is really good for sound and graphic's , but the story is a little "bogus"

Akula4745
04-29-09, 05:36 PM
Depends on if you like the actors (and I like Gene Hackman) so I would recommend "Crimson Tide"...

For stupid silly fun - "Down Periscope" with Kelsey Grammar and the hot blonde... whatever her name was... or "Operation Petticoat" with Cary Grant and a young Tony Curtis.

And last but not least... my all time favorite - "The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!" - with Carl Riener and Alan Arkin. If you can only watch one... watch this one. It will make you crack up... I guarantee it.

Akula4745

FIREWALL
04-29-09, 05:41 PM
I just posted one. Operation Pacific.

link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043887/

trailer : http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi765395225/

Watch the damn trailer. I didn't post the link for my health. :haha:

John Channing
04-29-09, 05:41 PM
Nicely done is subjective, but here is a partial list (my preferences are marked*):

WWII
Destination Tokyo*
Torpedo Run*
Torpedo Alley
Operation Pacific
Operation Petticoat*
Up Periscope
We Dive at Dawn*
Above us the Waves
Below
The Enemy Below*
U571
Hellcats of the Navy

Modern
Down Periscope
Crimson Tide*
Assault on the Wayne
The Bedford Incident (Kinda Subby)*
Ice Station Zebra*
Gray Lady Down
Crash Dive
K-19 The Widowmaker

I am sure there are others I have missed but that is my collection.

JCC

FIREWALL
04-29-09, 05:55 PM
Just got back from doing a little shopping at Amazon.

1. Gray Lady Down
2. Crash Dive
3. Submarine X-1

Akula4745
04-29-09, 05:55 PM
Just found this...

http://submarinemovies.com/index.html

DaveyJ576
04-29-09, 06:08 PM
A long time ago, I think it was 1985, I watched an old movie while underway on the Darter. It was called Submarine D-1 and starred the USS Dolphin (SS-169), playing herself. It was made and set in the early 1930's and told the fictional tale of how the Dolphin was rammed and sunk in a fleet exercise. The movie subsequently showed how the crew was rescued in a McCann Rescue Chamber and how some of them escaped using Momsen Lungs. The movie was meant to be both entertainment and a documentary on how "advanced" the Navy's capabilities were in submarine escape and rescue.

I haven't seen the movie since then, but would love to find it on DVD sometime.

Vandrith
04-29-09, 06:30 PM
I've been told that Periscope Down is good, and Das Boot seems worthwhile.

Vandrith
04-29-09, 06:57 PM
Also, I'm aware that Das Boot is in German, I would assume there are English Subtitles/Voiceovers Availible correct?

Hmuda
04-29-09, 07:02 PM
...and Das Boot seems worthwhile."Worthwhile" is an understatement, it's a real piece of art. Great music, great characters, believable special effects, exciting, and long.

Ever since my question regarding movies, I spent time hunting down several sub movies and here's my list of recommendation:

Below (just your average "oooh, you'll be scared now" horror flick, but can be entertaining at times)
Crash Dive (a bit too much romance and too few submarine scenes, but a good "oldie" movie)
Crimson Tide (Hollywood flick done right)
Das Boot (already said)
Destination Tokyo (Pretty good movie)
Operation Petticoat (a decent comedy with some memorable moments)
Enemy Below (not entirely sub-movie, more like half-destroyer, half-sub-movie)
Above us the waves (the attack on Tirpitz, and as far as I could tell after watching a documentary, the movie was following the real events fairly closely)

EDIT:
Also, I'm aware that Das Boot is in German, I would assume there are English Subtitles/Voiceovers Availible correct?I saw the english voiceovers and it was decent, but the XO's terrible voice and accent made me switch to german. At least the original didn't reek of forced voice acting.

Soundman
05-04-09, 02:40 PM
Yes Crimson Tide is good. Probably under rated. With Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, how bad could it be?

Sailor Steve
05-05-09, 02:24 PM
Das Boot is a good one. The directors cut runs 209 min,so you really need some time to enjoy it!:doh:
Short version, eh? I prefer the 452-minute Uncut version. Das Boot is the best.

Nexus7
08-09-09, 04:43 PM
My personal preferite is K-19 "the widowmaker" starring Harrison Ford and Liam Neason: cold war movie based on (semi)real events. This is entirely a sub movie. If you look for action (battle) then you find almost none here. Basically a movie about honor and sense of duty, pretty in martial spirit.

If you like "the hunt for red october" you'll probably not like this one.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhTHS7sjTls

Highbury
08-09-09, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately a thread of this type will exhaust all of the movies that are actually good within a few posts, so since it was not mentioned I thought I would throw in an awful one, In Enemy Hands

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316824/

Plot: At the height of Hitler's infamous U-boat war, the crew of the U.S.S. Swordfish were heading home after months at sea. They never made it. Now prisoners of war aboard U-boat 429, a small group of American survivors will find their loyalties put to the ultimate test when they're forced to join their German captors to fight for their very lives.

Yes, it is as bad as the plot sounds.

Capt.Warner
08-10-09, 12:06 AM
My Top 3:DL
1.Das Boot 4-5 Hour version
2.Crimson Tide
3.U-571(-Pretty Good)
Worst One Ive Seen
1.Below(Very Dumb)

Kloef
08-10-09, 09:41 AM
Hmm,the Das Boot (1985) miniseries is my favourite..

Run silent run deep (1958) is a good movie,but i'm a sucker for 50's movies..

Destination Tokyo (1943) is worth the watch,great story.

Icestation Zebra (1968)....very good classic cold war movie.

Crimson tide (1995),good story but i wanna see some fighting darnit!

U-571 ....avoid at all costs,ruins the genre:o

Hell and high water (1954)...will surprise you with the captivating story.

