PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled upon survivors while returning to base, now what?

rditto48801
04-25-09, 05:59 PM
First of all, I am more or less new to these forums, although I am an old Silent Hunter fan, starting back with Silent Hunter 1. :yep:

Now to my little problem of sorts.

While returning to Pearl Harbor, I 'spotted' survivors on the west side of the island. I approached to find an upside down B-24 roughly 10nm from Pearl Harbor, and red smoke approaching the water, and then the red smoke and 3 survivors drifting out onto the water.

I have tried 'parking' the sub next to them, when they got out of shallow water I tried to dive and surface to see if the game was just being odd about things, and I have tried repeatedly clicking on them while in binocular view on the bridge. Nothing seems to work. I have had them apparently drift 'through' my sub at one point.

Is there anything that I can do, or is the game setup where it is impossible to do anything about survivors unless specifically having a mission to pick up survivors?
Is there some trick or workaround I might have missed?

I did try to search for answers, but I found nothing other than a thread on how to complete assorted missions, but I found nothing that seemed to really help with my present problem.

Other info.
I have Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition, v1.5 with U-Boat Missions.
The game should be stock, no mods.
It is Feb 13 1942 and I have a Porpoise class sub.
I do recall noticing an SD contact heading in the general direction of the crash site not long before I spotted the 'crash site' while near Pearl Harbor.
When first spotting the 'survivors' contact, I saved before investigating. I had the 'contact' on land vanish and be replaced by a blue parachute icon on the map, in the water, about 1nm away from me and near shore, but when I hit F5 to go to the Bridge and get a visual, I had a CTD. I restarted SH4 and reloaded, and was able to get a successful visual on the second attempt... where I am now...

Torplexed
04-25-09, 06:14 PM
Hmmm. That is odd. Seeing a downed plane and pilots so far from a combat situation...although I'm sure training snafus took place all the time. However, crashed friendly planes near base aren't uncommon in SH3

Maybe it's a job for the Coast Guard? :hmmm:

Kapitan_Phillips
04-25-09, 06:36 PM
Welcome aboard! :yeah:

If I knew how to take survivors on board, I'd tell you how :oops:

d@rk51d3
04-25-09, 06:44 PM
You are clicking the "rescue" icon, aren't you?

If you click the binocular icon, then click the last Icon on the right (life preserver ring) you should be able to pick them up.

You need to be viewing through the binoculars, and you need to have the target reticule red, or targetted on the survivor, before the icon will light up and let you use it.

Other than that, it's got me stumped.

rditto48801
04-25-09, 07:10 PM
You are clicking the "rescue" icon, aren't you?

If you click the binocular icon, then click the last Icon on the right (life preserver ring) you should be able to pick them up.

You need to be viewing through the binoculars, and you need to have the target reticule red, or targetted on the survivor, before the icon will light up and let you use it.

Other than that, it's got me stumped.

Thanks.
I never noticed that option before. :-?
I knew I needed to use the binoculars, but not that I had to click on the one button, I thought I was supposed to click on the survivors while in binocular mode.

Thanks for pointing it out, although I wonder how I missed it in the first place. :06:

I have no paper manual with SH4 Gold, just a PDF manual on the disk that makes it tricky for me to look through, and which I could not find info relating to such things beyond the fact that life guard missions existed... The "Rescue Survivor" button is not even mentioned in the PDF manual under the buttons listed for the Bridge.

Maybe you could also point out where the "Hold Fire", "Medium Range" and "Long Range" buttons for the Deck and AA gun are supposed to be at, since the manual says they are supposed to be there, but I don't see them in game. It is annoying to see two dozen HE shells wasted on a tanker that is already a floating bonfire of large size... at least the deck gun stopped firing after the fireworks started. :dead:

peabody
04-25-09, 08:06 PM
Maybe you could also point out where the "Hold Fire", "Medium Range" and "Long Range" buttons for the Deck and AA gun are supposed to be at, since the manual says they are supposed to be there, but I don't see them in game. It is annoying to see two dozen HE shells wasted on a tanker that is already a floating bonfire of large size... at least the deck gun stopped firing after the fireworks started. :dead:

Hold fire is the "Fire at Will" button in the off position. (or not depressed)
Long Range is "Short Range" button in the off position.

Medium Range is in the list of buttons you can add using "SH4 Menumaker", I never tested these to see if it makes a difference set to Medium range or if it even works.

Peabody

Folducker
04-25-09, 08:42 PM
Thanks.
I have no paper manual with SH4 Gold, just a PDF manual on the disk that makes it tricky for me to look through, and which I could not find info relating to such things beyond the fact that life guard missions existed... The "Rescue Survivor" button is not even mentioned in the PDF manual under the buttons listed for the Bridge.

Don't hold your breathe as far as any help from the manual goes. It's a joke, and not a very funny one at that. The best "manual" is right here. (Guys a whole lot smarter than me will answer you're questions:DL)

rditto48801
04-26-09, 07:49 AM
Hold fire is the "Fire at Will" button in the off position. (or not depressed)
Long Range is "Short Range" button in the off position.

Medium Range is in the list of buttons you can add using "SH4 Menumaker", I never tested these to see if it makes a difference set to Medium range or if it even works.

Peabody

In the mentioned situation with the burning tanker, pressing the 'fire at will' button was one of the things I tried that did not work, and also the "Man the Deck Gun" button, both times of which the button simply 'flashed' and stayed in the 'on' position. :nope:

Considering the fact I have had watch crew on duty while 200ft underwater, and CO2 troubles and no watch crew when surfaced, I sometimes wonder if SH4 needs to be sent to obedience school so it actually does what it is supposed to when it is supposed to do it.

Would it be possible to use the mentioned SH4 Menumaker to 'separate' the options into separate buttons, to make a separate "Fire at Will" and "Hold Fire" buttons?

Don't hold your breathe as far as any help from the manual goes. It's a joke, and not a very funny one at that. The best "manual" is right here. (Guys a whole lot smarter than me will answer you're questions:DL)

I already figured out the manual is a joke, a very bad one at that, I can't help wonder if some stuff is just a cut and paste job from SH3... such as the decoys...

I got one other Ubisoft game with some questionable problems, so I can't help but wonder what the heck is going through their heads of late.

Tony845
04-26-09, 10:11 AM
I've been working on a MS Word version of the manual and it is almost (never??) finished. I have incorporated a lot of tips and corrected some of the text. Still a lot more tips that could be added, I'm sure. If you wish, you can see what I have done so far and maybe it will help. The site is http://www/foxtraffic.net . Not much there yet but it's coming along.

NOTE: for some reason, each page has to have the 'www' added to it. Still working on updates for that too. Works on my pc without it but not on my wife's. Strange.

Tony

Tony845
04-26-09, 10:17 AM
That's http://www.foxtraffic.net . Sorry for the typo.