PDA

View Full Version : This mod would greatly enhance ETW

Castout
04-25-09, 03:07 AM
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237457

Enough said. You must play with this mod or you'll be missing much. This is what ETW should have been in the first place.

Beside this mod I recommend getting new music too. Just seach using the keyword 'classic music mod' in that site.

Arclight
04-25-09, 12:21 PM
Looks great. That will definitely send my card crying to it's mommy. :D

mr chris
04-25-09, 12:55 PM
Been playing with it since his first release. Is a must have mod IMHO.:up:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/MrChris99/UO0019.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/MrChris99/UO0013.jpg

Castout
04-25-09, 06:49 PM
Looks great. That will definitely send my card crying to it's mommy. :D

Actually I don't notice [noticeable] performance drop and my GPU is a humble 9800 GTX+. Anyway I play with medium sized unit probably that helps a lot.

Arclight
04-26-09, 01:13 AM
Humble 9800GTX+, that's frickin high-end. :rotfl:

Guess that makes my 8800GTS ancient. :wah:

*btw I noticed some drop in that demo video. Maybe you just haven't been making enough smoke. :hmmm:

HunterICX
04-26-09, 08:12 AM

*btw I noticed some drop in that demo video. Maybe you just haven't been making enough smoke. :hmmm:

Ah....Me and my 8800GT aren't alone out there :03:

HunterICX

stabiz
04-26-09, 08:57 AM
I fired up the game and tested a pitched battle with the smoke mod, and I had pretty much the same fps with the smoke mod, all settings on ultra (I think). I have the HD4870.

Have anyone tried the Darthmod? I have installed that too but havent started the campaign yet.

CaptainHaplo
04-26-09, 09:40 AM
I just picked up ETW at the same time I got COH Tov - and it runs - barely - on my machine.

For those complaining about their cards - my lowly 1650 still runs it - though it does freeze on occasion - and I have to have the unit size and everything set to small/low detail. :haha:

Still it runs - not sure on my thoughts just yet though. No way I could run the mod above though.

Question - has anyone made a turn length mod as yet? 100 turns to conquer 25 or so territories just isn't enough.

Arclight
04-26-09, 10:12 AM
Ah....Me and my 8800GT aren't alone out there :03:

HunterICXNo sir, you are not. :salute:

Paid an arm and a leg for the darn thing so I'm sticking with it. :shifty:
I fired up the game and tested a pitched battle with the smoke mod, and I had pretty much the same fps with the smoke mod, all settings on ultra (I think). I have the HD4870... Well there's your problem. That thing has twice the memory and quite a bit more memory bandwith. The G92 8800s tend to choke up a little in that department.
For those complaining about their cards - my lowly 1650 still runs it - though it does freeze on occasion - and I have to have the unit size and everything set to small/low detail. :haha:
I ain't complaining. Just saying a 9800GTX+ ain't nothing humble. :D

mr chris
04-26-09, 11:53 AM
Have anyone tried the Darthmod? I have installed that too but havent started the campaign yet.

I have it installed and am loving it. Running with that and the smoke mod makes me smile.:sunny:

Castout
04-26-09, 03:34 PM

Hmm actually the 8800 chip is the same with the 9800 chip the difference only in the clocking.

So I guess performance wise 8800 should not differ very much than a 9800( Just that they changed their line name to 9000 series while in fact they are still using the same chip as the 8000 series just because 9800 sounds better than a 8800, doh the witchcraft of marketing people). The 9000 series effectively put a stop on the sale of the 8000 series. I was going to buy the 8800GT only to be told that they are no more and after some reading I found out that Nvidia basically changed the name to 9800. With some improvement in clocking of course. Go figure!

And I wouldn't consider 9800GTX+ a high end GPU. At most it's a mid end GPU since 8800(its chip origin) has been around for quite some time though when it first came out it was a high end GPU indeed, top of the line card from NVidia actually, tagged accordingly too. The price tag really reflects it. Current high end GPUs are those with a price tag starting from and over 300 bucks imo.