Down periscope (1996) great comic with the Pampanito..love this one.

Operation Pacific (1951)...John Wayne...need i say more?

Operation Petticoat (1959)..who says sub movies have to be serious?

The Atomic Submarine (1959)...mmm a b-movie...but i like it i guess.

The enemy Below (1957)...fight between u-boat and destroyer,not bad.

The Hunt for Red October (1990) ,great movie!

We Dive at Dawn (1943) war-time production,pretty entertaining.

There are more out there,i'm still looking for some old ones..

@Soundman....nice sig,know the aircraft well..first one-piece fabricated boxdesign,frontrunner for the f-14 and years ahead of its time..too early out of service..

u-168
08-17-09, 07:05 PM

Ya i got the directors cut i was sat there for 3 and a bit hours i was thinking do i need more than 1 disk for this movie :arrgh!:

U-168

papa_smurf
01-15-11, 06:15 AM
My favourite sub films are:

We Dive at Dawn
Above the Waves
Das Boot

Platapus
01-15-11, 09:02 AM
My Top 3:DL
1.Das Boot 4-5 Hour version
2.Crimson Tide
3.U-571(-Pretty Good)
Worst One Ive Seen
1.Below(Very Dumb)

We don't like your kind around these parts, Pilgrim.

:D

I have read many words to describe U-571. Some of them can't be repeated on this forum. But "pretty good" is not one of the more common ones.

:D

Walter Wolff
01-15-11, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately a thread of this type will exhaust all of the movies that are actually good within a few posts, so since it was not mentioned I thought I would throw in an awful one, In Enemy Hands

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316824/

Plot: At the height of Hitler's infamous U-boat war, the crew of the U.S.S. Swordfish were heading home after months at sea. They never made it. Now prisoners of war aboard U-boat 429, a small group of American survivors will find their loyalties put to the ultimate test when they're forced to join their German captors to fight for their very lives.

Yes, it is as bad as the plot sounds.

I dont get this one is it in ww2 or what? The picture shows a modern boat. Your right looks pretty stupid but William H. Macy is awesome.

Das Boot is the best war movie of all time. submarine or no submarine its the best.

papa_smurf
01-16-11, 05:54 AM
3.U-571(-Pretty Good)

Pretty good?!?!?! I'm shocked that you can compare this to Das Boot:doh:

Sailor Steve
01-16-11, 10:36 AM
I'm shocked that people are railing against a post made more than a year-and-a-half ago. :O:

nikimcbee
01-16-11, 03:45 PM
Anybody like "Torpedo Run?" I haven't seen that since high school.:-?

Platapus
01-16-11, 06:35 PM
Torpedo Run is pretty good. There is the hokey plot about him being forced to torpedo a ship with his wife aboard. But if you can get past that, it is not bad.

I thought Glen Ford was a bit over acting but that was his character.

artao
01-18-11, 04:16 PM
I'll have to look up Torpedo Run now :D

Re: a couple other movies commented on herein ...

U-571 -- c'mon, it's not all that bad. sure, they take SERIOUS liberties with history, but aside from that it's a well-done movie.

Below -- I rather enjoyed this one, tho I wouldn't say it's a "good" movie. Sure, it's not particularly accurate, but then it's not a "straight" sub movie. It's REALLY a horror/thriller that just so happens to take place on a sub. A naval ghost story, if you will, and IMHO it does that rather well. :D

In Enemy Hands -- OK, this one certainly IS a stinker. W.H.Macy's performance even gets dragged down by those around him. The plot itself has potential I think -- I mean, an outbreak of meningitis on a submarine? Yeah, there's potential there. Utterly fails in acting and directing tho. I couldn't finish it, but I sure tried.

YAY movies :rock:

Kaye T. Bai
01-18-11, 05:08 PM
Does the 1990s remake of Godzilla count? :D

For those of you who haven't watched it, in the movie, a pair of Ohio-class SSBNs chase Godzilla throughout the Hudson River in New York City. Guess who wins? :yeah:

krashkart
01-18-11, 05:38 PM
I've only watched one older submarine movie so far, and it was Operation Bikini. It might have been better without the singing. :-?

Sort of related; there is a classic movie showing this week called In Which We Serve. Looks like it might be worth a watch. Has anybody seen it? :ping:

Sailor Steve
01-19-11, 12:32 AM
U-571 -- c'mon, it's not all that bad. sure, they take SERIOUS liberties with history
And procedure, and reality. It probably is a fine action movie, but as someone who has been in the navy, it's just too much to take. The older WW2 movies may be hokey, but they are ernest, and tell a story as best they can. That movie doesn't even try to get it right, and that's what grates.

Randomizer
01-19-11, 02:17 AM
I've only watched one older submarine movie so far, and it was Operation Bikini. It might have been better without the singing. :-?

Sort of related; there is a classic movie showing this week called In Which We Serve. Looks like it might be worth a watch. Has anybody seen it? :ping:
In Which We Serve was loosely based on the destroyer service, in the "K" Class HMS Kelly, of then Captain Lord Louis Mountbatten, cousin of the King and post-war last Viceroy of India. At the time the movie was made Mountbatten was Commander, Combined Operations. It is doubtful anybody moved up the chain of command as fast as Lord Louis, a junior Captain (D) in 1939 and Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia in 1945. Mountbatten had a huge ego and was often on the set to ensure that everybody knew that the movie reflected his early war career.

Author and the movie's star Noel Coward was a good bud of Lord Louis and between the two of them they cranked out this classic piece of propaganda in early 1942, a time when things did not look too good for the Allies although with America now in the war, the future was brighter than the previous year. If wartime propaganda flicks or the Royal Navy is your thing, In Which We Serve is probably worth a look.