I'm using medium sized unit. So maybe that helps quite a bit. My fps is not that great either averaging lower 30s to upper 20s sometimes it even bogged down to the range of mid 10s. But I think it could be because of my weak CPU(dual core 2 GHz). I intend to upgrade my CPU very soon. One at a time one at a time.

Arclight
04-26-09, 06:36 PM
Darn my smartass-ness.

First of all, g92 8800 are on 65nm process. 9800GTX+ is on 55nm. Older 9-series are indeed same chip "generation" as g92 8800s.

But you're right about performance; 8-series and 9-seies are praticaly the same. That was the biggest complaint from people as the 9-series was introduced. It's only with the GTX series that we saw real improvements, but those cards had their own issues (peak power draw for one).

About the high-end; 9800GTX+ is as high as you can get without moving on to GTX-series. IMHO age doesn't factor in to it; the card may be mid-range for todays standards, but it was launched as an enthousiast level card, so that's what it is.

Whew, sorry for that. :D
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/interwebswrong-11.jpg

BTW; what board and CPU are you using? My C2D 2.66GHZ is running at 3.2GHZ (without temp increase) easy. Really depends on what the board can support. :hmmm:

Castout
04-27-09, 05:22 AM
Darn my smartass-ness.

First of all, g92 8800 are on 65nm process. 9800GTX+ is on 55nm. Older 9-series are indeed same chip "generation" as g92 8800s.

But you're right about performance; 8-series and 9-seies are praticaly the same. That was the biggest complaint from people as the 9-series was introduced. It's only with the GTX series that we saw real improvements, but those cards had their own issues (peak power draw for one).

About the high-end; 9800GTX+ is as high as you can get without moving on to GTX-series. IMHO age doesn't factor in to it; the card may be mid-range for todays standards, but it was launched as an enthousiast level card, so that's what it is.

Whew, sorry for that. :D
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/interwebswrong-11.jpg

BTW; what board and CPU are you using? My C2D 2.66GHZ is running at 3.2GHZ (without temp increase) easy. Really depends on what the board can support. :hmmm:

Hehehe I see no need to apologize lol :) I appreciate being corrected. The knowledge could come handy. I already knew about 9800GTX+ using smaller die(55nm just as those in the GTX series instead of the usual 65nm). In fact I bought 9800GTX+ mainly because I don't want to strain my PSU(630Watt) and of course the affordable price, I was using 8600GT then, heck 8800 series were so expensive then buying them would force me into a 40 day fasting. My board is Gigabyte S-series P35-DS3. My CPU is a Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz.

Well I tried overclocking didn't like the temp increase. I live in a hot humid tropics. So the ambient temp is already pretty high as I usually don't turn on the aircon. I figured why not upgrading to Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz. My reason for upgrading is that many games even new ones don't take advantage of multicore CPU to its fullest so the speed of the single core matters very much. But people are still buying Quad core hmm 2 to run the latest game while the other two for hackers checking out the HDD :rotfl: and malwares running in the background. Very considerate I must say.

Arclight
04-27-09, 09:47 AM
The other 2 cores are to make sure converting their screenshots to .jpg is fast. :rotfl:

Here's what I did on my board (gigabyte ga-ep35-ds4); CPU has normal bus of 1333MHZ, board supports 1600MHZ max. Just put the CPU at 1600MHZ and it runs fine. No voltage increase needed. IMHO if your board supports higher bus speed, it's worth a shot before you fork over another fortune for a new CPU. 3rd party cooler is advisable though. :hmmm:

I can get a 9800GTX+ for only half what I paid for my 8800GTS 512 at the time. Ridiculous. :-?

Castout
04-29-09, 07:14 PM
I can get a 9800GTX+ for only half what I paid for my 8800GTS 512 at the time. Ridiculous. :-?

Yea :haha:. So never ever buy a top of the line card unless you have some extra money I mean really extra you don't know what to do with it. I heard now 4870 is sold at reasonable price. And it's a much powerful card than 8800/9800. That's the GPU to go after imo.

Btw anyone who's experiencing stutter with the smoke mod please trun off the volumetric effect that would help A LOT.